when starting campaign, broad+accelerated?
    It's my understanding that broad match and accelerated delivery are ideal methods to get some steam in a campaign when starting out.

Do any of you guys use this method? It seems the quickest way to establish a good QS and thus get more clicks. I've put in bout 30 negatives so far and will
    be adding more shortly.

due to the long tail nature of search engine activity, where 80% of searches are 2-4 words and there are many "1 hit wonders" the only way to get those wonders is through the use of broad and phrase match. while exact match is highly efficient in terms of ROI and CTR, it misses out on this unique monthly traffic.

what do you guys think?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    starting with broad gives you a low ctr. start with a rifle then widen your aim, not the reverse. it takes patience, but yields higher position and better discipline in accurate targeting.

accelerated doesn't matter much unless you're near budget limit, which I don't do - but i go from small to big, so can see why it'd matter to you at times. but, it's a daily delivery mechanism, so realize your ads are showing more earlier in the day (forgetting for a second where you may have dayparting settings at) and then tapering later as you near your budget. this is favorable in b2b sales generally, and the opposite is true in b2c generally.

have fun!

thanks Donuts.

I had a 6%CTR for 1 broad keyword, and .80% for the other in one adgroup.
    Do you think it's wise to seperate the two into seperate adgroups?

or does it really matter?

it depends on a couple of things, but if the words are closely related / themed, it's no problem leaving them in the same ad group even with diverse ctrs - each keyword has it's own ctr.

the disparity in your keywords tell me the ad and the words that fire them off may not be well optimized, perhaps the ad matches one term well and the other not so well - which means they're likely not tightly themed - but that's just a guess from the outside - can't see the theme / integration here or be assured you have sufficient sample size, etc. if tight theme, no sweat. if not, break them out.

btw, 6% ctr for a broad match keyword is good. sounds like you've got some negs in there. if not, add some - it'll only make things better.

sounds like you've got some negs in there.
    just 30 right now, but I'll be adding more each time i think of them.I'm thinking of using DKI to better optimize the creative and see where it gets me.

integration here or be assured you have sufficient sample size, etc. if tight theme, no sweat. if not, break them out.
    what do you use as a sample size? it seems to be one of those things that's different for each niche/industry. I was going to wait until I hit 200 clicks before reoptimizing or moving keywords around.

for reviewing conversion rates, i use a min of 300 clicks as a general thumbrule, but prefer 500+

for optimizing ads and keywords, since many can run concurrent, i'll add things and watch for trends and not necessarily strictly need 300+ or whatever. if i write two ads for instance and after 100 imps (on search, not content), one has a 12% ctr and the other has a 6% ctr, i'll focus on the ideas and theme in the better ad and pile on more ads like it (and fewer like the lesser one)

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread