Taking the academic plunge....
    Well, after screwing around in the corporate world for 12 years, then working primarily in aff marketing, SEO and web development for the last 2, I've decided I need a little more on the fulfillment side.

So...

I'm going back to school. And I'm both excited and petrified about it.

My course of study will be physics, heavy on the "astro" side.

Too many nights during my life time have I lay awake wondering about the nature of this here universe. And watching The Hawking Paradox on Sunday finally sparked me to do something about it.

Not that I haven't toyed with a return to academia previously. But the stars have lined up so to speak, with my wife employed as a teacher now (read: great benefits and pension), and it just "feeling" like the right time.

So...

Wish me luck. It will be difficult to surround myself with 18 year old women again. It will be even harder for me not to scold anyone I bump into in the halls that is pursuing an MBA (what a waste).

I don't know exactly how the next few years will pan out. But I can't wait to get started.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    Good Luck

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Go Noth! I was previously a nuclear physicist (not kidding!). Learning keeps the mind young and vibrant - glad to hear your news!

Internet Cowboy
    Awesome Kevin. Don't be surprised when you get there if there are lots of people your age.
    I started college at 29 and there were many people in my classes that were my age or even much older. It is a huge trend these days.

The 4 1/2 years I spent in college were some of the best of my life. I loved it! I'm jealous!

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    You have my best wishes for success! I was 38 when I went back to college and 41 when I graduated. I had an absolute blast (mostly because I had a lot of field coursework). I was an interdisciplinary science major (bio core) and I think you'll find that your fellow nerds really don't care what age you are or what you look like or drive or even if your mother DOES dress you funny.

The first semester I was a nervous wreck. After that it got easier to the point where, if circumstances had permitted, I'd probably have become a professional student. I'm envious of your adventure. Keep us posted on how it goes!

The 4 1/2 years I spent in college were some of the best of my life. I loved it! I'm jealous!
    So go back

Thanks all for the well wishes. I'm planning a blog about this whole experience. Just what the world needs right? Another blog... However shall I monetize a blog about colleges? LOL.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Affiliate Manager
    Best of luck, Kevin!
    Join The [B][URL=http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=10705]Giftshoppingzone.com[/URL] [/B] Affiliate Program on SAS - [B]10% on sales , Unlimited cookie, over 15,000 products in datafeed![/B]
    [URL=http://gift-ideas.giftshoppingzone.com/]Gift Ideas[/URL]

Tax Paying Member
    Congratulations. It is well worth the effort and as said before, the life is fantastic.

I did it as an older student........Engineering.......loved it

My wife, the PHD of the family, and I talk frequently about going back to school. I want to be a lawyer, she wants to just study.

There were many older students and the "youngans" accepted us. The discord was with a few professors who thought that us older guys were just taking up space. Of course, you learn quickly that you might get a better education by avoiding those teachers.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Contrats. You will do better than you think. Have fun with it and don't let the tough days get you down. Just means you are a good student and trying hard.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

The discord was with a few professors who thought that us older guys were just taking up space.
    That's interesting. I hadn't thought about it that way. I had a short discussion with the Dean of Physics at the Rochester Institute of Technology (www.rit.edu), and his concern was not along those lines, but rather:

You understand how much math you have to catch up on, right?

So, on the agenda today is buying a book on rudimentary algebra so I can reteach myself, ahead of the January start date, equation structure, etc.

But, if I wasn't mathematically inclined, I probably wouldn't have chosen physics...
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

ABW Ambassador
    However shall I monetize a blog about colleges? LOL.

Interesting idea!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Kevin, I started in mechanical engineering and Fraternity, the frat won out until I got engaged then she won out. I wasn't accepted to the engineering school I applied to (read "bad grades") and the others didn't have enough work to support me (read "put myself through school"). So as I checked around (now in my mid twenties) I found a state university who needed physics students and got accepted on probation. I finished and never regretted it. Ended up going into manufacturing and left that career field after 13 years and traveling around the world.

Whether you go the teaching route, become a scientist or just go into industry, you will never regret what you learn. Einstein worked at the patent office and tore apart patents before he tore apart atoms. Hell, you could come back and find a way to defeat parasites for affiliate marketing. Just bone up on partical physics and black hole theory (Hawking).

Best of luck to you, Kevin!

You'll keep the OPMweb running anyway, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    ...It will be difficult to surround myself with 18 year old women again.
    Are you married?

Geno

Just bone up on partical physics and black hole theory
    That's going to be my primary focus. Thanks CH...

Geno: Yup, I'm happily married. I was kind of being facecious there, but I do believe it will be interesting to surround myself with 18 year olds period, much less women.

And yup, I still plan on running OPMweb in the meantime. In truth though, I've done way more work in SEO and web development than in affiliate marketing from inquiries on my web site. I've actually got a couple of deals in the works that might help pay for this college investment. I'm also working with 2 friends here in Rochester on a new kind of search engine, and we have been pleased with our intellectual progress on it anyways, even if the mechanics is nowhere near completed.

So much to do, so little time!
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    You needn't worry about either the 18 year old women or the algebra.

18 year old female science majors aren't terribly different from 40 year old female science majors, except that the older ones have their own pads.

As for algebra, as long as you remember how to do arithmetic and you have good logic skills, you'll be fine. You should start worrying about calculus, however.

Best of luck, Noth! I remember the days when I so wanted to get out of college and get into the real world. It wasn't soon after that I realized I wanted back in!!

Just try to keep the eyes on the text and not the pretty women surrounding you at all times..!

http and a telephoto
    RIT is an excellent choice as you know Noth, and I'll be routing for you. I went back to college 4-5 times and never was able to finish due to life getting in the way... but each time I learned something valuable.

This nice thing about going back as an adult is that you *want* to be there and the teachers know you want to be there and you aren't there just cause it was what you should do after high school....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I was an older student and it took me 3 semesters to get through algebra After I got it it seemed so simple!!

I was thinking about going back to school just for some .edu links! Maybe we can hit you up for some (thats the REAL reason your going back)...J/K

I loved college I graduated when I was 32 with a fine arts degree. Moved to Santa Fe to sell and make art.

During that time I spent around Los Alamos/Santa Fe I hung out with some of their scientists ...fun bunch...great late night quark discussions. Lots of scientists around there. There's a think tank in Santa Fe also... ahhh the old days...
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Deb: I'll be hitting RIT after a few courses at MCC to get the Physics Advisory Sequence. No sense in dropping 40k a year to learn the Liberal Arts stuff

Good point on the Calculus Rhea
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Kevin, all the best to you and remember to have fun!

Astro physics has to be fascinating. You're gonna love it!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

http and a telephoto
    The professors at MCC will love you, believe me. You will learn, but you will get good grades just for showing up and paying attention, lol....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread