Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thumbs up Affiliate Marketing Organization Initiative
    Hello Everybody,

I hope you had a good weekend. Here is a long and serious post at ReveNews.com which I would like you to read and think about.

Here is the Link to the Post.
    http://www.revenews.com/carstencumbr...rganizati.html

The Post is about the need for an Affiliate Marketing Organization, something that does not exist today. There used to be one, called iAfma but that one is long but dead. Something like SEMPO for Search Engine Marketing and Organization comes to mind as comparison.
    Carsten Cumbrowski
    Marketer & Entrepreneur @ Cumbrowski.com
    Free & no BS Internet Marketing Resources

ABW Ambassador
    Carsten, I'll play devil's advocate and rock the boat right off.

Something like SEMPO for Search Engine Marketing and Organization comes to mind as comparison.
    I do wish SEMPO hadn't even been mentioned. Don't get me started on SEMPO, the mere mention makes my blood boil.

Sure there's an organized front needed, but to meet the needs of affiliates, who for the most part work independently, the ethics, purposes and philosophy of the Graphic Artists Guild are a good start.

SEMPO was the closest thing to come to mind because it is for Search Engine Marketers which most Affiliates are to some degree and because it targets not just the SEM/SEO businesses, but also the In-House SEO or SEM.

Since the Search Engine Marketing Industry is different than the Affiliate Marketing Industry must an Organization or Association for Affiliate Marketing be different as well.

Otherwise would there not a need for one, if our needs fit to 100% into existing Marketing Organizations, wouldn't there?
    Carsten Cumbrowski

ABW Ambassador
    Yawning is a powerful non-verbal message with several possible meanings, depending on the circumstances.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Merchant Consultant Team
    Yawning is a powerful non-verbal message with several possible meanings, depending on the circumstances.
    ROFLPIMPLMAO...

Exclamation
    a new organization will be walking a tightrope. too much chance, also, for some of the more questionable industry members to try to take over.

http and a telephoto
    Carsten did you see the discussion in the Inner Circle on this very idea?
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    That sounds like a good idea - wish "I" would have thought of it

lol: you're funny

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    That sounds like a good idea - wish "I" would have thought of it
    Need I even ask if you actually did have this idea Billy? (sarcasm, as I get the feeling you did) Where is the link to the appropriate forum on ABW?

I love the idea. I personally would love more opportunities to get out of the office and meet and discuss...and travel and count it as "work."
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar

http and a telephoto
    Some of you can't get to that link Billy posted, it is in a less public section of the forum.

And to those that say that since others have failed, I think we need to go with the idea that because it was done incorrectly the first time doesn't mean it can't be done right by the right group of people.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Who is putting up the money and who will be in charge?

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    From the article:
    The preliminary Judges
    I will ask Beth Kirsch, Shawn Collins, Wayne Porter, Brook Schaaf, Chris Sanderson, Linda Buquet, James Nardell, Jim Kukral, Lee Gientke, Scott Jangro, David M. Lewis, Nele Sharp, Karen White, Susan Arts, Christopher Blair, Jonathan Trust, Jeff Molander, Brian Littleton and Connie Berg for their votes.
    Aren't some of these names among the major ones that have been complained about on ABW in the past?
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

I don't think it would work because it would most likely become bureaucratic too soon and it would be likely to charge membership fees at some point -- no thanks Plus it would attract busy-body personalities who would push their way to the top too fast -- gasp
    Last edited by Rhia7; October 23rd, 2006 at 07:05 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Cagles Mill
    Aren't some of these names among the major ones that have been complained about on ABW in the past?
    Yes

the article:

I selected people I know and trust personally or by reputation.

The preliminary Judges
    I will ask Beth Kirsch, Shawn Collins, Wayne Porter, Brook Schaaf, Chris Sanderson, Linda Buquet, James Nardell, Jim Kukral, Lee Gientke, Scott Jangro, David M. Lewis, Nele Sharp, Karen White, Susan Arts, Christopher Blair, Jonathan Trust, Jeff Molander, Brian Littleton and Connie Berg for their votes.
    ROFL.... personally trust by reputation? lol, please. I see only 4 names that I would trust.

Because of SOME of the rest of the names listed, I would not touch this with a 10 foot pole.
    Ebudae

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    What Ebudae said.

If you hope to ever get something like this off the ground you will need to eliminate those individuals whose participation will be deal killers for many of us. I betcha you even know who those folks are. And truthfully, if you can list some of those people as among those who you trust and respect then frankly, I'm not sure I can trust or respect you.

Wasn't Molander talking up something like this earlier in the year? I do believe he was. So Carsten, are you the front man in this enterprise?

ABW Ambassador
    Just to be clear since I see my nickname up there. I don't think any of the names mentioned were notified of anything before he posted that. So I'm not a preliminary judge or anything like that, not even sure what's supposed to be judged. I've never been a fan of affiliate unions or organizations so this has nothing to do with me. I'll just copy and paste something I posted in another thread:

"I think ultimately why these things end up failing is what I touched upon before. Strong willed, independent people who are used to running things, don't want other people representing them, talking for them. Too much of an independent type business."

Among many other reasons.

SEMPO was mentioned and this is what happens:

http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/...ighlight=SEMPO

http://www.threadwatch.org/node/1029
    Last edited by Trust; October 23rd, 2006 at 09:06 PM.

Good grief! Here is the yearly, "Let's get organized" clarion call.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    Good grief! Here is the yearly, "Let's get organized" clarion call.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I don't see it ever happening in a big way. Our opinions, goals, and beliefs are just too diverse. Sure, we may rally behind (or against) something big like parasites or LMI, but I don't ever see a widespread organization.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Hi Post one my comments from the blog here, because I think some stuff needs clarification:

I already got some good email responses and questions. I want to make sure that one thing absolutely is clear.

The people I mentioned in the post are just for the vote for the name (if suggestions are made) to determine who wins the price and what the name will be.

I made the list as diverse as I could, but only included people that I know and that know me at least from emails, Blogs or personal meetings.

I call this list also preliminary. Everybody is welcome to send me an email at: NewAMOrgInitiative@gmail.com to join the voters list. I mentioned in the post that I would decline such requests only for a single reason. That I or any of the people I mentioned does not know you well enough to make sure that the candidates leak out at the domains are being taken for ransom.

I really want to do it public, if there is a way to legally prevent somebody from taking domains for ransom when the candidates are made public.

That is the only reason why I want to do it via a broad list of judges. I heard somewhere that you can somehow get a domain and then cancel the registration for a full refund within a certain time frame, but I am not sure.

If anybody knows something about that or could get a domain registrar into the boat to block the domains that will be candidates for a vote, please speak up.

I would under such circumstances suggest to have a public vote at a public forum instead. I would vote for ABestWeb as the best and appropriate place for such a public vote. Haiko?

Did I mentioned the price you can win? All you have to do is suggest names for such an Organization.

The person who suggests the name for the organization that is choosen from all submitted suggestions will win a free eComXpo University pass for the upcoming winter semester (October 24th, 2006 to February, 24th 2007), which is a $99.95 value.
    It also comes with an optional and free one year subscription to Revenue Magazine (digital format), a $25 value and Search Marketing Standard Magazine (print magazine), a $10 value.

If that offer is not good anymore at the time you register for any reason, let me know and I pay for the subscription.

Deadline for Submissions
    Deadline for Suggested Names and Abbreviations is next Friday, October 27th 2006, 12:00 pm PST (Pacific Time).

Please send suggestions to NewAMOrgInitiative@gmail.com and don't post them as comments at this blog. Every other comments are of course welcome and encouraged.

Conditions
    Important condition. The Domain Name of the Name or Abbreviation of the Suggested Title for the Organization must be available at least as .org and .com, but it would be the best, if it is available for all domain types (.net, .info, .mobi, .ws etc.).
    Last edited by cumbrowski; October 24th, 2006 at 03:41 PM.
    Carsten Cumbrowski

Past experiences influence our present behavior and opinions.

Wayne posted about one of his past experiences with an Affiliate Marketing "Union" that was created and fell apart before it was even achieving anything.

Those past experiences make the veterans skeptic. They better be. I am not considering myself a newbie in the industry. I saw a lot of the stuff myself. For that reason did I suggest to start something that has realistic goals before we attempt building a palace out of thin air. To the question if I have more of a community in mind is my answer. How can you have an useful organization without a community.

Affiliate Marketing has a lot of communities, yes, but that is one of the problems. We have communities and not A community. It is too often coming to an us vs. them or them vs. them with hardened fronts, unwilling to give in and find a solution that is beneficial for all involved parties.

That's why do I believe that we need to build a community first before the community will be able to form a body that is in the position to provide guidelines, define standards and issues codes everybody is supposed to obey. Without a community would one community try to push something on to another community which is just because of the fact that they were not part of the decision making opposed to it without even considering it.

Sounds familiar? Lets create a community, but with the goal in the mind to create an authoritarian yet representative body that is able to establish rules that will be obeyed and followed by this community.

I hope this answer some questions any of you might had. I got the question from several people what I have in mind when I suggested the creation of an organization and are demonstrate by actually making the first step, that others can make the step as well. It will be fun and does not even cost much, if anything. At least is it an small investment that potentially yields high returns.

Also see Chris Sanderson post. I hope he approves my comment soon.
    http://www.amwso.com/affiliate_blog/...e-for-amab.php
    Carsten Cumbrowski

ABW Ambassador
    "Lets create a community, but with the goal in the mind to create an authoritarian yet representative body that is able to establish rules that will be obeyed and followed by this community."

This isn't a community type business tho. Let's say you establish an organization and you establish "rules" Rules for who? Merchants? Networks? Affiliates? And if they don't follow your "rules" the organization will do what? Be mad?

If the networks don't follow the "rules" you'll do what? They don't even enforce their own rules.

If merchants don't follow the "rules" you'll do what? They can run their program any way they see fit.

If affiliates don't follow the "rules" you'll do what? What authority would an organization have over anyone's business? They don't.

It's just not the type of business where any union or organization is going to have any kind of pull whatsoever. And let's say you get something going. Do you really think anybody not in this organization will even care about the "rules" you set? No. They'll do business like they've always done business and most successful affiliates (businesses) have no problem speaking up for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    "Lets create a community, but with the goal in the mind to create an authoritarian yet representative body that is able to establish rules that will be obeyed and followed by this community."

This isn't a community type business tho. Let's say you establish an organization and you establish "rules" Rules for who? Merchants? Networks? Affiliates? And if they don't follow your "rules" the organization will do what? Be mad?

If the networks don't follow the "rules" you'll do what? They don't even enforce their own rules.

If merchants don't follow the "rules" you'll do what? They can run their program any way they see fit.

If affiliates don't follow the "rules" you'll do what? What authority would an organization have over anyone's business? They don't.

It's just not the type of business where any union or organization is going to have any kind of pull whatsoever.
    Every group of people that share the same space and same interest is a community in a sense. In case of Affiliate Marketing is it a scattered one. Like Gipsies.

There will always the one that prefer the life as a Gipsy, but I think the majority is on the read looking for a place they can call "home".

Maybe I got it all wrong. Well its my time and money wasted, isn't it?
    Carsten Cumbrowski

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast