Paying to List Your affiliate program
    I've noticed a few websites that offer to list your affiliate program for a nominal fee. Does anyone know if they are worth it? If so, can they recommend one. The 2 that I happened to see were Affiliateguide.com and AffiliatePrograms.com. Thanks.

Kerri
    kkaufmann@Choiceshirts.com

ABW Ambassador
    Probably not. Most aren't kept updated and the visitors are usually extreme newbies. Why not just bump the announcement you made a few years ago?

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...5&page=2&pp=25

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Probably not. Most aren't kept updated and the visitors are usually extreme newbies. Why not just bump the announcement you made a few years ago?

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...5&page=2&pp=25

...it can be an extremely effective way to use the spot! Listen to what Trust says!!

Geno

What do you mean by bump the announcement. I'm new to the ABW lingo. Thanks for your advice.

ABW Ambassador
    Click on the link, say hello again, reintroduce the program, tell us what's happening. Along those lines.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Click on the link, say hello again, reintroduce the program, tell us what's happening. Along those lines.
    + if you are doing something within your program (be it affiliate tools, promos, bonuses, limited-time commission increase opportunities, coupons, or anything else), keep affiliates posted on the news by publishing them in that thread of yours. It will let others know that you are not just some stagnant (maybe even no longer existing!) program without an affiliate manager (read: that does not care about its affiliates)...

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Choicemgr
    I've noticed a few websites that offer to list your affiliate program for a nominal fee. Does anyone know if they are worth it? If so, can they recommend one.
    I've asked a number of these sites for traffic figures and references -- and none of them has ever replied with that information.

I don't mind paying to promote my affiliate program (as we did here on ABW), but I'm not going to pay someone a premium price for advertising if they won't give me the most basic information.

That's what I figured, but I wanted some input just to make sure.

Thanks,
    Kerri

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I concur with Mark on this one. If they can't give you even basic information about their audience etc., beware.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Online Marketing Consultant
    I had one write me and when I asked for the demograqphics they froze. Then when I said can you at least let me know if they mainly do B2B or B2C or what types of programs they typically look for, they said they do not have that information. I would wait to find one that does have a good amount of info and then consider the spend.

Thanks for your input - I appreciate the feedback.

I'd like to offer a divergent opinion. Sure, avoid the directories offering 302 redirect links, dynamic directory pages that never get crawled, the ones that bug you for listings, etc, but do some research and be willing to spend a few bucks to get your name out there.

- Vaguely relevant anecdote:

A couple years ago I had a domain that needed something done with it, so I tossed together what I used to call a "...crumby little affiliate marketing directory" in my ABW sig. Most affiliates don't feel like sharing their money making sites and I was no exception, so that seemed like an appropriate use of the sig space (swapped it out only last week when I launched Black Cat).

Anyway, to get listed, I asked programs to either link back or pay a one-time fee of $25 to cover the time it took me to get off my butt and put a page together for them (each listing got its own static page with static links to the program). I'm not sure what the other directories charge, but it seemed to me that a cheapo one-time fee for my efforts was fair enough and the static pages with static links offered tangible value to the programs.

It was just a little side-project, a distraction really, so I wasn't bothered about making a killing or even a profit. I just wanted to do something with the domain. Anyway, I used to get lots and lots and lots of submissions, but I think I only had one taker on the fee.

That strikes me as just plain silly.

I know, I know, why would anyone want to list in what even the owner considers a "...crumby little" anything, but on the flip side, why would an affiliate join a program that wants a free lunch?

As I said, lots of programs took the time to have a paid human research, find the site and submit - a process that involved filling out a lengthy and detailed submission form that clearly explained the fee or link requirement - yet they all balked when it came to actually paying the fee to see their listing go live. One of the bulk submitter services even tried to convince me I would be getting lots of free content if I waived even a reduced fee and approved all their submissions!

My response was a polite, but definite no.

Maybe that experience, in combination with spending many years as an affiliate, a program manager and affiliate recruiter has me jaded, but it seems like a lot of programs just flat don't get it. A single affiliate can be worth their weight in gold, so don't dismiss any channel out of hand...

- Quiz related to the above anecdote:

Q. If one listing, netted a program just one productive affiliate, every 10 years, what would the ROI on that listing be?

A. The affiliate's weight in gold minus $25...

To me, and I think most affiliates, it's a no-brainer. Marketing costs money. If the ROI is positive, it's worth every penny.

Your goal is to take your own marketing efforts (through affiliate recruiting) and multiply them many times over by recruiting talented affiliates that will explore every marketing channel available, squeeze traffic out of a turnip if that's what it takes and drive sales to your program. You need to fulfill your part of that equation just as zealously as you'd want your affiliates to fulfill theirs, maybe more so.

Best of luck!
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread