New York
    I've been recently hit with a few unsolicited domain purchase emails:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Good day,

We have an interest in purchasing your domain XXXXX.COM. We are always
    interested in acquiring new domain names to add to our significant portfolio. If you
    are interested in selling please visit our website below and enter your asking price.

Best Regards,

Steven R. Davies
    Domain Acquisitions Dept.
    Advanced Systems Limited

Anyone else been hit with these recently?Thoughts?

Rochester, NY
    I just got one of these emails myself for one of the domains I own. If I could get enough money for it, I just might consider it.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    A very quick check shows the domain name itself is for sale!

If they are related to fastdomainsales I would suspect that they intend to resell the domain names they buy...

The domain name they want to buy from me
    makes about $400 - 600 / month commission.
    Hmmm -- what should I sell it for?

$15,000 to $20,000?

I'm sure someone would jump at that
    price [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

How to value a domain is a tricky it on eBay to find the real value at any given point in time and space.

If you are buying a business - the 'fair price' usually is 2 times net profit all things being equal.

Normally, if you pay more than that, you overpaid. But there are exceptions.

If your domain name generates $500 per month,
    you need to subtract costs so people know what the net profit per month is...the real value based on $500/month in revenue would provbably be about $5,000 to $10,000 depending on the 'niche' you are in.

If you read the fine print on you shall see "Please note: When you submit your asking price we must inform you that we may not be able to meet your initital bid. We will however make efforts to keep you informed of any products, information and services that we feel may be of interest to you as a domain maintainer. "

My opinion (especially do to several abestweb members receiving similar emails) is it is a way to gather opt-in email addresses.

As far as eBay providing "real value" - "Absolutely Not" the case. The eBay domain auctions are generally visited by a tiny fraction of a fraction of domain buyers/sellers and not usually ever by businesses seeking domain names.

Example 1 - I had listed there a while back and the offers only got into the 3 figure range. However - I regularly get 5 figure offers via email.

Example 2 - sold on eBay for $5000. The people who bought it resold it for $500,000.

Ebay does not provide "real value" whatsoever but is a place to either dump names at low prices (maybe) or buy an occasional good name extra-cheap.

Larry Wentz

[ 07-01-2002: Message edited by: wentzco ]

[ 07-01-2002: Message edited by: wentzco ]

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread