Question Help w/ infected PC :(
    I was not sure where to post, but I need help! My computer/ Outlook Express has all the signs of being a zombie PC. I have tried spyware and virus removal programs, but nothing is working I'm lucky when I catch a legit Merchant mail amongst all the junk!

Any programs or manual fixes you can suggest?

Thanks!
    Mel

I'm lucky when I catch a legit Merchant mail amongst all the junk!
    It sounds like you are describing an inbound problem but when you say Zombie I think of outbound. Can you describe the problem a little more?

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by meleemel
    I was not sure where to post, but I need help! My computer/ Outlook Express has all the signs of being a zombie PC. I have tried spyware and virus removal programs, but nothing is working I'm lucky when I catch a legit Merchant mail amongst all the junk!

Any programs or manual fixes you can suggest?

Thanks!
    Mel
    I have a problem and am guessing my problem is as described above.

I am receiving a lot of undeliverable spam mail that I did not send in the first place. It is concentrated on one of my domains. I am not sure if the outgoing mail was sent from my computer in someway or if some how the returns are directed in my direction. These returns are comming from all corners of the world.

As above, I have firewall, have done scans of all sorts without any results. Scans by Symantec, Windows defender, Ad-Aware, AVG. All say that my computer is clean.
    Last edited by Witzer; October 22nd, 2006 at 07:02 PM.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

ABW Ambassador
    You mean it's like your computer has been taken over and is being controlled remotely?

There is malware that does that, I've picked some up just by clicking on a link to a page but my sofware found and removed it. Not all are that easy.

It is concentrated on one of my domains. I am not sure if the outgoing mail was sent from my computer in someway
    Could you possibly have a script that uses sendmail with a form that may have been hacked. Your hosting tech could help you check that out.

I have seen an increase in SPAM crap 300% the last 8 weeks. Dang how I would luv to have them stand before me
    It has kind of died as for bounced emails but ... it was sad for a month or so. Seems these guys now send emails to say fred[at]aol.com "from" fred[at]yourdomain.com ... so they bounce back to you when undeliverable
    Not much that you can do against a script you can't control ... one of these days .....

And now it seems that you need to run scans on the server .... I've noticed a few random times logging in via a ftp program that the server itself is trying to attack me ... SOBs.

Tax Paying Member
    Cozy................

Your description is perfect.

I do not have a mailer on any of my sites.

I have several domains on the same host. The one is all that has the mail/spam situation.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    spammers are faking your domain in their spam, the ones that aren't deliverable are coming back to you. there's very little you can do about this situation.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Wow Mel, I hope someone here has a solution. Sounds like a difficult thing to correct. Please update here so I can see how you make out and what solution you find - if any. Fingers crossed.

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

What is worse is that you give yourself away by .... checking email.
    These MFs embed images, even 1x1s ... the same used for affiliate tracking, into the emails to see if it is a valid email.
    You check email, it isn't caught by your filters ... and you have just verified your email addy/domain to a "list".

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Best you eliminate and "Catchall" settings on that domain and send anything not to or from a specific address to the trash bin. Then run all your Anti-??? programs in the safe mode with network connection. That way if they bomb you can do some online scans for viruses and Adware/Spyware. Links on www.ecomcity.com/news.htm
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by cozy
    What is worse is that you give yourself away by .... checking email.
    These MFs embed images, even 1x1s ... the same used for affiliate tracking, into the emails to see if it is a valid email.
    You check email, it isn't caught by your filters ... and you have just verified your email addy/domain to a "list".
    That is one of the reasons of why I only check my emails after I go off line.

I hate those MFs spammers embed images too!

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    spammers are faking your domain in their spam, the ones that aren't deliverable are coming back to you. there's very little you can do about this situation.
    And when they do that, it's too bad that we can't just become one of those fanatic religious people, and put those MFs spammers on their deserved place.

Even tho I have the technology to at least get back at some of those MFs bad people and I don't do it.

Some times I wonder if at the end of this life time cycle, it would have been worth it to just let them be the way they are, or just get even now.

The problem is that while I am no longer a religious guy, I still go by the "You shall not steal" and "An eye for an eye" thing.

But since I can't agree on the "You shall not covet your neighbor's wife" Commandment, I guess those MFs spammers got a loophole on my mind, because no one can't tell me what I can, or can't wish for.

It's too bad that even now that we have the USA Patriot Act (H.R. 3162), that they don't deal with the internet crooks too, because I don't see a different between a terrorist and a internet guy that uses your domain name for their own games.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    If you look at the complete header for the emails you are getting back and then look back to where the original email came from you will probably see that the IP addresses are not your machines IP address. Yours is proabably DSL Static IP so easy to recognize not yours.

The only thing that is happening is that they are spoofing your email address as the "from" and the recipients ISP is returning it to you as undeliverable.

Your email is then probably being harvested by one of the thousands of people that are being sent the messages. So your spam goes up that you receive of normal spam not just undeliverable mail.

Happened to me recently too. I thought it was some of the more creative people in my industry bombing me. Maybe its a widespread thing right now. Seems like they have stopped in the last few days. Maybe the ISPs involved eventually broke the chain....

Thank you all!

Arghh..it is very frustrating, but I have not given up yet!

andbeyond- That sounds like a good explanation. When I was searching for answers, I came across many articles on "Zombie" Pc's that have your description listed as one of the symptons. It also included sluggish connection amongst others.

............I'm going to try some more things!

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread