Yesterday I saw a nice $100+ single commission come in and started poking around to see if it was from PPC, organic, etc. The tracking code looked organic, so I checked the logs, found the visitor and checked out where they came from, what they clicked on within the site and so on.

It turns out they came from some odd sub-domain of a bogus sounding search domain. I visited and it had the look and feel of a facade used to justify software traffic. It also had an obvious BHO parasite thumbprint - the words "Just type your search into your address bar" or some such. I mean why suggest you type a search into your address bar if they didn't assume they were on your machine ready to provide their results? I poked around some more and found that one of the other subdomains on the domain had a history of being a parasite.

A lot of these guys feed PPC search results to their victims and back those up by pulling in real search results from MSN, Google, etc when they don't have enough PPC. It looks like, in this case, one of those real search back fill results passed along a paying customer - one the parasite wasn't able to capitalize on. That strikes me as ironic...