As most of you probably know I have a travel site YouTrek.com and I have just been asked this question below by a young lady that is going to Namibia with her school and I cannot help her, could any of you possibly help me to help her please.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I am traveling to Namibia in Africa shortly with a school expedition & have been advised to take biodegradable soap. I have sensitive skin & whatever I buy has to be used for both washing my hair, body & clothes. Can you please help as I have drawn a blank so far and will be traveling in the next 2 weeks.

thank you

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would be very grateful for any help with this.

Gordon,
    My first helpful post [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Take a look at http://www.farmsoap.com/

To the best of my knowledge, biodegradable soap doesn't contain perfumes, phosphates, or other chemicals. Back in the day, when people made their own soap, kind of along those lines.

Well, shampoo is just detergent tested for eye safety. You could certainly wash your body and clothes in it.

I have no idea how it breaks down though.

I

I know that Green Marketplace, for one, has a number of biodegradable soaps (they have a code by their items that says if their products are biodegradable, cruelty-free, vegetarian, etc.).

I'm an affiliate of theirs, along with a number of other companies that specialize in natural products - I'd really appreciate it if you sent her to some of my pages! Here's the link to my Bath & Beauty page, and also my Kitchen pages - she can find links to Green Marketplace there, along with links to other companies that may carry the type of soaps she's looking for.

Well, anything suitable for use on skin should be fine for clothes and hair. The key thing is to check the biodegradability of the soap.

There's a whole swathe of these in the Google Directory.

Of course, soap bars are going to be the most compact thing to use. Something like shower gel is more bulky but I'd sooner wash my hair and clothes in that rather than with a soap bar! I don't quite understand why she couldn't take some properly biodegradable detergent. Ecover is a well-known brand in Europe, I don't know how available it is in North America.

Thanks you guys, I have forwarded the replies to her.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread