Website sales on EBAY! comment?
    hallo, I was thinking of buying website listed on ebay.

more to erm...NICHE content market...

I was thinking does it actually able to earn money on it? because they offer thier content change daily (fresh) RSS FEED I think they are refering..

as fast as I know...RSS feed are full of junk or advertisement

profit source
    1.adsense (does people actually click on it?)
    2.amazon aso.. (fo people buy from it?)

What do you think bout it?

By the way..what does RSS feed stand for?

RSS = really simply sindication.

I have yet to subscribe to one that is all junk...
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Affiliate Manager
    Yeah, most feeds are for blogs, news sites, etc and as such, I've never come across a junk feed - although some of these blogs and news sites may be junk. One is meant to subscribe to an RSS feed of interest, no one would subscribe to a feed that is junk.

For the other things you mentioned on your post:

1.adsense (does people actually click on it?)
    - Yes

2.amazon also.. (do people buy from it?)
    - Absolutely, They'd not be a company worth 18 Billion dollars otherwise, would they?
    Join The [B][URL=http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=10705]Giftshoppingzone.com[/URL] [/B] Affiliate Program on SAS - [B]10% on sales , Unlimited cookie, over 15,000 products in datafeed![/B]
    [URL=http://gift-ideas.giftshoppingzone.com/]Gift Ideas[/URL]

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    how much are they asking for?
    Ball park

What is the unique visit #?

Please NOTE that the # of hits can be skewed cos sometimes, there are people creating unique bots and crawling his/her own site.

Where is the traffic coming from?
    Russia? China? US?

What traffic are you looking for?
    US traffic, then minus out the foreign traffic

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    A lot of website sales on eBay are the same people selling the same site over and over again. They sell the site to you, go out and buy another similar domain, then sell the site again to the next poor sap.

Have a look through the previous auctions of the seller to see how many people own your site already, and think "google duplicate content penalty".

Then also realise that your site will get zero traffic and no you're have to figure out how to get relevant traffic for it. And that often the merchants they've set up for the site SUCK to..

so you mean the merchant selling website in ebay..are all crap?

To ashok..
    i mean do people click thru the amazon ads on our website and buy it?

you mean they get no visitor at all?

hmm... how can I see the web traffic origin from?

If you're interested in buying sites the only place that took it seriously is http://www.sitepointforums.com/marketplace/

Good luck

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zx88

To ashok..
    i mean do people click thru the amazon ads on our website and buy it?

you mean they get no visitor at all?

hmm... how can I see the web traffic origin from?
    Not always bad domains/sites.......just be careful and do your homework on the topic. Copy a few phrases from the site and google/yahoo/msn the phrase, to see about other sites out there.

You can find some decent domains/sites for sale at namepros dot com as well.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    These sound like auto-generated "content???" sites that make money via contextual advertising and basically run on autopilot. The RSS feeds provide content. What they really sound like to me are Made-For-Adsense sites that currently clutter up the SERPS. My hunch is that the boom will be lowered on these sites very soon - perhaps this is why they are being auctioned off.

So if I am correct, and they run on autopilot, then the person would be foolish to sell them if they actually generated money. The exception would be perhaps selling the site at a very high price on the order of 4 or 5 times one years net earnings. Or, this person knows that the days for this type of site are numbered.

I would never sell a low/no maintenance site that produced a profit. I keep the site around and perhaps try to improve on it when I get the time. It is increasingly difficult these days to launch a new site and make it profitable. I guess, however, if I owned one of these trash MFA sites I would unload it.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

* * * hmm... how can I see the web traffic origin from?
    I sold a very real web site on eBay in 1999 for $175,000 (it was then earning more than $10,000 per month from advertising).

But most web sites offered for sale on eBay are not worth a dime.

Ask for the log files. Ask for stats. Ask for PROOF that the claims made are true -- that the AdSense and Amazon incomes are actually for this specific site (and are not aggregate figures that include other sites). As noted, look for any signs that this seller is building and reselling sites which don't retain value.

Look at the PageRank that Google currently assigns the site; identify which search phrases drive traffic to the site currently and run a google search to see where the site comes up in the list.

A very simple manipulation is to send traffic to a site using PPC on Google, Yahoo, MSN, etc. in the months prior to sale, and then that traffic disappears when the sale occurs.

Don't buy a business without actually understanding how the business works, where the money comes from, what is being spent and earned, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonny
    If you're interested in buying sites the only place that took it seriously is http://www.sitepointforums.com/marketplace/

Good luck

Great! Site! thank for sharing info

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    These sound like auto-generated "content???" sites that make money via contextual advertising and basically run on autopilot. The RSS feeds provide content. What they really sound like to me are Made-For-Adsense sites that currently clutter up the SERPS. My hunch is that the boom will be lowered on these sites very soon - perhaps this is why they are being auctioned off.

So if I am correct, and they run on autopilot, then the person would be foolish to sell them if they actually generated money. The exception would be perhaps selling the site at a very high price on the order of 4 or 5 times one years net earnings. Or, this person knows that the days for this type of site are numbered.

I would never sell a low/no maintenance site that produced a profit. I keep the site around and perhaps try to improve on it when I get the time. It is increasingly difficult these days to launch a new site and make it profitable. I guess, however, if I owned one of these trash MFA sites I would unload it.

lol, don't get me wrong!

erm..they sell for around 1 USD only..which is I consider cheap.. but however there is a bid contract..which is i need to host under them for 9.95USD per month for 100MB space 2GB bandwitdh..which I consider wow..hell super not worth it! but if is making money I don't mind..but I see they been selling and selling the same layout design.. I don't know I would get a good visitor..

So what do you think.. but I don't find some merchant offer a guarantee 20k profit for the 1st 3month or they will pay me double...hmm sound interesting..I don't know is just a sweet talk or worse a scam?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I would pass.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    I sold a very real web site on eBay in 1999 for $175,000 (it was then earning more than $10,000 per month from advertising).

But most web sites offered for sale on eBay are not worth a dime.

Ask for the log files. Ask for stats. Ask for PROOF that the claims made are true -- that the AdSense and Amazon incomes are actually for this specific site (and are not aggregate figures that include other sites). As noted, look for any signs that this seller is building and reselling sites which don't retain value.

Look at the PageRank that Google currently assigns the site; identify which search phrases drive traffic to the site currently and run a google search to see where the site comes up in the list.

A very simple manipulation is to send traffic to a site using PPC on Google, Yahoo, MSN, etc. in the months prior to sale, and then that traffic disappears when the sale occurs.

Don't buy a business without actually understanding how the business works, where the money comes from, what is being spent and earned, etc.
    thank for replying..

page rank mostly are ZERO ----NIL!!

hmm.. you sold it for 175k USD? and it is earning a 10k in ads now.. won't you feel sad bout it..if for me I will feel regret for selling it..haha

let get to the point, they do list the adsense profit and so on..very high income..but the fact is in the picture listing some are being modified (not very sure bout it)...

Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    I would pass.

HUH! what do you mean?

ABW Ambassador
    I would do a search for website sales or trading etc, i have bunch of bookmarked sites that run website trading. i would be careful of buying websites on ebay as all the ones i checked over seemed pretty weird. It might be different if you are after a high price purchase as some owners may run them on Ebay as well.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

hmm.. you sold it for 175k USD? and it is earning a 10k in ads now.. won't you feel sad bout it..if for me I will feel regret for selling it..haha..
    Read again: the site (Adbility) was earning more than $10,000 per month in advertising revenue at the time I sold it, in 1999. I didn't believe the "dot-com bubble" was sustainable, and I said so. At the time, I earned more money "per hour" as an attorney and consultant, than spending the same time working on the web site.

To the best of my knowledge, the buyer did not ultimately "earn back" his investment, mostly because he didn't spend any time selling advertising or updating the site. I don't think any 'traditional' ads have appeared on the site in several years, and the listings are woefully out of date.

ic ic ic... interesting.. hmm..why does the owner want to buy if he/she is not dedicate to?

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread