Of the big networks, who has the least adware?
    Hi,

Just wondering out of CJ, Linkshare, Performics, Share a Sale, who is least infested with parasites and where are my sales most likely to be tracked correctly? I read Share a Sale is parasite-free here, but don't all the networks say that in their terms of service? Or is it not just a marketing thing, Share a Sale is mostly parasite-free? Do these networks actually do anything about parasites, or it's just an example here and there to make it look like they're doing something?

I was reading through benedelman.org before...looks like no one really does anything about this heh?

thanks

http and a telephoto
    It comes down to merchants and their affiliate managers finding and booting parasites, but Shareasale is proactive in not letting them in and booting them when discovered.

It doesn't do any good for a parasite to be part of any network if the merchants keep them out of the moneymaking programs.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Hands down, ShareASale.com does far more to protect their merchants (and affiliates) from bad players.

All of the other networks have lists of rules and requirements for parasites to be "compliant". They legitimize the activity, as long as rules are followed (and in some cases, fees are paid). Only ShareASale.com totally prohibits it.

One will slip in once in a while, but they are incredibly proactive about identifying and removing them.

It's not just parasites, either. It's all the bad players. Talk to a merchant on any other network and ask them what happens if they're set up on "Auto-Approval" of affiliates. They get dozens (to hundreds) of applications per day, and most of them are fraudulent. ShareASale.com merchants don't have that problem, though.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    >>>They get dozens (to hundreds) of applications per day, and most of them are fraudulent.

It seems like a game to some of these BAD GUYS

What a waste of our time...

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    SAS but for other networks like CJ, LS there are merchants in there that plays a vital role. Some merchants will not work with upromise + iGive (ahhemm.. me) and there was a OPM who kicked eBates out from his program. Chuck something or Chris was his name.

well for cj/linkshare/performics.. how do you know who is safe to join and who isn't? no one is going to admit they accept adware traffic, and aren't the network terms against it anyway? is that not really enforced on the network level, it's just individual merchants and you have to join one and hope for the best?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    join Kellie's AFP is one way.

form circles of trusted affs who know and share is another.

check the obvious sites like ebates ad upromise to see if the merchant is lazy, ignorant (intenionally or not) or shows other signs indicating the merchant's decided that incremental sales are not more valuable than non-incremental sales.

know the AM's reputation by visiting ABW regularly or forming a relationship with them.

angel d, for instance, is at linkshare and doesn't let schmucks into his prog. not every prog at cj/ls/pf is crapped up. but you gotta know the am's intentions and track record - otherwise, i'd assume in those places it's highly likely the "selling" those networks regularly do to get the schmucks into every program is the status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    join Kellie's AFP is one way.

form circles of trusted affs who know and share is another.

check the obvious sites like ebates ad upromise to see if the merchant is lazy, ignorant (intenionally or not) or shows other signs indicating the merchant's decided that incremental sales are not more valuable than non-incremental sales.

know the AM's reputation by visiting ABW regularly or forming a relationship with them.

angel d, for instance, is at linkshare and doesn't let schmucks into his prog. not every prog at cj/ls/pf is crapped up. but you gotta know the am's intentions and track record - otherwise, i'd assume in those places it's highly likely the "selling" those networks regularly do to get the schmucks into every program is the status quo.
    If a merchant is listed in ebates and upromise, is that automatically a bad thing? Or can a merchant be there without knowing it....sounds kind of absurd actually heh.

Because there are a ton of companies listed there...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Easy way to checkout merchants and networks is to download some Adware programs like Zango and find out what pops as you browse shopping sites. Affiliates can join 2nd tier PPCSE programs or pay to ride on the theftware train with any merchant on the sly.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Sorry I killed the thread with the simple truth of the matter.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

hehe..

but does that mean the merchant and the network are ok with it, just because pops up happen when a parasite is installed?

as you said it can happen with any merchant...but how do you know what merchants allow it and don't? a popular merchant here is listed in both upromise and ebates. are upromise and ebates not widely considered to be parasites?

Quote Originally Posted by lulav
    hehe..

but does that mean the merchant and the network are ok with it, just because pops up happen when a parasite is installed?

as you said it can happen with any merchant...but how do you know what merchants allow it and don't? a popular merchant here is listed in both upromise and ebates. are upromise and ebates not widely considered to be parasites?
    The point I'm trying to make is actual merchants and actual responsible networks are not the actual BHO commission thieving perps. That honor belong exclusively to those in the affiliate community. The buttholes behind operating upromise Ebates Igive WhenU Zango etc etc are ALL just unethical money grubbing Super affiliates willing to bribe their way into influencing the network management.

Boot them out of the networks... and the sleazebag affiliates just follow them around with a strange form of idol worship. What are the chances of any ABWer paying to ride the 180Solutions/Zango/Searchscout theftware train getting caught red handed stealing from others here? If Ms.B or Ben Edelman catch them they can't post their findings.

Only outlet for merchants not hiring Ms. B to privately OUT the buggers is to install the BHO's and surf their site, and their competitors sites, and try and figure out which scumbag affiliate's of theirs is doing the dirty on them and the others.

The real question is.... what network(s) can't be bribed to allow BHO affiliates to operate with impunity within their organizations?

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    The point I'm trying to make is actual merchants and actual responsible networks are not the actual BHO commission thieving perps. That honor belong exclusively to those in the affiliate community. The buttholes behind operating upromise Ebates Igive WhenU Zango etc etc are ALL just unethical money grubbing Super affiliates willing to bribe their way into influencing the network management.
    The question I am trying to ask is, how do you know who is safe to join and who isn't? The "trusted merchant" thing here is kind of absurd, and there is a merchant with a forum here who is listed in upromise and ebates. So forgive me thinking no one actually cares about this, and no program is safe.

Maybe I should just stick to Adsense...

ABW Ambassador
    "The question I am trying to ask is, how do you know who is safe to join and who isn't?"

First, what is your definition of safe or parasite, people can have different views. So decide what is parasitic to you and then you can check if the merchant you want to partner with is also partnering with affiliates you think are parasites. Are you talking about Shoes.com partnering with Upromise? That was brought up before since some say Upromise is parasitic but Shoes.com works with them and they got the trusted merchant seal. You should decide for yourself.

Actually I meant bare neccessities, but I saw shoes.com as well. No offense to bare necessities if they are in fact strong against parasites.

To me a parasite is any software program that steals affiliate commissions...whether easy to install or not, whether hard to remove or not, whether driveby or not.

ABW Ambassador
    I actually do fine with them but I think they might have parasites, you would have to check.

I have an old laptop, I guess I could download zango, whenu, ebates, whatever on it and just reformat after I've done my homework.

Just seems kind of absurd really, that anyone should have to do all this.

ABW Ambassador
    Whenu has a coupon site:

http://www.pricebandit.com

See some merchants there that are here also, Shoes.com, Checks Unlimited, Overstock.

Looks like they also have a PriceBandit Coupon Toolbar

So probably any merchant there is with them in one way or another.

Ebates, you can just check the merchant list on the ebates site.

Check out AffiliateFairPlay at http://www.affiliatefairplay.com/

Also simply reading all the posts about parasites here on the abw forum may help guide you.

Cheers,
    Peter
    [URL=http://www.typoassassin.com/?utm_source=abestweb&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=p&utm_campaign=sig]Are these affiliates stealing from you?[/URL]

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Install McAfee SiteAdvisor as a first step. It is not foolproof but is a start. Back up a few forums from this one and you will see a list of the top culprits. As you educate yourself on those you will start to see trends. When in question about an affiliate who applies to your program reference that url against Symantec and Ben site http://www.benedelman.org/search/.

My personal favorite is to stripe the domain and throw it in Google search to see what comes up. Try it with ebates, shopathomeselect or 180solutions!

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread