Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Angry Sales gone down hill lately!
    I'm very concerned that sales have been extremely slow in last few months, actually since the LMI thing at CJ I have seen my sas sales go downhill. Back a few months ago I was doing well but now it's terrible. But the strange thing is that I'm doing fine on other networks but not on sas anymore, seems really weird and I have not done anything different and in fact I'm always improving things, adding new sas merchants etc and updating older merchants links. Maybe it could be that since LMI many affiliates starting promoting sas merchants and they just have dominated and taken those sales away from me now? Could it be someone hijacking my links? Any idea on what it is would be appreciated.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The mass cookie setting and PPCSE affiliates have expanded to pushing SAS merchants so they do dilute the opportunity. Look at the SAS merchant stat graphs and you'll see when the cookie stuffers and e-mail spammers kick in on various merchants. Just cause the network is clean doesn't mean their affiliates are...
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

15 years and counting
    glinted - Any idea on what it is would be appreciated.
    Competition is one factor, more affiliates at SAS means less sales for each affiliate, at least for a while, the market doesn't expand as fast as the nb of affiliates.
    Timing is an other factor, October is never a great month, sales are picking up in November.
    Economy is an other factor, even if the price of gas is down many people are still broke.
    Traffic, overall I'm seeing less traffic this month, people are not really looking to buy stuff they don't need yet or they can't afford.
    Ranking, Google is always tweaking algos, shuffling serps, looking to downgrade affiliate sites...

Zeus. What I have trouble believing is why would Google downgrade affiliate sites if they have their ads on them? Would it not be better for Google to try help affiliate sites thru their Adsense program?

15 years and counting
    Mailman - Would it not be better for Google to try help affiliate sites thru their Adsense program?
    They took the heat because of affiliates abusing Adsense, have you heard of Made for Adsense Sites? Spamming at its best.
    So, one way they are making money but on the same time, people are questionning their integrity. Not to good for their investors. They had to do something.

Why are they going after regular affiliates? Once again because of abuse. Thousand and thousand of affiliates using datafeed (or the same merchant descriptions) bringing no added value to their serps. If you could set off their filters, you'll see the same listing over and over, pages of the same information.

Zeus,

I have to respectfully disagree...the economy has never been better and people are not broke. All reported statistics point to that. Shoot I see this first hand in all the traveling I do. Folks are spending money like crazy.

Lagging sales are just a part of the whole rollercoaster ride in affiliate marketing. I'm having a record month myself...maybe I'm the one sucking up the sales My bet lagging sales is mostly competition.

Best wishes,
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

15 years and counting
    Good to see it's working for you. If you look at the past threads at ABW, you'll see people complaining about sales and others happy about their results. It's a rollercoaster for sure.
    Regarding the economy, it's like affiliate marketing, it depends of your vertical. If you're selling Halloween related products, it's going to be a good month, maybe harder later on. My spouse is selling high technology to the Defense industry, I assure you the economy is doing great. Is it true everywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    Good to see it's working for you. If you look at the past threads at ABW, you'll see people complaining about sales and others happy about their results. It's a rollercoaster for sure.
    Regarding the economy, it's like affiliate marketing, it depends of your vertical. If you're selling Halloween related products, it's going to be a good month, maybe harder later on. My spouse is selling high technology to the Defense industry, I assure you the economy is doing great. Is it true everywhere?
    I agree, depending on your vertical the economy could suck. In that case, it's time to reevaluate and adjust. The fact is there will always be people hurting financially no matter how good the economy is. Right now the overall economy is doing super. I predict record sales this holiday season. I wish everyone the best!

Oh, by the way, I haven't sold one single Halloween related product this month.

Cheers,
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

Cool
    after a 5-6 month drought in sales in any network, SAS is due to send me the biggest commission check I've seen from them this month.

ABW Ambassador
    Hi thanks for the feedback, I did have a issue with my hosting about 2 months ago and it caused a traffic slide but it has been picking up in last month and is back to how it was now. As mentioned I have not had the same problems with other networks, in fact with CJ I have had one of my best weeks for sometime while sas I'm not seeing any sales at all lately?

I think ecomcity may be onto something unfortunately for me, I have a feeling that someone is taking my cookies etc although I have no idea how they do this or what I can do about it to stop it? What is PPCSE affiliates btw, I guess it means something to do with parasites?

Well I just added a number of new merchants and updated some sas links and will see how it goes, if I get no sales in the next few days I may have to stop spending any more time trying especially when other networks are working well. This is a shame as I like many things about the sas program...
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glinted
    Hi thanks for the feedback, I did have a issue with my hosting about 2 months ago and it caused a traffic slide but it has been picking up in last month and is back to how it was now. As mentioned I have not had the same problems with other networks, in fact with CJ I have had one of my best weeks for sometime while sas I'm not seeing any sales at all lately?

I think ecomcity may be onto something unfortunately for me, I have a feeling that someone is taking my cookies etc although I have no idea how they do this or what I can do about it to stop it? What is PPCSE affiliates btw, I guess it means something to do with parasites?

Well I just added a number of new merchants and updated some sas links and will see how it goes, if I get no sales in the next few days I may have to stop spending any more time trying especially when other networks are working well. This is a shame as I like many things about the sas program...
    Nothing illegal about it but the big gun direct to merchant PPCSE players can push hundreds of thousands of clicks on select SAS merchants washing all return day cookies during peak shopping periods. They pounce at the drop of a hat using click/cost arbritrige and move on to the next target when the immediate profits dip. After they leave conversions return back to normal as the return day cookies come back in play. Expect the same rollicoaster conversion ride when new coupons get offered and announced at ABW and in newsletters. Couponers use PPCSE and many leverage 2 & 3rd level PPCSE campaigns to ride the BHO popup trains targeting SAS merchants at peak times.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

15 years and counting
    What is PPCSE affiliates btw, I guess it means something to do with parasites?
    PPCSE affiliates are affiliates paying per click search engines for showing their ads. You have clean (more or less) SEs like MSN, Yahoo, Google (the service is know as AdWords), and
    dirty SEs, they are too many to list ( 7 seach, ask... and
    parasites like 180Solutions (known as Zango), Direct Revenue or others, popping their ads above sites to steal your commissions...

I have a feeling that someone is taking my cookies
    If you're working in an infested vertical, your cookies are immediatly overwritten but I don't think somebody is targeting your sites.

ABW Ambassador
    ok thanks guys for explaining all this.. i have a coupon site but don't do any tricks but just plain hard work but lately i have started experimenting with adwords because it seems everyone else is doing it from what I pick up on the forum etc,. I think i have spent about $10 over 2 weeks so as I said it's just experimenting and I hope I'm not now also classed as a PPCSE affiliate. whatever these heavy duty PPCSE affiliates are doing sounds like it should be stopped or picked up by the networks to protect legit sites that are doing all the hard work. I may not be a victim of this but it sounds bad and we need to get some protection an all this sort of thing.

15 years and counting
    whatever these heavy duty PPCSE affiliates are doing sounds like it should be stopped
    There's nothing wrong to be a PPCSE affiliate with programs like MSN, Yahoo, Google. The dirty ones are laundering traffic, mixing clean and parasitic traffic, parasites are parasites.
    PPCSE affiliates are taking sales from SEO affiliates, it's a fact, but it's the game too. SEs needs to monetize their traffic so PPCSE is going to increase.

ABW Ambassador
    Probably just hit a rough spot, it happens.

"The mass cookie setting and PPCSE affiliates have expanded to pushing SAS merchants so they do dilute the opportunity."

If someone clicks a link from my site over to the merchant, where does a PPCSE affiliate come into play? It doesn't. A parasite might come into play but SAS doesn't have parasites.

"I think i have spent about $10 over 2 weeks so as I said it's just experimenting and I hope I'm not now also classed as a PPCSE affiliate."

There's nothing wrong with using PPC, many affiliates do.

Glinted...I agree. My sales are generally way down. I know some for a fact is competition for a particular product I push that use to bring big money.

The other.....tracking problems for SAS. I purchase through my links a lot and lately have had 2 sales missed. The latest had the merchant asking SAS what happened. The answer...they don't know. That concerns me that there are many others sales being missed. There is no argument on this one paragraph. They just flat didn't know what happened.

I'm not going to give up on SAS but it did put a disappointing doubt in the back of my mind.

ABW Ambassador
    PPCSE affiliates are taking sales from SEO affiliates, it's a fact, but it's the game too. SEs needs to monetize their traffic so PPCSE is going to increase.
    I may have to take a week out and do some research on adwords & start playing the game if I'm going to make any sales with sas by the looks. I preferred the seo method though as it's more rewarding & if not affected by ppc then just grows, ppc seems more about who wants to spend $ to make $ and getting lucky.

There's nothing wrong with using PPC, many affiliates do.
    I agree but it's a shame that it takes away from other affiliates. maybe some are just getting too much but I guess it's time to start paying the game too which looks to be the only way to deal with it.

On this subject, are other networks like CJ & Linkshare not susceptible to this ppc affiliate domination game?

Glinted...I agree. My sales are generally way down.
    thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one affected by this phenomenon.
    Let's hear from others if your reading this,let us know if you have also been affected by this lately? don't be shy, I know its not easy to own up that your not doing so well but we need to find out how deep a problem this is.

Some affiliate ppc your brand name & domain name and thats just wrong!
    [B][URL=http://ablogfullofgames.blogspot.com/]Blog Games[/URL]
    [URL="http://fractalenlightenment.blogspot.com"][COLOR="Red"]Our Blog[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by glinted
    ppc seems more about who wants to spend $ to make $ and getting lucky.
    Don't want to turn this into an SEO vs PPC bash again, but it has nothing to do with luck, and everything to do with numbers, research, and persistence.

ABW Ambassador
    >>>Some affiliate ppc your brand name & domain name and thats just wrong!

You need specific RULES in your TOS and enforce them.

ABW Ambassador
    Some affiliate ppc your brand name & domain name and thats just wrong!
    This is one of the issues I need to research & work how to approach... I see lots of emails about this from various merchants outlining that you can't bid on
    {company name}
    {companyname.com}
    etc

but from what I understand it's ok to create an ad with a title like {companyname.com} Shoes

but it's not ok to run an ad with a title like this:
    click here for {companyname.com}

Or does it mean that you can not use {company name} or {companyname.com} under no circumstances whatsoever?

but it has nothing to do with luck
    yes I agree and it wasn't the correct word

I purchase through my links a lot and lately have had 2 sales missed. The latest had the merchant asking SAS what happened. The answer...they don't know.
    Doesn't this hurt SAS also In that they loose their commission? There is a lot of anti adware/spyware crap out there now deleting cookies. I was looking at a friend's PC with Firefox and he had it set to clear cookies when he shut down the browser.

op:

as a merchant, i was just saying the same thing to myself. a lack of sales would reflect directly unto the affiliates obviously.

waiting 'til november to start being concerned though. :-D

ABW Ambassador
    "I agree but it's a shame that it takes away from other affiliates."

No it's not Other affiliates promoting the same stuff as you are competitors. Whether they get there traffic from PPC, SEO etc. If you have a better position for a search term than another affiliate, that's a good thing, nothing to feel bad about it.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I agree with TrustNo1 - just like you shouldn't feel bad for anything else ethical that you do to promote your biz - like have an attractive website, or cool features, or interesting newsletter, or famous spokesperson, or good tv ads...

And I am on track to have my best month ever - perhaps 10% beyond my existing record month. The economy's healthy, people are buying online and my business itself continues to grow as well. There's some variations, like Trust said, and these are normal business patterns. Stick with it, Q4 is heating up. Now is not the time to back down or get sour - this time of year is time to hit the gas pedal.

Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast