Yes, I do get spam, but not as ridiculous as this time. It happened a couple of days ago, and I just didn't have time to deal with it till now...

This person by the name S. Keith Jone used his coralwave.com account to send me 34 emails in two hours, one email every 4 minutes!!!

I suppose I could send a message back and have him to remove me from the mailing list, but I couldn't. Ever since I got those spam mails, my email stopped - completely stopped. I couldn't get to it using Outlook Express anymore. The web based mail seems to be ok when sending email out, but when I tried to send myself a message using Hotmail, the message was "the server is too busy", in other words, I cannot at all get any incoming mail.

I'm not sure if these two things are related, but I sure have sent a message to my web hosting service about these, and hopefully they will have the problem resolved.

Before I know any further, can anybody suggest a place to report spam? I also appreciate any thoughts as to whether or not the spam mails might have caused the mail server busy all the times.

Thanks!

ABW Ambassador
    Report the spam to his provider, not yours. There is nothing past blocking the sender your isp can do.

Make sure to look at the full headers to see where he is really sending it from.

Chet

Before you report it, run a copy (with full headers) through http://spamcop.net (no www) to make sure ou;re reporting to the right person. And if it comes back saying something like report it to abuse@SKeithJone.com, forget it - won't do any good. In that case, you're better off complaining to the host of whatever scam operation website he's pushing (ain't no such thing as an honest company that spams, hires spammers, or allows their affiliates to spam).

Are you sure you're not mixing cause and effect tho? You get 34 copies of one spam, then your email is broken - report the spammer but the first place for you to go is your isp - call them and ask why your email is broken.

ABW Ambassador
    spamcop does not follow RFC compliant headers. They are screwy, we have had more problems with spamcop because they don't parse headers correctly or they ignore valid and accepted methods for doing things. They also love to email everyone but abuse@yourdomain.com

They have this idea that there is spamcop's way - and everything else is spam. Ignorning rules and standards used for email for years. They also penalize smaller mail servers and reward larger services, regardless of the spam coming through either.

No offense to anyone using the service here - but their users are complete morons. I wasted some time by going into their newsgroups to discuss our listing and why spamcop was broken - since I knew so much how mail servers work and how dns works (having run both for over 5 years) I must be a spammer. Nice logic.

To find the isp just take the top ip address in the email, and go to http://www.dnsstuff.com/ and enter it in the tracert - this will show you the provider and the network - if you think the provider seems fishy.

You can also enter the ipaddress in the ip whois on that site.

Chet

Is that tracert any different from what's gotten in a DOS box?

ABW Ambassador
    Correct. Some people are confused on how to use that one, so I listed the website, it is much simpler.

It is also a great tool to see if you are a slow to your site, or if everyone is (or at least someone else).

Chet

Thank you guys! I'm trying to follow step by step and look closer at the urls that were provided. My initial concern was that my email is completely stopped - I cannot receive incoming mail at all. That's the reason why I had to be in touch of my web hosting to sort out the incoming mail problem. I thought this could be my web hosting mail server, or it could have been caused by the spam -- I'm clueless.

Of course, the spam mails got me real bad this time, otherwise I would just hit the "delete" button and forget about it.

Also, I found this site: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcams/spam/, don't know if it does any good, but I may give it a shot as well.

AT,
    If you'd like, you can forward the e-mail to abuse@thmedia.net Our customers frequently contact us about spam, and it is something we may be able to assist with.

Michele,

Thanks for the offer. Those mails are all in my local computer, and I can't connect to the mail server at all, in other words, I can't send or forward any mails using Outlook, and the web base mail box is all empty. I'm pretty screwed right now.

I hope I can at least get hold of a human at the web hosting tomorrow, and find out what in the name of God is exactly happening.

Did you notice any attachments with his e-mail. I don't want to give up any secrets, but if this guy has an issue of some sort with you, it could be his way of taking out anger. Send several e-mails that have very large files attached to them. It will lock up the e-mail. Actually, it doesn't lock it up, but will time out while trying to retrieve 100 e-mails each with a video attached to them. Is there a way that you can log in and clear them out manually from your mailserver?

Hi Michele,

The only possibility that someone might have an issue with me could be those who wanted to linked to my site, and I did not reply. Other than that, I really can't think of any.

Yes, each spam came with an attachment, they're not large, it's 41K each, but if they keep coming non-stop, that certainly will add up. I didn't open any attachments, 'cause my PC detected virus from those attachments.

I logged on to the web base mail, the mailbox is empty -- nothing at all. But again, I could not even send myself a mail.

I'm trying to log on thru Outlook. Same error message:

"There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'MySite', Server: 'mail.MyDomain.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [SYS/PERM] Unable to process From lines (envelopes), change recognition modes or check for corrupted mail drop.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92".

Any idea what this may mean?

Michele, thank you so much for your time. I really appreciate it!

The smaller files wouldn't matter (as far as size goes and stopping e-mail). Seems like the problem is in the header of the e-mail, and 'possibly' causing a problem with your mail server, and/or Outlook Express. Does your webhost offer any type of web-based Control Panel or a file manager. If so, look for a mail folder in there. See if any those e-mails are appearing there. Also, try setting up a new e-mail account with your host. Then attempt to send and receive off of that. I'm trying to determine if it is account specific.

I use only one folder, and it's empty, in fact it has been empty for a few days.

I can set up a new POP user account, which I did, but couldn't send and receive mail, I couldn't connect to the server. I went further to have deleted the alias which got spammed, but it didn't seem to help. Also tried to send myself another test email from Hotmail, this time I didn't get the "server busy" error, but the mail got nowhere.

It took me quite a while to finish this post 'cause I found something too interesting (actually it is not all interesting). I truly believe that this is the cause...

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avc enter/venc/data/w32.yaha.f@mm.html

I first must be sure none of these have been sent out from my PC - I doubt it since I could not even connect to the server, next I need to make sure my PC is clean. Does it make sense if I say I'm going to restore the PC when it's the worst case? Then I will deal with my mail server stuff.

Don't know how I can keep this calm, but I guess I don't have a better choice!

I don't think that is the problem. In a moment, I will PM you with some information. Give me a minute to get it together.

[ 06-30-2002: Message edited by: Michele Barnett ]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michele Barnett:
    AT,
    If you'd like, you can forward the e-mail to abuse@thmedia.net Our customers frequently contact us about spam, and it is something we may be able to assist with.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice of you to offer that, but I don't think that's somewhere you want to go - there's millions of spams every day - I'd suggest you just stick with your own spammers (?) and spam victims.

Jaybat,
    Thank you for your concern. Its a matter of assisting an ABW member who needed assistance. We don't offer things like that for everybody all the time. With AT's situation, it isn't just spam, but an entire e-mail issue. Besides, I'm not on the clock right now. It's on my own time [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I hadn't meant it negatively, if that's how you took it (maybe that "stick to" choice of words was a bad one).
    Personally I don't think it was the spam, I think his ISP has a problem.

This is my conclusion:

It isn't spam, it's somebody who has the worm on his PC while my email address is in his address book, and the worm just did its little tricks. Fortunately, I just did a virus scan, and my PC is not infected. At least I know I would not have spread that problem to anybody.

I suspect that my web hosting service detected the problem somehow and shut off my email completely, yet this needs to be confirmed. I also suspect that my web hosting should be able to delete all related emails that might be on the mail server, and be able to block that specific email address. I hope I'm right this time.

It so happened that I reported this problem to my web hosting service on a weekend, and by no means I will get an answer before tomorrow the earliest.

What I'll do is to open another ticket with more details, perhaps it will help solve the problem quicker.

To all who answered to this post, thanks for your support, I really appreciate it! And special thanks to Michele!!

Haiko, thanks for forwarding the mail to me.

Michele, it's really kind of you to set that up for me. I sent myself a test message at THMedia, it worked just fine for receiving mail thru Outlook. As for sending mail, the connection to the server has failed. Somehow I think I may need to change the port# to make it work. However, I'm not too concerned about this.

At least I figured that the Outlook part is ok. Before you spend more time on this, let me get to my web hosting and see what they have to say. I really don't want to ruin your weekend, or is it too late already?

Jaybat, I didn't take your message offensively so don't sweat it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] When I said, I understand your concern. We do get requests from non customers for things like setting up outlook express or using Front Page. Little different with AT, and we are more than happy to assist.

AT, no problem on this end, and you didn't ruin my weekend. I set things up over here just to help figure out if it was a problem on the mailserver end or the local end. Now that you figured it was on the mailserver end, the battle is half over.

Please inform me of the response you get from your host. I'm curious as to what caused the problem on the webhosts end. It usually happens 1 of 2 ways. It is either filtered when a virus comes through the mailserver (that's what we do), or it goes through and your virus software will pick it up. Usually, it doesn't cause problems like you described. I'm secondly surprised that you had an issue setting up a second e-mail account on your domain with the same problem.

If you need further assistance, please feel free to let me (or Tom) know.

[ 07-01-2002: Message edited by: Michele Barnett ]

Michele,

Again, thanks so very much. I didn't get a reply from my web hosting yet, and today was a hectic day at work, so hectic that I didn't have a chance to call them. As much as I would like to have my email back, I'll wait till tomorrow. I'll post their response as to the cause of the problem once known.

Thanks again!

No problem AT, anytime [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread