Your favorite colors...for conversion!
    Just thinking about a post by ecomcity about colors (http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...17&postcount=9)...

I've read that fast food joints use reds and oranges and rock music to get people to eat faster and therefore turn more tables, but what about on the web?

What colors do you all think convert best? Does it depend more on your product or does mauve just make people reach for their wallets?

I personally have been designing in greens and yellows lately, but I certainly haven't studied conversion rate as linked to color.

--Jason
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Dark blue is the favorite of the Commission Check, if it's done in such a way that the whole page doesn't end up looking too dark. If the overall brightness can be maintained while having some dark blue on there, it seems to work well. I've tried baby blue and sky blue on some sites, but that wasn't any good for conversions. Although it seemed to work for a baby-stuff merchant I used to have, so it looks like the type of product effects results.

Cream can work for some products, and for other things it absolutely bombs. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to spot a consistent pattern in the effect yet, so it's trial-and-error.

Affiliate Manager
    Whatever the site's design and other jazz is colored. Products and promotional text (in a black font) when displayed on a white background always seems to be the best converter.
    Join The [B][URL=http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=10705]Giftshoppingzone.com[/URL] [/B] Affiliate Program on SAS - [B]10% on sales , Unlimited cookie, over 15,000 products in datafeed![/B]
    [URL=http://gift-ideas.giftshoppingzone.com/]Gift Ideas[/URL]

Have had good luck with the medium to dark blue. Better than red. At least from my experience.

Sheri

My favorite color is $100 bill green, you know, the crisp new ones.

Seriously, blue seems to be the most pleasing on the eyes, like the colors of this forum and is my favorite.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I would think blue and yellow

There is a particular magic colour scheme that I use on all my sites that mesmerizes visitors into clicking and buying, but of course, I'm not going to reveal what it is.

Realistically though - I used to search the web for psychological colours appropriate to the subject of the site, but I forgot to do that and it doesn't seem to make any difference. Or at least I am unable and unwilling to perform a comparison test.

White background looks most professional and easy on the eye, dark text, black or navy contrasts best. As for other colours - I apply the rule-of-three, more than three of anything, colours (ex b&w), fonts etc. and it starts to look a mess.

I did read many years ago that white on black is easiest to read over black on white. It just makes me think the site is tending towards the seedy though...

ABW Ambassador
    You can just check out the major sites, Ebay, Amazon etc. Most of the majors have had experts go thru it, with colors, usability, split testing to see what converts the best. Also lots of usability info out there as far as colors and things like:

"For example, studies have shown that blue-underlined text is the most reliable indicator of links and provide the most click-throughs."

My brother drilled that into me when I was first starting out, usability is part of what he does for a living.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    You can just check out the major sites, Ebay, Amazon etc. Most of the majors have had experts go thru it, with colors, usability, split testing to see what converts the best.
    Good simple - straight forward advise! Colors are an intersting part of closing sales and the industry giants use their color schemes for a good reason.

Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ABW Ambassador
    I didn't know this:

"CSS style sheets unfortunately give websites the power to disable a Web browser's "change font size" button and specify a fixed font size. About 95% of the time, this fixed size is tiny, reducing readability significantly for most people over the age of 40. "

Maybe we should have some usability threads? That would be interesting to me. Topics that would help in click thrus, sales etc. Font size, best colors, links, search etc.

Medium Blue & Green work fairly well.

PS. Stylesheets will only remove the font size control if the webmaster has designated a "fixed size". If the webmaster uses % the end user can increase the font size.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Unfortunately, most sites I've seen which decide to use tiny type also use methods which make it unchangeable.

About 95% of the time, this fixed size is tiny, reducing readability significantly for most people over the age of 40. "
    A person doesn't have to be over 40 to not be able to read it. I've been cussing those kinds of sites out for 10 years now, and I'm still not to the Big Four-Oh. Now I'm very likely to just hit Back; I am old enough that I don't have the patience for such things as unchangeable tiny type.

Even on the rare occasion that it is changeable (via IE), I usually just go away rather than bother. I got sick of getting off some tiny-type site that I enlarged to normal-looking, only to forget to change my settings back after I leave, and have the next site look all wacky. So now I just skip tiny-type sites whenever possible.

Tiny type is tough, because often you don't have the room to display type at the size you would like. The solution I've come up with (until browsers really start implementing CSS in a uniform way and I can come up with a flexible design) is to really use the headline method. If the type has to be small, at least I can get my main message accross in a nice big headline.

Maybe we should have some usability threads?
    I too would love to see some usability discussions. I find that kind of stuff so interesting! Plus, with the newest sites out there really doing some interesting usability things with AJAX and java, I think it is time the rest of us caught up. Honestly, I sometimes use one site over another just because the AJAX functionality makes things so smooth!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread