ABW Ambassador
    I know most people 'round here strongly dislike eBay's policy, which enables them to, as it seems, extend any $5.00 lead as long or as often as they like. Over the past week, I've seen my balance drop considerably, and there is no explanation. I can only assume, because of the $5.00 increments, that eBay is the source of my frustration.
    Something needs to be done here CJ...I have no way of keeping track of money I've earned from CJ if you allow companies like this to extend a transaction from previous months. Reports and account balances are now useless.
    I'm sick of seeing that I have $XX.XX in my acct one day and then it's $15 less the next...I feel that all my work is going down the tubes because non eBay sales/leads are making up for eBay extensions. It's making me work twice as hard, so that one day, maybe, just maybe, if I'm lucky, I might get what I earned out of eBay.
    I don't care if they did it to protect themselves. There are other ways to do it, such as not adding a sale to our balance until it clears...it's not brain surgery...it's not even as hard as putting on a bandaid!
    eBay is one of my biggest earners and I'd hate to lose 'em as a merchant, but their games are getting old.
    I am asking for CJ to not allow abuse of their system...CJ won't lose money either way, so they might as well make the publishers happy. We are the reason you're in business! remember that.
    At least make the reports reflect extended transactions better & not have them show as part of the balance we expect to see on a check. That's not too much to ask...

FreeCallz.com - Free and cheap phone services.

ABW Ambassador
    >>I have no way of keeping track of money I've earned from CJ if you allow companies like this to extend a transaction from previous months. Reports and account balances are now useless.<<

The reports are not useless, the data (all transactions) are still in them. You just have to wait a considerable amount of time to close out a month's bookeeping. At least at CJ, the transactions don't just vaporize like some other programs where you truly have no record of a sale gone bad.

It is a PITA to have to re-run reports and leave the books open just waiting for eBay, but it's not impossible, it's not even that hard.

>>I don't care if they did it to protect themselves. There are other ways to do it, such as not adding a sale to our balance until it clears...it's not brain surgery...it's not even as hard as putting on a bandaid!<<

And from some peoples' perspective it's a very bad idea.

I want to know the sale is made at the time it comes in. It's important information for judging how a campaign is going.

And then there's a huge difference between promoting a merchant with a high reversal rate and one with a low conversion rate -- without knowing what sales were made and then lost, you don't know which you're promoting.

I sympathize (and empathize) with your frustration, but your solution, IMO, creates greater problems than it solves.

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

There is no excuse for eBay to extend a lead past the initial 30 day period, except to intentionally delay payment to affiliates. At that point, the lead has either bid on something or it has not. So, lock it or reverse it.

I also have a difficult time swallowing the "unqualified lead" excuse for reversals. Either someone sees something they want to bid on, and they register and bid, or they wait to register when they do see something they want. I've asked and asked and asked, and only one person told me they signed up early "just in case they spotted something." The rest said they spotted something they wanted after clicking an eBay link, signed up and immediately bid on it.

There is really no good excuse for extending leads over and over again.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    -=[The reports are not useless, the data (all transactions) are still in them. You just have to wait a considerable amount of time to close out a month's bookeeping.]=-
    For people who live month to month, check to check, this is not an option.

-=[I want to know the sale is made at the time it comes in. It's important information for judging how a campaign is going.]=-
    So do I. You left out my last comment...I would love for it to be accurate, but what messes it up is that they extend it after the 30 day period passes, as Andy stated.

-=[I sympathize (and empathize) with your frustration, but your solution, IMO, creates greater problems than it solves.]=-
    When did happy publishers become a problem?

I don't have the time to look it up right now, but I remember somebody saying something about how CJ's policy is to only allow extensions so many times or for a certain period of time, yet eBay gets away with this...anyone care to quote CJ's policy toward this?

quick note: CJ should enable reports for periods longer than a month. This would help out considerably...rather than having to compare, May to June, June to July, July to August, August to this month...too impossible to figure a problem out w/ a quick glance.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't get this. The extension time is a gift, not a burden.

I would say about 1/3 of all my $5 signups convert very quickly. Out of the other 2/3 another 1/3 convert late into the process. Why would you want to throw away this chance to convert?

Maybe I am a complete moron and don't understand the who system, but as I see it, the extension is not an extension in the time to pay the affiliate, it is an extension in their "cookie" or conversion date to allow a longer chance for the person to convert.

If at this point you do not understand how ebay works, I do not feel sorry for you. It has been well documented here, if you don't like the risk, don't take. But I agree with above, I want to see my sale right away and then if it doesn't convert fine, but at least I see how the campaign does.

Chet

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Chez, I'd be willing to bet money that the extensions do not result in added lead payments: If that lead bids on the 31st day, well, that's outside the parameters of their affiliate program agreement, and you're not getting squat for it. I would bet solid money on that. Ebay is not here to help affiliates earn money: Ebay is here to increase their bottom line. They are not going to gift you leads one minute outside the parameters of their agreement.

If you try to please everybody, someone won't like it -Rumsfeld

ABW Ambassador
    I think we can all agree that we want our balance updated in real time, and I've always known that you may get an extra sale or two because of the extensions, but those aren't worth the frustration for me. The sales that I do get money for are; however, worth the frustration...that's why I stick w/ eBay. I suppose the problem, as I've said before, is with CJ.
    How 'bout this...if CJ were to add a new transaction on the date the extension took place, along w/ a running total, or subtotal, then the math would be done for us. and it's something CJ only has to program once, so how 'bout it? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    For example, if I were to do a report and want to see the last week, and my balance has gone down, I think it only reasonable that they show a negative number for the week and the actual real time balance.
    I'm sure other merchants do this too, but of those, I only have experience w/ eBay, so I used them as an example...one that everyone here can relate to in one way or another...

[edit]
    has eBay's AM been invited to ABW? & if so, what was their response?
    [/edit]

[This message was edited by Celicaphile on September 11, 2002 at 12:21 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    Can you give a one line example of what would be in the columns/rows of your modified report? It may just be that I'm typing (and reading) at 3:30 in the morning, but I'm not following what it is you're asking for.

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

Ever thought of opening a new CJ account just for ebay?

I

Andy wrote:

I also have a difficult time swallowing the "unqualified lead" excuse for reversals. Either someone sees something they want to bid on, and they register and bid, or they wait to register when they do see something they want.

I think that "unqualified lead" means a few things. It naturally means that someone didn't bid within 30 days. I think it also means that the new signup was not from the US, or the new signup was determined to already have had an eBay account in the past or present.

I would rather see the reversal rate than see only "qualified" leads show up.

However, it makes it very hard to do accounting, because in any given check, you are paid for:

1) Your "sales" from the previous month (the $0.05).

2) Any leads from the previous month that were determined to be qualified right away (i.e. someone registers and bids immediately).

3) Any leftover leads from 2 months ago that bid sometime after "immediately" and before "30 days went by".

For example, in the check I expect on 9/20, I will see:

1) August nickles.

2) A couple of August leads that qualified immediately.

3) A couple of July leads that didn't qualify immediately but weren't reversed.

The problem is that after the month has gone by, you can't tell which check a particular lead was paid in, because you don't know if they fall into the "qualified immediately" category or the "didn't qualify immediately" category.

If they did something like pay us $0.01 more for the immediate category, we'd be able to tell. But we can't, so the accounting is a nightmare.

Ralph

http://www.hockeydb.com

ABW Ambassador
    I think they could do away w/ the "Status" category on the reporting page. Instead, they should have a running total next to the commissions category. And if I see a transaction and five minutes later it's reversed, or otherwise, I would like to see a new transaction reflecting this right under the first transaction. If a transaction from the previous month is extended, I want to see it in this month's report...real time.
    I also hate how the Grand Total can be $50 less than my balance...they definitely need to allow us to view reports of periods longer than a month is they won't change anything else...
    If anyone uses online banking of any kind, you probably see something similar to CJ's reports; however, you should see transactions for money deposited into your account and separate transactions for withdrawals. CJ could use separate categories for debits and credits like my credit union...

Cedric:
    Type|Sale|Commission|Total|WebSite|Advertiser|Link|TransactionID|SID|Time|ModifiedDate|Batched

*I have no idea what SID is and we could lose Batched as well as far as I'm concerned...

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread