True or False: Newsletter Cookie Overwrite?
    True or False: when merchants send newsletters with suggested links, are cookie overwrites being set in place?

I thought someone mentioned this before?
    Frankly, I hope the supposed situation is false as I often get swamped by merchant newsletters and I usually read them.

Is it safe to use the e-mailed links or is it better for the webmaster to log into the network and get the links/banners/whatever there?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I generally use the emailed links - but be careful I have on multiple occassions had links sent to me that were not my ID's from emails from linkshare and cj merchants.

No idea about the cookie overwrite issue
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Is it safe to use the e-mailed links or is it better for the webmaster to log into the network and get the links/banners/whatever there?
    Sometimes it's safe, but I really don't trust the emailed-link tech to be accurate. On occasion I've gotten newsletters that have no PIDs/wrong PIDs in those links. So mainly to avoid (what appears to be) genuine screwups, I log into the network or use the feed to get my links, and avoid using the emailed ones.

I don't think those newsletters would overwrite cookies, though. There's not much point in messing with the cookies that are on an affiliate's computer.

Of course, there may be some fool or another out there that does it...the possibilities for stupidity are bottomless, and crooks manage to find all kinds of ways to be dumbnuts!

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi
    I generally use the emailed links - but be careful I have on multiple occassions had links sent to me that were not my ID's from emails from linkshare and cj merchants.

No idea about the cookie overwrite issue
    Good to keep in mind -- thanks.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think merchants would be encouraged to do some diverting when it comes to their newsletters to affiliates.

A greater concern would be their newsletter to your visitors. especially when their pages are plastered with "enter email to get savings"

Isn't a fairly well-known, umm, "wildcat" computers and electronics dealer fairly notorious for overwriting or otherwise nullifying existing affiliate cookies at every opportuniy?

Quote Originally Posted by waytogo
    I don't think merchants would be encouraged to do some diverting when it comes to their newsletters to affiliates.

A greater concern would be their newsletter to your visitors. especially when their pages are plastered with "enter email to get savings"
    Maybe that's what I was thinking of ...
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Internet Cowboy
    Many merchants operate on the "last cookie in" principle. This means, the last channel (not just affiliate, but channel) that gets the click gets credited with making the sale.

If this merchant has their newsletter set to pop a cookie as a channel on their own server, this can override the CJ cookie and whack the affiliate commission.

Is it wrong or right? That depends on who you are. If a merchant can send a newsletter and close a sale that started two days ago, why should an affiliate get paid? That is not my sentiment, but a possible merchant rationale.

I made this post becuase I had a merchant once who did this to me. I caught them and called them on it in person and got compensation as a result of my efforts.

Many merchants blatantly use network links in their PPC and/or newsletters and there are no rules against this. Affiliates refer to this as Cookie Washing. Merchants refer to it as saving money. I don't think it is right, but it is reality. It is yet another item on the checklist of vetting a potential new merchant for a real value-add relationship.

ABW Ambassador
    From Andy Rodriguez:

The Truth about Affiliate Cookies

ABW Ambassador
    actually this has been my concern ever since i entered affiliate marketing several years ago. and i think i may have posted a few about this at ABW. i saw the potential for abuse and i'm sure some merchants are doing it.

this is also why i was vocal before about merchants being affiliates at the same time, or network employees being affiliates. so my hats off to cj when they stopped that practice. they can of course still divert to their friends and families, but it puts a little hassle in the practice.

if the merchant sends an email periodically, that's even a worse situation. it would clearly deserve the term "washing".

You're confusing two different things.

1) Newsletters from affiliate managers to affiliates often contain links. Usually, those are fine, but once in a while the affiliate manager goofs up and the links in the newsletter aren't right. Always look for your affiliate code in the link and test the link to make sure it goes to the page you expect, and you should be fine.

2) Newsletters from merchants to their customers (or merchant PPC links or links from other traffic sources) sometimes will overwrite affiliate cookies. This varies from merchant to merchant, but I would say that the majority don't overwrite.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Rhia7
    What's the word?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waytogo

Maybe that's what I was thinking of ...

Man, any merchant who needs to save a buck or two by overwriting an affiliate's cookie with their customer newsletter shouldn't have an affiliate program in the first place. As I see it, if you are not willing to pay out that commission on EVERY sale you make, then you shouldn't have a program in the first place.

Odd business tactics indeeed!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Affiliate Manager
    I fail to understand, why would a merchant send out affiliate links in newsletters to customers and pay additional network fees? and if a merchant does send non-affiliate plain vanilla direct links, there is no question of overwriting, as long as the last-clicked affiliate's cookie is sitting on the computer
    Join The [B][URL=http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=10705]Giftshoppingzone.com[/URL] [/B] Affiliate Program on SAS - [B]10% on sales , Unlimited cookie, over 15,000 products in datafeed![/B]
    [URL=http://gift-ideas.giftshoppingzone.com/]Gift Ideas[/URL]

I totally agree Ashok. Why why why??
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashok
    I fail to understand, why would a merchant send out affiliate links in newsletters to customers and pay additional network fees?
    they are not paying additional fees. they are diverting the fees that should go to the rightful affiliate back to their own pockets.

this is the same principle as the livechat diversion.

i have even seen a merchant who made pages for affiliate links only. guess what's on those pages? when you go to their site directly, you get a different page without the diversions. and if you want to link directly to their site, bypassing the for-affiliate-links pages, you can't.

they are not paying additional fees. they are diverting the fees that should go to the rightful affiliate back to their own pockets.
    Either way, it seems like nickel and diming to me. If they need to scrounge for that extra cash they shouldn't be in the game as it is.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread