How mich information should you put onto alt tags? Is using the same alt tag over and over likely to be penalized as spam. Is puting "mysite.com" in the tag any advantage?

ABW Ambassador
    Well, it is always best to describe the image that the alt. tag is attached to as that is their real purpose. If this just so happens to involve some of your main keywords then what d'ya know [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] .

What can you get away with with alt. tags - well take a look at the home page for www.wordtracker.com. That will give you some idea. Wouldn't be the way I would do it, though.

I use alt. tags thus: if the navigation is images, I use keyword rich alt. tags; if I need to improve keyword proximity and there is an image I can do it with, then I will; if there is little real text on the page, then I will use alt. tags to boost density and relevance. I try to use them sparingly in terms of keywords and ensure they make sense for their real purpose.

Lastly, if mysite.com is something that might be searched on and is relevant to the image, then sure go ahead.

well how about something like

alt="Buy Pagan, Wiccan and goth jewelry silver Bali Hoops earrings for sale at mywitchshop.com"

Can the same tag be sued several times on the same page?

ABW Ambassador
    Doesn't pass the if a Google engineer was standing over your shoulder test. And it doesn't make sense as a sentence.

I would vary tags across the page. Change the order of the words at the very least.

Really though, I wouldn't spam alt. tags or anything else. You'll get away with it most likely if you don't overdo it as it won't trip a filter; but is it worth the risk.

My advice - write decent optimized text, target only a couple of phrases per page and basically follow the standard right down the line no risk approach to SEO.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread