GoDaddy/nameserver change/folder hierarchy issue
    I have a really frustrating problem. A few days ago I purchased a domain from GoDaddy and then pointed it to the nameservers of my host, 1and1. The domain is showing up as "ready" in my hosting control panel, but I can't seem to figure out how to upload my files for the new site to the right place.

All my files are showing up here:
    http://www.mysite.com/foldername/index.html (where "foldername" is the root folder that I set up in my hosting account for the new site)

Intead of here:
    http://www.mysite.com/index.html

When I try to access the domain directly (i.e. www.mysite.com/index.html), I get a "Forbidden" error message - even though according to my FTP client, I'm uploading the files to the root folder, not a subfolder!

I'm pretty sure I've just done something really dumb in configuring things. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

Normally you must upload your website files to the folder "public_html", not just your root folder. I don't have any experience with 1&1, but it should be the same in most hosting environments.

Hmm - maybe I should try creating a folder called public_html inside the folder that I created for the new site, and put my files there? I don't remember doing this when I set up my other sites on this same hosting account, but it's worth a try....

Internet Cowboy
    Your folder structure will be that way with 1and1. Your domain will still point to the right place. They handle the routing on their end.

The problem you will have at 1and1 is that your site will be down for hours on end and they will tell you the server is doing a file scan. The next day it can go down for 5 or 6 hours and all they will tell you is that it is another file scan. They have these mysterious file scans that bring your site down but apparently don't bother to tell the customer. My site at 1and1 was down for 12+ hours in two different instances in the first three days. That was enough for me.

Their FAQs are actually pretty good. They have a searchable support section where you can find out how the system is set up. Their phone support is horrible. You register one site, then your others are listed as subfolders of the original one. You can even manipulate .htaccess in each folder. Too bad they go down so often and don't own up to it.

Edited to say: Just adjust the settings on your ftp to default to the proper folder when transferring files for that domain.

Ahhhh, it worked! Thank you!!

Hmm - thanks for the heads-up, Uncle Scooter. I actually had a similar issue with them a while back. To be honest, I would love to switch hosts - I just need to get my act together.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread