Online Marketing Consultant
    Question What do you think of weekly e-mails?
    I noticed a different mindset with people who are strictly with one network or another, so I was wondering how CJ affiliates feel about weekly e-mails.

Do you all prefer text or HTML?

E-mails written like I am your friend or more business structured?

Do you like weekly hints, ideas and strategies in them?

What causes you to open an affiliate e-mail?

Thanks,

Adam
    Liquidation.com

My personal opinion is unless you have pertinent information regarding links that need to be changed, a new offer, or something that I need to immediately address, I don't need to hear from you every week.

Things I want to know:

* A new offer that is pertinent to me or my sites
    * Any changes in links or deactivation of links that will affect my sites and the ability to convert
    * Changes in commission structure
    * Pertinent, important information regarding your company that may affect my ability to do business with you.

It just gets difficult to sort through everyone's "newsletters" to find the stuff that might be important to me. If you only sent out letters when it is pertinant stuff, then I would know that e-mail is very important.

Just my 2 cents.

Sheri

ABW Ambassador
    What Sheri said. I like seeing at least a monthly newsletter from merchants. As far as weekly, those are good for merchant who got stuff going on. New deals, new promotions, new coupons, something that needs our attention etc.

That is what I thought, I run 5 new promotions each week and change the landing pages of the 5 links so I am guessing the weekly is fine then. Thank you for your input.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I think weekly emails may start to be ignored, especially by those who, as a rule, don't show short-term sales/discounts. You'll at least want to use a title that seperates those update emails from the less-common (but still important) stuff.

I'm too lazy to use the quote function on all these different questions, so in this post, your questions are in italics and my answers are in regular type.

Do you all prefer text or HTML?

I like HTML. Most newsletters are boring enough as it is without getting them in dull, email default font.

E-mails written like I am your friend or more business structured?
    I'd call my preferred style "casual business." Don't pretend to be my old friend, but you don't have to bore my socks off, either.

Do you like weekly hints, ideas and strategies in them?
    No, that's too many and you would soon be ignored, unless I put you on my discounts site.

The only weekly email I open has a datafeed in it and I have to open it! But I usually ignore the commentary since he writes about the latest promo, but I don't manually add promos (it's way too easy for a manually added promo to get forgotten and end up stale).

As for "hints, ideas, and strategies" they would have to be really revolutionary, or else I've probably read them somewhere else already. Plus, for a weekly newsletter that's 52 ideas a year...harder to come up with than it may seem, so there's a danger of reruns and a corresponding loss of reader interest (although who knows, maybe you DO have 52 different revolutionary ideas, or 104 for 2 years' worth)...

What causes you to open an affiliate e-mail?
    A line that says, "COMMISSION INCREASE!"
    Only half-joking, actually. Basically if I figure it's got something that will help me make more money, it'll have a much better chance of getting opened. But if I open it just to find some "tips" that only a total newb wouldn't already know, I won't bother to open the next one.

I agree with the "don't bother me" approach, and then only if you have something important to say. Don't waste my time or yours.

Internet Cowboy
    Liquidate,
    Mostly keep them short, simple, on point and not preachy.
    If your newsletter takes more than 30-45 seconds of your affiliates' time, that is too much.

Great, thank you for the advice.

ABW Ambassador
    I only want to receive email with text links (including code & my affiliate tracking code) plus no Javascript. I don't want banners or images and if I need those I can get them off CJ.

Just clean text links and the promotion copy in a uniform simple layout.

If you want to send a full color newsletter with all the fireworks, banners, ads, tips and products then just send them out once a month but I will just skim them quickly for any text links and then they will be deleted in seconds. I prefer all emails to be monthly anyway as it's too much work if merchants are sending me new links every week as I deal with thousands of merchants.

Of course this is just my dream merchant and everyone has different requirements.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread