I need to have a database built
    Hi,

I am looking to design a database for my website where an individual would fill out a form with 5 to 10 lines and the information received would be sent instantly to 10 to 20 businesses email that I would used for that particular request.

A different user will fill out another form similar to the first form but the information would be sent to another set of businesses email that was setup for that particular request.

Example: The user would fill out their name address, telephone number, contact information, check related boxes to their needs, and fill out a comment section.

In this example the user is looking for tires. 5 to 10 tire companies will receive this email. Each business will not be able to see their competitor's email address.

Please contact me at 706-560-6514 for more details.

Terence Daniel
    (removed site)
    Last edited by loxly; October 26th, 2006 at 08:11 PM. Reason: removed manual sig

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Easy, easy stuff. Even I could do it and I'm a hack. Several here should reply - designerwhiz, patrick24601, etc.

We're not really a work-for-hire board though, if you get no replies try elance.com.

Building a web database
    I have no experience in building database so any help here will be great to me. I was referred here as the best source to finding a designer to do this. I am not sure if posting my website is prohibited so I will not. Thanks in advance

I just sent you a pm dBiz.
    Recycled Talent - Architects of custom scripts and snippets, perfectly written to suit any need. We stay on top of the latest technology so you don't have to.
    Total Stupidity - Shining light on stupid things.

If you are still interested, I can do it. I can show you previous projects of mine if you would like. Good luck.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by cditty
    I just sent you a pm dBiz.
    Um... cditty... you are a veteran... look at how many posts.... PM never got through....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Glad to see you made it Terence. What's funny is when you mentioned this on the EcomExpo chat the first thing I thought was cditty would take the bait if you post here

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Thanks loxly. Didn't even think about that. dBiz, I'll shoot you an email.

Hey Scott. I burned out a LONG time ago and took a half-hearted break.
    Recycled Talent - Architects of custom scripts and snippets, perfectly written to suit any need. We stay on top of the latest technology so you don't have to.

Actually, dBiz, you don't have your email info available for people to send you emails. If you still need help, use the email function here on the board or you can go to my site and use the contact us form. I'll get back to you asap.

Chris

Hi,

I am looking to design a database for my website where an individual would fill out a form with 5 to 10 lines and the information received would be sent instantly to 10 to 20 businesses email that I would used for that particular request.

A different user will fill out another form similar to the first form but the information would be sent to another set of businesses email that was setup for that particular request.

Example: The user would fill out their name address, telephone number, contact information, check related boxes to their needs, and fill out a comment section.

In this example the user is looking for tires. 5 to 10 tire companies will receive this email. Each business will not be able to see their competitor's email address.

Please contact me at 706-560-6514 for more details.

Terence Daniel
    (removed site)

So a person fills out a form. The first part is standard personal data, name, phone, email, comments, etc., but the last part is a bunch of checkboxes like:

tires, hubcaps, or whatever checkbox you have.

Then, based upon the checkbox data, the email is sent to those companies that match the data in the checkboxes. Correct?

Then, in the database you have a set of merchants. If you had just a table of merchants then you would need some category column for each one, assuming they only had one category. If not, you'd need a second related table.

Anyway, for simplicity, let's say you only have one category for one merchant. You would have a "category" for that merchant and do something along the line of:

reading the form

saving the data in the form, including what they were interested in (definitely will need two tables for this as they will have more than one interest more than likely)

take the person info, save the personal info in some variables

iterate through the checkboxes

take checkbox one, match it to the set of merchants from the database

one at a time create an SMTP message, using the variables with the user information and now with the single row at hand, populate the rest of the email based upon the row's information for the given merchant; send this email

do it again until no more checkboxes

----
    database

Customer Table

customerid
    customername
    customerphone

Customer Interests

InterestID
    CustomerID
    CategoryID

Merchant Table

merchantid
    merchantname
    merchantphone
    merchantcategory (unless more than one)

Merchant Categories

MerchantCategoryID
    MerchantID
    CategoryID

Categories Table

CategoryID
    CategoryDescription

Just my initial thoughts. Not saying its perfect. Just what hit me. Maybe it will help you. Since there are only 10 - 20 emails, it would work okay to use "normal" email functionality. If you add more, hundreds or thousands, then you need another solution for the script part of this. I believe, but not sure, that you would have to create a file, xml, etc. that held the mass / bulk email data, then use some sort of job in the background to send the messages. Not real sure as I have never done bulk emailing before.

On the other hand, I don't know why you couldn't use Blind Carbon Copy, and just put the recipients all in there. This would keep them from seeing the competitor's email.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread