ABW Ambassador
    Merchants Who Pull Stuff During The Holidays
    Just curious as to what people have seen so far, there is bound to be more.

I've noticed a couple posted this week.

Norm Thompson dropping commission from 6% to 2% on Oct. 31.

Buy.com adding a leak even tho they have the ability to suppress them as the do other ads they have.

Anything else? Something to be on the lookout for, some like to pull this kind of thing around the holidays. And there are some good ones that go in the opposite direction.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Consistency on rates
    Hopefully not a lot of merchants participate in this practice Trust.

I detest the logic behind dropping a sales forces commissions just because the holidays are coming and the affiliate will make more money. I understand the "bean counter" mentality that some merchants use to increase their own profits, but I think they fail to see that it is counter-productive to good long term affiliate relations.

A partner / merchant with their head in the right place would look forward to his/her affiliates having a hayday during the holidays. They should see the holidays as something that would charge the affiliate's batteries and get them "up" for the new year. They SHOULD be sending out newsletters to affiliates to get them pumped up to promote them harder during this time and rather than decreasing %, they should offer a bonus for reaching higher levels of sales during the holidays!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I had one merchant drop commissions by a few percent, but I think it was good intentioned, as they're trying to increase in other ways - but I'm not positive yet. Also, it's not near the ratio of the drop that Norm Thompson did; that's just plain rediculous. Drop it by 60 something percent, and I'd drop them like a bad habit.

On a another note - had one give me a permanent 3% increase a few days ago - so no complaints here..

http and a telephoto
    GoCollect closing their indy program Oct 31 without a way for those using the datafeed to get the new links yet, and not redirecting existing links. Lots of free traffic for them this season.... oh wait... gotta love htaccess.... *poof* all links going to new merchant.... I don't even care if they convert, just don't want GoCollect getting free traffic when they owe mucho $$$$ in pending orders....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Every year brings out the grinches selling favorite holiday gift giving items. That means Toy & Hobby merchants swapping networks or closing down affiliate programs during peak Holiday shopping periods. Playing wack-a-Mole with legit affiliate commissions from Holloween to Christmas is an annual event. Of course the BHO's, cookie stuffers and e-mail spammers rank in the holiday spiffs and cheer from the Adwhore crowd running programs.

I'll put on my Drakula and Santa Suit and dress up charlie for the holidays so He'll think all is well in EcomCity.... then I'll pass the Santa hat around to merchants who got lot's of clicks but no sales...

Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

interesting observations. I am specifically targeting companies and programs that may be lower than others at certain times of the year, but as they say in forex trading...."the trend is your freind".

Sure i might make alot less at the holidays in specific industries, but I won't have to change my model to accomodate things like shyster programs pulling this crap without notice.

Buy.com adding a leak even tho they have the ability to suppress them as the do other ads they have.
    Trust, just out of curiousity, where's the leak?

Internet Cowboy
    A motorcycle program cancelled all custom coupons last Holiday season. I won't say the name...rhymes with GideRear...they sent me one for half the value about 4 months later. I just laughed and filed the email and moved on.

This was all on top of, "we're coming out with a new site"..."no whe're not!!"..."Yes We Are"..five day rollout....."No Whe're Not, change all links back..."...etc etc...what a mess of a program.

Buy.com is about to pull something, they are about to add leaks to their pages just before the holidays.

Doh I should read the first post in its entirety before posting

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by karomesis
    Trust, just out of curiousity, where's the leak?
    It's talked about in this thread:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=80358

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Black Forest Decor (SAS) dropped their commission rate from 10% to 5%. Read about it here http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=80859

Please see full thread in the posting mentioned above. Clarifications are presented.

web dev with whiskers tn-morgen's Avatar
    :down: I had other merchants doing wierd stuff, tho'
    I had a merchant on LS pulling products as late as December 5th. All of a sudden, stuff I was heavily promoting disappeared. I contacted them & was told the items were no longer available. I want to drop them, but I can't. They are the only source for some items.

I suddenly had all these links to pull. I'd never experienced that before (not that I have a lot of experience anyway!) and found it very disconcerting and upsetting. We are still people who have lives out here. It just didn't feel right and ethical.

But, what can a body do? We have to pull the links or get penalized by the SEs. I get 404s all over the place otherwise. (that's because I shield links)

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread