Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    Domain Privacy?
    Just curious to see how any of you use the whois domain privacy option and why? I'm seriously considering it, since on a couple of sites a few people have emailed about their orders and I'm having a heck of a time convincing them that I am not the merchant and redirecting their email to where it should go..
    I've also started to get mailed addressed to me under my po box for all sorts of domain renewals etc and a few private letters in regards to my sites, I kinda feel like just hiding the info and staying real private.. Any pros and cons anyone wants to share?

Well, I'm certainly not an expert but here's what I have done and my reasons.

I have two sites where I promote other people and their services. On those sites my domain name is registered privately. I have one site that promotes me and my business, on that one I have my domain registered for public consumption.

Not sure why others do what they do or don't do, but that's my take on it.

Sheri

I don't use privacy. When I get the junk mail about renewing domains I just bin it. When I get emailed about issues that do not pertain to the domain per se I either forward them to the people concerned or bin them.

I use my mobile on my whois but since it's a French number I rarely get called... strange that

I switched to private because of the increase of being contacted by visitors to my site, some were even calling all hours of the day/night. Some merchants don't like to approve you for programs when the domain info is private though so i think maybe the best option might be to do a p.o. box route
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

I just use my business PO Box, free eFax, free eVoice, etc. My voice mail message is set up to tell people that they need to email to get a response and that any voice mails left won't be responded to.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    If your ebusiness can't muster being in the White and Yellow pages, business directories and the Whois database... your problems are worse then just a few crank calls, spams and junk mail. Now someone like Ms.B (BLFH) doing real sleuthwork on the bad guys needs private domain info and such.

Any network enabled merchant with a private Whois is a crook... period!
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    I use the privacy option. My goals in life are to be invisible, unimportant, and very rich.

Why would I put my name and address out there for everyone in the world to see. (I also have an unlisted phone number.)

Most merchants approve me, so that hasn't been a problem. The few that haven't approved me, have later approved me, after I contact them and they review the quality of my site.

Given the nature of affiliate marketing, folks need to email the merchants if they have any issues....not me. That's why I selected this biz.

I used to have a career where I was on the front page of newspapers on a regular basis and death threats were not uncommon. This is much nicer.

I think when you are a business and are making money, privacy on your domain is a bad sign for the above average user.

Might look scammish. I have a PO box and a Voice mail in my whois.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I also use a po box and free efax voicemail for my domain registrations.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

I also use a po box and free efax voicemail for my domain registrations.
    How dishonest would it be to use a made up employee for the contact name and then your P.O. box. Book authors do it all the time.

Its not a question of ebusiness being able to muster being in the white and yellow pages - but I do have a right to have my privacy for my children and myself.

If I was a merchant who dealt with customers it would be a totally different ball game. As an affiliate, i don't see why that info needs to be public.

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    If your ebusiness can't muster being in the White and Yellow pages, business directories and the Whois database... your problems are worse then just a few crank calls, spams and junk mail. Now someone like Ms.B (BLFH) doing real sleuthwork on the bad guys needs private domain info and such.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi
    Its not a question of ebusiness being able to muster being in the white and yellow pages - but I do have a right to have my privacy for my children and myself.
    Exactly. I have WHOIS privacy and my host offers it free of charge.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    LOL... the same concerned females probably have kids with public Myspace accounts, multiple chat sessions going while online and post on multiple dating sites. Take a pole and find out, after millions of page views and postings in affiliate forums, where some affiliate was stalked and assulted from having an accurate public Whois listing.

Meanwhile billions are pilfered annually by the private Whois affiliates via Phishing, spamming, identifty theft and outright fraud. Any female working in the brick-n-mortar world has a hundred time greater chance of being a victim then some stay at home online worker bee.

Like I said. Any pseudo merchant with a private or phoney Whois profile is a crook. Affiliates have an option to keep it private, at the expense of transparancy & creditability. But spare me the devient sleazeballs seek out affiliate site owner victims via public Whois info.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    LOL... the same concerned females probably have kids with public Myspace accounts, multiple chat sessions going while online and post on multiple dating sites.
    That is so true. On my main website I have a very busy message board and I can't tell you how many women will post their children's pictures, where they live, children's names etc... without giving it a second thought. You just can't do that in this world and that is why I do everything I can to protect my privacy and that of my family's. I am very visible online in my world and I don't really want people to be able to contact me except through email.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    How dishonest would it be to use a made up employee for the contact name and then your P.O. box. Book authors do it all the time.
    Who said anything about putting a fake employee name?

Everyones entitled to their privacy but if you're doing a business your customers/visitors are entitled to some knowledge of who you are.

Some of us may have public myspace accounts and be on dating sites, but my address and phone number is not available for the world to see as it is with domain names. Big difference.
    Heidi

I also keep my information private.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I just use my business PO Box, free eFax, free eVoice, etc. My voice mail message is set up to tell people that they need to email to get a response and that any voice mails left won't be responded to.
    Free evoice and efax? I'll have to look into finding out more about those options.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

They make the free versions pretty hard to find. Here are the direct links:

https://www.efax.com/en/efax/twa/signupFree
    https://www.evoice.com/evoice/twa/signupFree
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    They make the free versions pretty hard to find. Here are the direct links:

https://www.efax.com/en/efax/twa/signupFree
    https://www.evoice.com/evoice/twa/signupFree
    Thanks!
    leeann

I use whois privacy option. Though it's required to have legal and accurate contact information on the whois for the privacy company, and if they find it inaccurate or out-of-date they can remove the privacy altogether.

Those that use privacy options are not crook, and saying so is jut being ignorant. There are plenty of legit reasons to use it (from stalking to forcing the customer to use the contact information you choose to give out on the site). What makes people think that crooks won't just use fake contact information instead of privacy?

You can always use a POB, vonage phone number, etc and "appear" to be legit. By the time people track you down you are pretty much gone anyway. So to say that the privacy option is just crooks hiding is the biggest bag of bullhockey I have ever seen written.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't have a problem with it, it's up to each person so who cares what other people think about it. It's your business, run it as you see fit.

My new domains are private by default, so I'm leaving it like that.

As far as customers and site visitors I think it's a little different for merchants and affiliates. I don't think I've ever had a site visitor whois me.

"Affiliates have an option to keep it private, at the expense of transparancy & creditability."

Don't think it makes you any less credible. Bad guys usually put up fake info or none it all.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread