Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    WTF? This place is nuts.
    I requested a Spilsbury datafeed from Performics. They sent it. Then they started sending it daily. I requested that they stop sending it daily, explaining that I update my sites manually a couple of times a year and don't need a daily feed.

The next thing I know I get a phone call from Alexis at Performics who snottily informs me that if I don't update my Spilsbury links daily I'm not working in the best interests of the merchant. Oh yeah? Well guess what Alexis, I do my sites manually and if that's a problem for you, tough luck. Now she implies that I'm unprofessional. So guess what? I didn't disappoint her. I get very unprofessional with her and I'm continuing to be unprofessional with her now.

Is this kind of behavior typical for Performics or did I just get a network rep with a raging case of control freakishness?

There are some merchants who request you update your sites daily when you use feeds because products go in and out of stock so quickly. I get all my feeds updated daily at every network - <shrug>
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

ABW Ambassador
    In all fairness, I don't think what they're asking is unreasonable. A merchant wants their stuff to be kept updated so you don't have out of stocks, dated info. If I was a merchant with a feed/product links I would want my affiliates to have accurate info because if not, I as the merchant am going to hear it from the customers. If you use products links, without the price and links for in stock items, then I would be ok with that.

So how do you all get your product links updated daily? Because I don't have the technical know-how to do it. And frankly, if the merchant and/or network insist that I do it daily then they just lost an affiliate. And Spilsbury knows very well (or at least they should) that I can drive sales.

I heard from the merchant. They have no problem with me continuing to link to their products the way I always have. Apparently all the "attitude" was coming from the network rep at Performics.

That's a hell of a way to make someone's acquaintance, Performics, by insulting and threatening them.

ABW Ambassador
    Now that's the one thing I've never liked, the go betweens (reps) between merchant and affiliate, I think some merchants like it that way. Luckily my experiences so far with the reps have been very good. I still prefer direct contact with the affiliate manager/merchant.

"They have no problem with me continuing to link to their products the way I always have."

That's good. Spilsbury does great during the holidays

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Is this kind of behavior typical for Performics or did I just get a network rep with a raging case of control freakishness?
    Sending a feed daily is typical for them, in fact when I lightly breached the subject of having a different schedule, I was told that their system can't do it any other way!

As for attitude, I didn't get any, but I didn't tell them how long it'd be before I updated, either. I figured let them think what they want...but when I think an update is due is when one happens.

A merchant wants their stuff to be kept updated so you don't have out of stocks, dated info. If I was a merchant with a feed/product links I would want my affiliates to have accurate info because if not, I as the merchant am going to hear it from the customers.
    Yeah, I hear that now...

But still, daily is ridiculous for most merchants. It's not like they buy things by the ones or change their prices daily like gas stations. So I think Perf. is way overdoing it to cram a new feed down our throats every day as a standard operating procedure. If nothing else, they should at least check to see if the merchant itself has sent up a new feed before blasting 'em out (I'm sure some of those feeds haven't changed in a month or more)!

Wow! Thanks for the info, guys. What a revelation. I'm glad to hear that I wasn't singled out, that it's a policy thing with them.

Every network has its Achilles heel I guess. This is the first time I've had a problem with a network. Heck, this is the first time I've had anyone YELL at me! lol! I don't think PF will miss me very much because clearly I'm not their kind of affiliate.

Rhea,

Why not have them FTP the datafeeds to you? That way it doesn't matter how often it's updated and any time you go to update your site you'll always have the most up to date feed already on your server. I'm assuming you're using email delivery.

In any event from a customer standpoint I think it's important to update feeds as often as possible. If I visit a site and it's obvious they haven't updated in a couple days I'll likely never return.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Hey Snib, at this point I don't want to talk to anyone over at PF anymore. I'm gonna keep a nice low profile and deal with the AM and nobody else. I'm afraid the next time somebody at PF raises their voice to me or suggests that I'm a lazy, incompetent nincompoop that I might just go ballistic. I don't like losing my temper so it's best if I just leave them alone and hope they leave me alone right back.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've got the FTP feeds. It's still irksome that they send 'em every day, but not nearly as much as it would be if it was clogging up my email.

Still, I can see not wanting to change it. When it came out awhile back that there were now "more options" for getting their feeds, all I could see was how hard it was for them to get the FTP right (it had kept getting screwed up)...and the thought of having to try to set up some other thing with them was enough for me to stick with what I've got.

If I visit a site and it's obvious they haven't updated in a couple days
    Stale in only a couple of DAYS?? Geesh...I'm glad there are lots of categories where that's not typical...

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Stale in only a couple of DAYS?? Geesh...I'm glad there are lots of categories where that's not typical...
    Sometimes I'll come back for weekly updates if the content is good enough.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

That's crazy, Spilsbury doesn't even keep track of what they have in stock themselves, check out what happened when I tried ordering from there site last Christmas http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=67575

ABW Ambassador
    BTW, one thing you can do with daily feeds is load them into a local database at your home. The database could tell you when there is a change in one of the products that you are promoting.

Whoa! That's interesting! Tell me more. How would that work in Excel? I don't mind reading up on it but first you have to tell me what the feature's called so I can find it.

Very interesting.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread