Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Question Google PR of 5?
    Any idea how this site got a google PR of 5?

It does not have content (sorry leader) and it looks spanking new cos I looked up alexa and it does not have any history.

UMATAX . COM

Alexa Traffic Details. No history for the last 2 yrs

And it is not a godaddy domain..
    2 backlinks via google search

Magic?

Affiliate Manager
    Didn't do any research on the domain, but there was this black hat technique about 301 redirects a few months ago that was being talked about. A lot of black hat SEOs, did some coding into their pages so that the toolbar would pick up the PR of a high PR site and display it. the site it self, however would have much lesser or no actual PR and wouldn't really be effective in the SEs. It was just a show-off illusion trick. I'm not sure if google has done something about that yet or not.
    Join The [B][URL=http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=10705]Giftshoppingzone.com[/URL] [/B] Affiliate Program on SAS - [B]10% on sales , Unlimited cookie, over 15,000 products in datafeed![/B]
    [URL=http://gift-ideas.giftshoppingzone.com/]Gift Ideas[/URL]

Thanks Ashok for contributing. I will look it up.

It was just a show-off illusion trick.
    Or boosts the perceived value if for sale.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    This phenomenon is nothing special.

It does not have content (sorry leader) and it looks spanking new cos I looked up alexa and it does not have any history.
    Oh, I see it's a parked page. I was going to say not to trust Alexa on the history, since they don't have the history for some of my lower-traffic sites either, even though they've been online for years--but a parked page is a whole other matter.

As for the PR5, I would guess that there are still links pointing at it from whatever it was before it went to parking. I let some doms go that had PR4s, and when I curiosity-checked later, I saw they were maintaining that rank. The reason? Because I haven't gotten around to delinking my other sites from them. Someone is in for a shockingly fast PR drop when I get around to it!!

Remember that Google's backlinks don't tell the whole story. There are likely a lot more than G is admitting to. G's backlink-checker is about the sparsest tool out there; usually Yahoo shows a lot more of the backlinks, and then there's Alexa's link check, which seems to love to show all the little PR1 links that aim at a site (but ignores the quality ones).

And it is not a godaddy domain..
    According to the whois, godaddy *is* the registrar that was used (even though they're not the owner of the name). IMO the "this page parked free at GoDaddy" is probably the truth.

wow it took me about 2 - 3yrs to get my PR5 to stick, so now i'm wondering if goggle just gave out PR5 at a clearance sell or what.

http and a telephoto
    I have pr5 sites that have no alexa rankings.... that is not an indicator. They are not parked pages though
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    Nepotism at Google?
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe

UMATAX . COM

Alexa Traffic Details. No history for the last 2 yrs
    I have to take back my previous speculations that old links were going to it.

After a recent thread in which people reported good results selling domains on Sedo, I decided to put one of my never-developed domains, MapleGoodness, on it.

Just for kicks, I ran their domain analyzer on it, and it says PR4! So I checked with the G toolbar--sure enough, G's reporting PR4 for it.

Thing is, I've never developed the site. I've had it kicking around for years, but don't remember linking to it, and I never put anything on it. The dom-analyzer showed none of the top 3 engines as having backlinks recorded for it--and since there hasn't been a site on it since I bought it (at least 5 years ago IIRC), I think that's accurate in my case.

I think I pointed the DNS at my server (before I switched it to Sedo Parking today), but all that would have done is make the generic no-site page come up (it says something like, "no site has been set up for this domain"). Not exactly compelling material to link to!

So, is Goofle crazy or what? I don't think Sedo could do a PR magic trick and have it show up that fast...it's only been pointed at them for about 6 hours at the time of this writing!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Looks like GoDaddy's owner is just another 2 faced Adwhore pimp operation. While back he wanted to make the ethics and good governance pitch downing the Registrars and hosting operations for domain Kiting and the "made for Adsence" click trap parking routine on some bloggs and forums. Even spelled out how some registrars were in cahoots with the Zombie Click BOT cheats siphoning of millions from Google and yahoo advertisers monthly. Less then 2 weeks later when the buzz died down the 2 faced GoGreedy wank caved into a deal sweetener from the Google parked domain crew.

Sedo, and a pile of others, must have tagged their participation to some guarantees of a certain house account PR rank for parked domains on day one. Hope those suing Google pick up on this as millions of Google bar look for color on the PR bar, and some pull down the blue "i" next to it and look for similar sites... up comes http://www.sawitonthetube.com/ and both have this parked sites content in the "cached view of page" link in the "i" pull down.

Goofle has some serious youth (immature) driven and greed blinding problems within their multi-millionaire management. 100% limo liberals at the helm, drunk on power and flush with cash. At least the worker bees there are nice and helpful.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Sedo, and a pile of others, must have tagged their participation to some guarantees of a certain house account PR rank for parked domains on day one.
    That sounds as plausible as anything, considering that MapleGoodness hadn't had any development at all.

*checks the cache, since you mentioned it*
    WTF that is some weird stuff with the cache, when accessed through the toolbar! I see that it's actually redirecting my cache check from MG over to SawIt's cache. It even says it's the cache of SawIt in that info frame that G puts on top of the cached versions!

So much for G trying to have a "clean" index and all that crap. Looks like they're in the business of spamming themselves. I never expected Maple to get an instant PR4, in fact I'm surprised it was indexed at all, considering that there's been nothing on it but that default page until now.

Interestingly,
    When I use Firefox, which I don't have the G-bar on, and go directly through Google's site (searching for "www.maplegoodness.com"), the cache shows what was really on MG. Just the default page. And an ABW thread from 2001.

up comes http://www.sawitonthetube.com/ and both have this parked sites content in the "cached view of page" link in the "i" pull down.
    SawItOnTheTube! Dammit!

Now there's one I'm practically kicking myself for letting expire!!! Now some Hong Kong place is making the money, and I get el zippo...and to add insult to injury, within a couple of weeks Ron Popiel of TV ad-dom goes and opens a program. If I knew he was coming in, I'd have kept that thing!

After I read that Sedo thread with people saying they'd sold domains for 100s of dollars, I really started missing the ones I'd not renewed. This year I let a bunch of niche ones expire. The registrar had kept a few in my name for a while, but let 'em go as soon as it became apparent I hadn't just forgotten...AFAIK none of the ones I let expire show my info anymore.

A friend let a site fade away a couple years ago. Oddly, the domain reverted to whatever his host used when DNS was still pointing, but no site existed and the domain picked up the host's PR7! I let him know he had a PR7 domain and he quickly put his site back up. It kept that PR for a couple months before dropping down a few.

Maybe somebody is taking advantage of a similar phenomenon.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

But I'M the host for all my domains (dedicated server), except those I stuck on Sedo today.
    Maybe somebody is taking advantage of a similar phenomena.
    I just checked another unused domain of mine that has the server default page and no links. PR0, as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    But I'M the host for all my domains (dedicated server), except those I stuck on Sedo today.
    Maybe I'll have to shift a couple parked domains to Sedo as well.

Really I was trying to answer the initial post in the thread, but maybe it applies. In my friend's case it was just some crappy hosting account that put up a "coming soon" message on his domain when he stopped using the account. After a bit the coming soon page had PR7, same as the host's homepage. Perhaps Sedo has similar PR bleed to parked domains through shared IPs or some such...?
    Eathan Mertz

In my friend's case it was just some crappy hosting account that put up a "coming soon" message on his domain when he stopped using the account. After a bit the coming soon page had PR7, same as the host's homepage.
    That's an interesting phenomenon, because it seems to give lie to Goofle's claim that PR is calculated on a per-page basis.

But now that I think of it, I also remember something about G "guessing" the PR of a page it hasn't actually done the calculations on. So maybe the guess-PR only stays until they get around to actually running the numbers on these domains.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    But now that I think of it, I also remember something about G "guessing" the PR of a page it hasn't actually done the calculations on. So maybe the guess-PR only stays until they get around to actually running the numbers on these domains.
    Interesting. It could be something along those lines, the guess being loosely based on who the IP resolves to or some such. I'm not sure if he ever got a boost in ranking from it, but like someone mentioned, that wouldn't matter if you wanted to sell the domain.
    Eathan Mertz

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread