Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Anybody Getting .MOBI Domains?
    Last edited by Trust; October 21st, 2006 at 06:09 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    is it possible for a cellphone or mobile device to replace the pc/laptop in the future?

unless probably it has a bigger screen, in which case it better be just a laptop.

so i think there are and will be insurmountable limitations. although i'm sure mobi will try to find a niche for itself.

but in general, dotcom will still be king.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by waytogo
    is it possible for a cellphone or mobile device to replace the pc/laptop in the future?
    I don't think so. I think when people are at home, they'll be on their laptop or desktop. Wasn't planning on getting one but was just typing in some domains and was very suprised the one I grabbed was available. Might just end up selling it in the future.

Internet Cowboy
    Not only is it possible, it's gonna happen and it will happen before you know it. Yes, the technology with the small screens needs to come around a bit but it's coming!!
    In less than 5 years you will see people on buses and trains across the USA shopping during their commute. It is already happening, but will get much MUCH more popular as the technology gets better and cheaper.

I paid $600 for my Treo. They are $299 now. I have had it less than a year. It is coming. I don't see it as a reason to jump on the .mobi wagon, but when formatting your sites you might want to consider the handheld user. I am working on a special section for a few of my sites for mobile users.

ABW Ambassador
    "Not only is it possible, it's gonna happen and it will happen before you know it."

Are you talking about replace or as an option? We can just pick one aspect, screen size. You can make small screens clearer but can't make small screens normal sized Keyboards, I need to type on a normal sized one, even my laptop keyword is a bit on the small side. If you're commuting and such, I can see people using the little things, but at home? or at work? I just don't see it happening. There's a thread somewhere about laptop vs. desktop and it was pretty even, have to check, split between them. Yep, pretty even:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=76857

I'm sure one day I'll have all 3 and the use will be based on situation. At home will always be the desktop, it's just comfortable.

Just curious, would anybody use something like a Treo over a laptop or desktop at home?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    You can make small screens clearer
    Even if it becomes clearer, it is still small. That by itself limits the amount you can put. And the smaller the content gets, the less readable or viewable it becomes.

ABW Ambassador
    take a look at this operating site

http://businessweek.mobi/

you think that can go toe to toe with a regular internet page?
    not a chance.
    although i think there will be some kind of use for that stuff later on.

ABW Ambassador
    http://demo.mtld.mobi/

Yeah, I checked a few of them out. I guess our sites won't resize? And if they did they would look all scrunched up, so you would have to make another version I guess. Not sure how all of this works.

http://kicker.mobi/ small size

Then http://msn.mobi/ looks normal sized, I guess it adjusts to mobile devices.

Maybe someone who has a Treo or the likes can try the sites out, see how look.

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    "Not only is it possible, it's gonna happen and it will happen before you know it."

Are you talking about replace or as an option? We can just pick one aspect, screen size. You can make small screens clearer but can't make small screens normal sized Keyboards, I need to type on a normal sized one, even my laptop keyword is a bit on the small side. If you're commuting and such, I can see people using the little things, but at home? or at work? I just don't see it happening. There's a thread somewhere about laptop vs. desktop and it was pretty even, have to check, split between them. Yep, pretty even:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=76857

I'm sure one day I'll have all 3 and the use will be based on situation. At home will always be the desktop, it's just comfortable.

Just curious, would anybody use something like a Treo over a laptop or desktop at home?
    No. I don't think people will give up their 21 inch monitors. But instead of a few people having a Treo or a Blackberry like now, in 5 years there will not be a cell phone without a full function web browser and people will be shopping on them.

Don't sh*tcan your regular sites just yet, but think about this. It is a source of immense growth in the near future.

ABW Ambassador
    "Don't sh*tcan your regular sites just yet, but think about this. It is a source of immense growth in the near future."

Yeah, why would you ever mess with your regular sites? Most people shop from work or at home. And even if in the future more people shop from mobile devices, I still think most will shop from work or home.

Internet Cowboy
    Designing for mobi is a snap. Left justify everything, easy on the images and don't let your font get too small.

It is not about going toe toe with a regular site. It is about designing something that allows a mobile user to see the pages easily and logically.

My Treo has an option to make all pages one column. It basically just strips out any other columns and shows them at the bottom. Some sites show up OK like this while others are terrible. Look for more and more large retail sites to start offering a section for mobile users or even having their server detect that you are on a mobile device and sending you to their mobi site. That is what Google and a few others are doing. You go to their site on the Treo and you see a completely different site. Same content, just laid out differently. Gmail is the same way. Gmail on the Treo rocks!!!

ABW Ambassador
    I need to get with the times, get me a Treo or something

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    Designing for mobi is a snap. Left justify everything, easy on the images and don't let your font get too small.

It is not about going toe toe with a regular site. It is about designing something that allows a mobile user to see the pages easily and logically.

My Treo has an option to make all pages one column. It basically just strips out any other columns and shows them at the bottom. Some sites show up OK like this while others are terrible. Look for more and more large retail sites to start offering a section for mobile users or even having their server detect that you are on a mobile device and sending you to their mobi site. That is what Google and a few others are doing. You go to their site on the Treo and you see a completely different site. Same content, just laid out differently. Gmail is the same way. Gmail on the Treo rocks!!!
    You missed the point. it's not about the design, or designing. It's whether the cellphone can be as equal as a full-sized computer or a monitor in terms of providing content.

even having their server detect that you are on a mobile device and sending you to their mobi site.
    This is what I would do. Serve up the mobile page depending on the refferer. I've had a few hits from mobile devices (that I've been aware of.)

Thought about this last year because my bro is a treo freak but haven't got around to implementing anything yet...working on getting traffic again .

Don't think I'd actually register a .mobi extension though...
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

If you are talking about consumer attention span and memory, I think you are making a mistake if you don't get on the mobile bandwagon.

I can't tell you how many times I walk by a store, or see an advertisement in a newspaper or something, and say to myself "I've got to remember to check that out in the future!" and then totally forget about it until the next time I'm out and see it again! If I had a mobile browser, I could go on and get my info and make a sale right there. You've got to cover all your bases.

Plus, when you can implant a computer screen on my cornea so it looks like I have a movie theater in my eyeball, mobile will replace my laptop that's for sure.

*edited for spelling*
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MINDsprinter
    If I had a mobile browser
    And there you answered this issue perfectly. It isn't the websites that need updating, but the tech. Until it is, optomizing or working on a mobile version of your site is a poor return on your time investment.

I totally agree chetf, the tech and the adoption rate really isn't there. But, for the affiliates out there, I'd say don't get behind the times. As UncleScooter says, it is going to happen and fast! Being the first out there really can't hurt and might even help if you've got a good idea going. It just might be worth your time...
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I think this has a helluva lot more long-term potential than the "web 2.0" stuff. People of all kinds like to get things IMMEDIATELY and this is a way to feed that.

That said, I am wondering if the tech is ready for shopping--for instance does SSL work on it? Does it even need to, or do mobile devices already have some other means of security? Because if it's not secure, it's not going to be suitable for commerce until that changes...

I also don't see a need to have a ".mobi" domain for mobile content, unless the general public actually starts to expect it. This just came out, so it's likely that right now only techies/webmasters (and a smattering of others) care about it, or even know about it.

ABW Ambassador

I doubt it will completely replace the computer in the short term (next 2 years) but I'm sure it will be as good for browsing the web & checking email for suitable things soon and later much more. Of course a pc/mac or laptop will always have the big screen factor but who knows what technology may bring and we may see no need for a screen as it could be projected?

I'm already using my mobile se K800i for many things I would use other devices for including watching Mobile TV ( i get BBC & another 10 channels plus more if needed), I have a 3.2 mega pixel camera which is more than good enough for general photos and it has a fm radio & mp3 player as well as other popular features. I also use it to browse the web when out and need to check a site or check email...Now models to be released that have recently been announced include features like a 5 mega pixel camera, (Nokia 95) GPS navigation etc..

So anything is possible!

oh yeah, a local telecommunications provider is running tv ads that intice people to use their mobiles for shopping online
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

I think this has a helluva lot more long-term potential than the "web 2.0" stuff. People of all kinds like to get things IMMEDIATELY and this is a way to feed that.
    Without getting into another web 2.0 discussion, I just have to say the the mobile web has the potential to really increase the popularity of web 2.0 sites. It's all about the participation!

That said:

I also don't see a need to have a ".mobi" domain for mobile content, unless the general public actually starts to expect it. This just came out, so it's likely that right now only techies/webmasters (and a smattering of others) care about it, or even know about it.
    I totally agree with this. dotcom will still rule the Internet and programmers will start auto-detecting users on cell phones and the like, sending them to special pages. I'm not too convinced of the value of .mobi, but the mobile web is here to stay.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MINDsprinter
    Without getting into another web 2.0 discussion, I just have to say the the mobile web has the potential to really increase the popularity of web 2.0 sites. It's all about the participation!
    Huh?

I am curious, for those saying you do browse the web etc now, are you in the USA? I would bet most not, this just doesn't seem to have caught on over here as it has in other places.

Chet

USA for me. I don't know about the popularity of web 2.0 stuff abroad.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

ABW Ambassador
    But web 2.0 has nothing to do with mobile phones, or at least nothing more than saying blue websites will be popular with mobile phones. That is why i hate the term web 2.0, it is beyond meaningless.

My question was about the adoption of web browsing and phones, i know in asia this is giant, a little moreso in europe but the last stats i found showed USA lagging behind. Are we catching up?

Chet

I'd say the states are totally lagging in this respect. I saw some crazy web technology when I visited Japan last year that is light years ahead of what we have here!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

I have a travel site for which I am currently developing a parallel .mobi. Just about everybody on the boardwalk in one beach town (with 300,000+ visitors on summer weekends) all have cellphones. These people also use their cell phones on the beach, but I have yet to see a laptop near the waves.

Now, just imagine a family walking along (or lying on the beach) and trying to decide on a place for dinner that evening. They can browse to a list of restaurants, see the type of fare offered, and its address. One click on the phone number link and the cell phone is ready to call the restaurant to make a reservation.

And, or course each page of the cell phone browser will have a link to the "Hotel Hot Line" phone number for room availability, pricing and reservations. Not bad--because nearly all of the visitors to that town drive more than two hours (many drive 5 hours or more) to get there, and many don't make reservations until they get to town. Now they can browse 30 popular hotels and be instantly connected to a reservations person; either when they get to town or on the road.

Of course, any phone reservations throught the "Hotel Hot Line" will be credited to my affiliate account.

This .mobi site works well on my small RAZR, so will do quite well on the larger phones out there. Just about every new phone being sold today has Internet capability. Bandwidth is improving and access fees are decreasing. So, what I am building may not do much for the 2007 season, but it is a start - and will only get better as time goes by. And along with hotel reservations there are other ways to monetize the rest of the site.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast