Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Bought another domain, to-do list always too big
    Lunchtime... eating my beef and cheese sandwich, by myself today for a nice change... dipping my spuds in sweet barbeque sauce... and it hits me... why don't I buy a new domain name X, if available, and get busy developing an entirely new website for a product I already happen know converts like crazy... back to office... darn it, perfect .com, non-hyphenated, critical-seo-keyword domain name is available... bought it... to-do list grows again! I swear (and this isn't my goal), I'm eventually going to start hiring a team to attack my backlog.

Sometimes the excitement wears off and a planned site withers before I get to it, not the case here, one of my best converting niches. This will displace something else in my pile for sure.

We should name this thing... I bet it happens to us all... domain epiphany? I looked up "epiphany" and found - "intuitive realization through an ordinary circumstance" - so that's the correct word alrighty... but does "domain" do it justice? Landing the right domain name, for me, seems to be especially important to theme, ppc, seo, viral and therefore, my own excitement and follow through.

I have a general rule to write down the domain name when the epiphany hits me, let it simmer for a while and see if it has staying power. To try and keep the workload reasonable. But I've been engaging my background brain towards finding a second good way to exploit this niche for some time... so when it hit me today, the simmering was already done.

"Domain epiphany" happened to you lately?

If so, happy D.E. to you! :-)

I think we need a 12 step additiction program for folks like us. I got close to 300 domains before I was forced to stop. I get the shakes every time I resist the temptation to buy another one.

However, I sold one this month at AfterNIC for $600, a record for me. Had it for years and never developed it.

Just think, I could buy over 60 more domains from the proceeds of that sale. Uh oh, I hear temptation callling me again...
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

epiphany addict.

:-)

I try to keep my inventory of domain names to be developed to 5 and no more - for me, that's a long list. I'm slow to build out sites, do a lot of thinking and analyzing beforehand. If I get to 6, I try to give away the bottom one or let the name lapse when that time comes. I have 4 lapsing in Jan and Feb - apparently I'm wandering mentally after the holidays at times... am getting a headstart this year on getting behind, that way I have more time to catch up...

:-)

http and a telephoto
    Donuts, it is a common occurance among us.... as Ron said, we really need a 12 step program to keep us under control ... OR became and aff manager and you have no time to develop domains
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I've been slowly making use of the domains I've purchased, but it leaves a nice list of domains that are still just sitting there.

So, what do I do? I came across two .mobi domains that I thought would surely have been bought, but weren't. And so I snatched them up (buggers are expensive), and add them to an already long list.

I'm hoping the .mobi domains will be profitable as a sale later. who knows. Now I need to figure out which project to get back on..!

My list is about 10-15 ideas right now. I have tons more domains than that, but most of them are variations on names or alternate name ideas that I had for an idea (which I'll redirect when the main domain goes up).

I seldom let domains just expire, unless they're drastically inferior (other TLD's besides .com, long names, hard to spell or confusing) to other than I find later. I usually just put them on Sedo or something. I figure the occassional sale and Sedo earnings will cover the annual fees, plus I renew everything at the same time each year and get bulk rates due to the quantity.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    ( Donuts is greeted by the hostess as he enters the room. Donuts is reassured, yet surprised to see the number of familiar faces already seated in the circle of chairs )

"Welcome to DAM, Domain Addicted Multitaskers. Please have a seat, Mr. Donuts, not all of our members have arrived just yet. But, the weekly support group meeting will be getting underway shortly. Remember, it's always best to acknowledge the problem. This is the first step!"

My biggest issue I have been dealing with today, Donuts, is that I have 5 - count them 5 - domains that I want to buy today, all of which cost $500, and I have like $18 plus change to my name until friday. I need to sell, like, 50 tarps.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Drat, I see that DomainAddict.com is already taken.

DomainAddictsAnonymous.com is available, though.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Talking
    [Donuts enters room]
    Hello, all!

[All -- slowly, with shameful expressions]
    Hello, Donuts . . .

Donuts: Is this domainaholics?

Herb: Yes, domaindrunks is in the parking lot behind the building -- they don't have meetings.

===============

I had a bright idea for a domain Friday. two versions of it were parked by someone but a simpler (wow!) version of it was available. So I hied me down to my favorite registrar and tried to register it and kept getting an error message.
    I figured if I let it go until the next day some software would detect it and it would be gone for a while, so I jumped over to a competitor registrar and managed to get it.

It's in place now with about a hundred pages working. The DNS kicked in in just a few hours and some robots have been tracking mud all over it for over a day.

and I had told myself I had enough to do . . .

I think I first realized I had a problem when I regged ubunghole.com . I think bunghole is a chicken's butt.

Yup, been there too. Guess I'll sign up for the meetings as well I get ideas and go to register a domain and get more ideas, which leads to more domains so I usually end up getting 4 or 5 at a time. Some stick and some just fade away.

When is the next meeting?
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by elbowcreek
    I think I first realized I had a problem when I regged ubunghole.com . I think bunghole is a chicken's butt.
    I probably don't want to know but I have to ask. What were your plans for ubunghole.com?
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice
    What were your plans for ubunghole.com?
    Conversation starter at our meetings... :-)

Donuts, I know the feeling. I have about 40 domains still sitting around waiting for me to find the extra time (and energy) to get them polished up and ready to go.

Let's not mention that list grows weekly as I add a few more.

percolating pot of profitable, prospective, promising, pet projects... it's like caffeine, we need it.

Last week me and my partner were looking for domain names for a new restaurant network site. When he came up with foodonearth.com, I almost didn't try it - guess it was already taken (by Unicef, maybe). Heck!! it was available!!? o_0
    - I have it secure under my name within the next three minutes.

If you're considering a discount angle on the restaurant network, I have both EatCheapNow.com and EatForCheap.com for sale.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Geez, I thought I was in trouble having 1 of my 3 domains not up and running. I guess I'm still a baby affiliate marketer.

Sheri

ABW Ambassador
    "What were your plans for ubunghole.com?"

I can see a site where people come to rant on certain people. (So and So) is a Bunghole. And then let people just go off, blow some steam. I think it could be a very viral type of site. Get lots of traffic and then monetize it. You could have Bunghole of the Day, Week, Month, and a special Bunghole Of The Year Award. I see lots of potential for the domain. Somebody awhile back posted a rant site they had up. They were just testing cold fusion? something like that and the site just sort of took off.

Wow! Coley, you really have lots of domain name. I'll keep it in mind, maybe after I get it up and running - and generates some income, ofcourse.

Thanks for the offer,
    Mc.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Lunchtime... I swear (and this isn't my goal), I'm eventually going to start hiring a team to attack my backlog.
    Geez Donuts - if you hired a couple part timers to handle some of that you might even end up making some dough (lite on the do) at this game!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice
    I probably don't want to know but I have to ask. What were your plans for ubunghole.com?
    I was going to make Michael Moore the first winner of the bunghole awards... I thought I would get a trophy and have the annual Bunghole awards announced, complete with a trophy and a shirt.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Michael "krispy creme" Moore?? LOL, Lmbfao, Lmlao, Lmabwao, Lmlsao, Michael Moore??

Michael Moore - GB hollywood. Michael "leave it to beaver" Moore?!!! Thanks dude!!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Michael "krispy creme" Moore??
    I don't get the reference???

Does Krispy Kreme make meat donuts? (bungholes?)

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    "What were your plans for ubunghole.com?"

I can see a site where people come to rant on certain people. (So and So) is a Bunghole. And then let people just go off, blow some steam. I think it could be a very viral type of site. Get lots of traffic and then monetize it. You could have Bunghole of the Day, Week, Month, and a special Bunghole Of The Year Award. I see lots of potential for the domain. Somebody awhile back posted a rant site they had up. They were just testing cold fusion? something like that and the site just sort of took off.
    Seriously, this is an excellent idea! Traffic is the hardest part of this biz and this is a great idea, Trust. Reminds me a little of the popularity of that don't date him girl site that's been getting a lot of press lately.

Alexa says:
    "Traffic Rank for dontdatehimgirl.com: 18,770"
    http://www.alexa.com/data/details/tr...atehimgirl.com

That's a lot of traffic!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast