Display How Many Results?
    For a large datafeed is there some number to return that is best. Google shows 10 I think but some of my sites return 30 and I'm believing that is to much.

Tax Paying Member
    My opinion is 10 or 12. Too many is overload (confusing) for the customer.
    I personally dislike scrolling down a long page to find what I want/need.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

I just reset a couple of sites to 15 results and it sure picks up the load time. MySQL5 has inspired me to go over the way I'm doing things with INDEXs and other speed enhancements. They are flying now.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    The problem I have when I have it that low is the links to the other pages 1 2 3 etc can be in the hundreds causing the page to load very slowly.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    For a large datafeed is there some number to return that is best. Google shows 10 I think but some of my sites return 30 and I'm believing that is to much.
    Google shows 10 *by default* but the user isn't stuck with that puny amount if they don't want it.

I have my G preferences set to show 100! And I hate it when I stumble on a site that ass-u-mes that everyone has an amoebic attention span, and doesn't give a way to change the settings.

So overall, having options is the best-case scenario. Some people on one end of the scale may get overwhelmed by lots of listings, but there's the other end of the spectrum who, like me, will quickly go away from a site that expects a person to drill through 50 pages of 10 listings each. Personally when I see you mention "30" listings I think, "GEEZ do you think I've got all day to just sit and click 'Next'?!?" With options, you could satisfy all different opinions of how long the list should be.

"Show All" is the option I always pick on ecommerce sites that have it, no matter how many items are involved. I mention this because it's amazing how many sites have list-size options, but no Show All...

So overall, having options is the best-case scenario.
    So here I was all proud of my improved pagination and get another challenge.
    I have my G preferences set to show 100!
    I do that too but it keeps going back to 10. The other preferences stay put.

links to the other pages 1 2 3 etc can be in the hundreds causing the page to load very slowly.
    I improved my links set up after reading Larry Ullman's (MySQL 2nd Ed) explanation of pagination. It loads fast.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread