ABW Ambassador
    Banning Tag/People Over 35 Should Be Dead Pt. 2
    I saw this on the MSN homepage:

http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=D3...picks&GT1=8618

About some schools banning tag from playgrounds. I was shaking my head thru the whole thing. Why? Lawsuits, inappropriate touching by other children, injuries, etc. Reminded me of this old post from Sandra:

People over 35 should be dead.

Here's why ............

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 40's, 50's, 60's, or even maybe the early 70's probably shouldn't have survived.

Our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paint.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets, ... and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets. (Not to mention the risks we took
    hitchhiking.)

As children, we would ride in cars with no seatbelts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

Horrors!

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then rode down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.

After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.

NO CELL PHONES!!!!!

Unthinkable!

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo 64, X-Boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, video tape movies, surround sound, personal cell phones,
    personal computers, or Internet chat rooms.

We had friends!

We went outside and found them.

We played dodge ball, and sometimes, the ball would really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

They were accidents.

No one was to blame but us.

Remember accidents?

We had fights and punched each other and got black and blue and learned to get over it.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms, and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms
    live inside us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's home and knocked on the door, or rang the bell or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.

Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Some students weren't as smart as others, so they failed a grade and were held back to repeat the same grade.

Horrors!

Tests were not adjusted for any reason.

Our actions were our own.

Consequences were expected.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law.

Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever.

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

And you're one of them!

Congratulations!

To those of us who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good !!!!!

People under 30 are WIMPS!
    Last edited by Trust; October 20th, 2006 at 12:55 AM. Reason: spelling

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Great post Trust. I even ate spinach and lived to talk about it. Tuna too, even though the crazies said it was mercury in a can! Sandras old post was interesting too.

"We used to have friends. We went OUT and FOUND them."

I still DO, Thank God!! I make a living on the internet, but not many of my internet acquaintenances can join me for morning coffee, a beer after work (actually a red bull and vodka) - drop by on the spur of the moment, or get together for dinner on short notice.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Tuna too, even though the crazies said it was mercury in a can!
    speaking of which, two recent studies proved that the benefits of eating fatty cold water fish, far outweighed the potential for the absorbsion of mercury,PCB's and other nasty stuff.

Great post Trust. I guess I'm a wimp then

http and a telephoto
    I was thinking about this today actually, that I shouldn't still be alive.... lol.. my mother left food out all night and reheated it the next day. Potatoe and macaroni salad sat out in the sun for hours and we didn't get sick from eating it.... food would be in the fridge for longer that I care to admit and she made it for us for dinner - hey if it wasn't green who cares if it smelled a little? She cooked turkeys at 250 degrees for 24 hours after defrosting it on the counter for 2 days....

She's still alive too....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

My mom did all those things too Deb - it truly is amazing we are still here. I think about some of those things now that my parents did regarding keeping food too long in the fridge and still feeding us, or leaving it out on the counter etc - and the thought makes me sick - LOL
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

When I was about 7 years old I got mauled pretty bad by a neighbor's dog (I had been teasing it by playing fetch but not actually throwing the stick). The lady who owned the dog offered to pay medical expenses, and my parents told her not to worry about it. Went to the hospital to get stitched and bandaged up, and that was the end of it. I was OK.

Nowadays something like that would make the 6 O'Clock news and pad the pockets of two law firms.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

[QUOTE=loxly]I was thinking about this today actually, that I shouldn't still be alive.... lol.. my mother left food out all night and reheated it the next day. Potatoe and macaroni salad sat out in the sun for hours and we didn't get sick from eating it.... food would be in the fridge for longer that I care to admit and she made it for us for dinner - hey if it wasn't green who cares if it smelled a little? She cooked turkeys at 250 degrees for 24 hours after defrosting it on the counter for 2 days ]

So true Deb. I can't remember a single time that I or any of my 6 brothers or sisters got sick from Anything we ate, from undercooked pork to potato salad that had sat at room temp for a couple days. Makes me wonder why so many cases of food poisoning crop up today. Could it have anything to do with the addition of different chemicals etc that have a more serious effect on meats and veggies?

BTW, I still buy (and always will) Asian roasted whole ducks at the Asian butcher shop near Denver. It is cooked and hangs on hooks for days in the shop. yum
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Our bus stop was at the corner bar, The Band Box

Obviously, it wasn't open at 7am

We would play handball on the wall until the bus showed up

At some point, the owner started showing up and shooing us away every day - and at somepoint showed up with cops

Bunch of Cathilic school 5th graders in our plaid uniforms were being threatened that if we left the sidewalk busstop and touched the bar's parking lot, we'd be arrested for tresspasing

Why? Lawsuit.

He was afraid somone would fall, scrape their knee and sue.

That's the day I knew the world changed.

I agree with all of that. I remember when there were 3 channels to watch on TV.

I'm not a parent yet, so I guess I shouldn't say, but sometimes I cannot believe stories I hear about parents yelling at a teacher for giving their kid detention or a bad grade. My parents would have thanked the teacher and then grounded me when I got home.

When I was young, I worked very hard not to get in trouble at school. Not because I didn't want to go to the principal's office, but because I didn't want my parents to hear that I had been bad. They didn't beat me, or even yell at me (to this day I've never heard either of my parents yell) I just knew that I wasn't supposed to disappoint them.

Things seem so different now. Maybe I am just getting old.

PS - This thread was started regarding banning the game of tag. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Kids need to be running and exercising, and learning good sportsmanship. Geez.

Sheri

Yep, teachers are now babsitters with no authority to discipline a child who may need it.

When I was in school, the teachers could spank a student, as my principle did with me on a few occasions. I deserved the whacks, and I am still thankful that I was disciplined by my teachers when I deserved to be. It reinforced the upbringing my parents provided.

I know what I and other kids were like and kids are still the same. Difference is that teachers are in a no win situation. It's a pity

Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    Yep, teachers are now babsitters with no authority to discipline a child who may need it.

When I was in school, the teachers could spank a student, as my principle did with me on a few occasions. I deserved the whacks, and I am still thankful that I was disciplined by my teachers when I deserved to be. It reinforced the upbringing my parents provided.

I know what I and other kids were like and kids are still the same. Difference is that teachers are in a no win situation. It's a pity
    Teachers aren't being paid nearly enough either. I mean, they'll pay me good money to sit at a desk, and write code for 8 hours a day, but they pay peanuts to the people who actually teach people like me...

It makes no sense - and I'm a bit annoyed that it's still going on. This is especially so in the more conservative states (such as NC), where teachers get paid pennies for the crap they put up with..

I'm actually one of the strictest parents you'll ever meet, but also the one who allows ALOT of freedom too.

My daughter is almost 7 and when she was 3 one of her chores was to put her plate from dinner in the sink, now she washes the dishes, cleans her room, helps mop and sweep the floor ect. I let her have a tv with cable in her room and she can pretty much go anywhere on my street she wants.

I recently talked to some boomers I know who had a kid that was 7 and he asked if my daughter had "chores" I said of course, what are your chores? he said none. he gets toys candy ect, and has a sense of entitlement that many seem to have today like they're owed something by society, yeah right.

I got news for people like that, no ones gonna give you squat with that attitude and no one owes you jack.

It's a shame the world has become the way it has in many places, but out here in the villages it's much as it ever was.

In the summer holidays my youngest son (14) would go out with his friends at 9-11 a.m. depending on when he got up and we'd next see him at 5-9 p.m. depending on how hungry he was and whose parents had met the group of ravenous teenagers that day - some days we'd feed a whole bunch of them on last-nights left-overs in a sandwich and/or packs of sweet something and 2 litre bottles of cola.

When it got dark they played a game called 50-50 in ("upgraded" to fiddy-fiddy in!). He'd go out dressed totally in black like an urban terrorist (with hood or cap). The rules are irrelevant, but he'd come back many days with bruises, cuts and asorted sore muscles - diving onto whatever the ground is made of is more important than losing.

It's far more effective to find out what's dangerous and hurts by doing it than someone telling you.

I see many of the kids at the school I work at who just don't believe anything will harm them or expect you to keep a constant eye on them to keep them safe. I have an FAQ on the wall no.2 is "If you do something stupid and it hurts - it's your fault".

I have this spiel I give them "When Mr. Ward says don't do this - it's because it will hurt or make you ill - I don't do empty warnings" Then I tell them of the time a few years ago I nearly fainted in front of a class after inhaling a couple of lungs full of Hydrogen and hot sodium hydroxide vapour from an over-vigorous reaction - and how my son and I narrowly escaped a LOT of flying glass when I practised the demonstration in the garage.

We did some ridiculous experiments when I was at school using some chemicals that aren't even allowed in any school today, let alone for the pupils to get near them.

Yes there were corners that were cut and it's not all bad, but "If you wrap them all in cotton wool, then somebody will end up choking to death on it". How else do you find out about the world?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I was thinking about this today actually, that I shouldn't still be alive.... lol.. my mother left food out all night and reheated it the next day. Potatoe and macaroni salad sat out in the sun for hours and we didn't get sick from eating it.... food would be in the fridge for longer that I care to admit and she made it for us for dinner - hey if it wasn't green who cares if it smelled a little? She cooked turkeys at 250 degrees for 24 hours after defrosting it on the counter for 2 days....

Ecch, you guys are lucky to have strong stomachs!

I've gotten quite sick from less-than-fresh food.

That said, I agree with Paul Ward. Only by testing out stuff can a person find out what really needs staying away from and what can actually be handled. Judging by Loxly's post the specifics vary by person!
    Loxly I wonder if your stomach is strong enough to handle some Leader Delicacies, like raw pie crust and raw homemade cookie dough? Or how about some raw biscuits?

Not eaten at the same time btw.
    Yes I like raw dough of pretty much all types. Except yeast dough! That stuff'll get its revenge...

Ironically my grandma made my mother and aunt scared to eat raw dough. She acted like it would all make a person deathly ill. I guess she must have been weird, judging by the other food-related posts in this thread. Funny, now they sell raw dough ice cream and charge extra for it LOL!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

hmmmmm. You seem to have a dough fixation
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly

I hear ya!

We have a disagreement every year here at Easter because my husband insists that the boiled and decorated eggs must go straight into the fridge for safety reasons, and I tell him when I was a kid, our eggs NEVER went into the fridge after being boiled and decorated and we at them for DAYS.

I still defrost my turkey's in a sink full of water all day the day before Thanksgiving too!
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoWires
    hmmmmm. You seem to have a dough fixation
    Yeah, dough is good, edible or spendable...
    I also like batter, though. Chocolate cake batter, and brownie batter...

It's pretty much all good, until somebody gets the bright idea of throwing it in the oven and dulling the flavor. The only drawback is how many calories are packed in the stuff, especially since the uncooked versions aren't at all filling. I can't indulge nearly as much as I'd like to.

I love raw chocolate chip cookie dough. Haven't had that in a million years.

Too funny.

Sheri

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Ecch, you guys are lucky to have strong stomachs!

I've gotten quite sick from less-than-fresh food.

That said, I agree with Paul Ward. Only by testing out stuff can a person find out what really needs staying away from and what can actually be handled. Judging by Loxly's post the specifics vary by person!
    Loxly I wonder if your stomach is strong enough to handle some Leader Delicacies, like raw pie crust and raw homemade cookie dough? Or how about some raw biscuits?

Not eaten at the same time btw.
    Yes I like raw dough of pretty much all types. Except yeast dough! That stuff'll get its revenge...

Ironically my grandma made my mother and aunt scared to eat raw dough. She acted like it would all make a person deathly ill. I guess she must have been weird, judging by the other food-related posts in this thread. Funny, now they sell raw dough ice cream and charge extra for it LOL!

Oh man, there is nothing better than raw cookie dough or better yet, raw cake batter!

I would rather eat it raw then cooked!!
    ~Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by ~Michelle
    Oh man, there is nothing better than raw cookie dough or better yet, raw cake batter!

I would rather eat it raw then cooked!!
    Reminds me of being a kid - my grandma always made cakes on a Sunday - I just loved wiping my finger around the inside of the mixing bowl and eating the raw mix. Used to wonder why so much was cooked and so little allowed to be eaten that way.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Yup... I have been known to make Bisquick shortcake and have it not make it to the oven Pie crust, I always make a double recipe so I can eat half raw... cookie dough is a no brainer....
    Deborah Carney

I always make extra pie crust too when I make apple pie. I like to take the dough and wipe down the bowl that the apple filling is mixed in and wrap a piece of apple in it and eat it raw.

My 7 yr old son is a dough freak too. Pie crust, pizza dough, cookie dough.. you name it, he has to have some.

One day I was having a heck of time when I made homemade bread. I couldn't figure out why it would start to rise, then go flat. Come to find out my little dough thief was stealing pinches of the dough when no one was looking!
    ~Michelle

http and a telephoto
    Dough-A-Holics Unite!!!!!!

We love all kinds of dough edible or not, and batter too
    Deborah Carney

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread