Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    Affiliate Defined Sub-Tracking
    On the Activity Details view for transactions, I notice there's an Affiliate Defined Sub-Tracking: area, so far being blank for all my transactions. Is this where the text will show up that I can put in my affiliate links right after the "&afftrack=" part of the URL? And what is the "&urllink=" part of the affiliate URL to be used for?

Any limit on number of characters I can use in these two attributes? Presumably I should not use spaces in them, and opt to use an underscore character between words instead if I want to make the tracking code sort of more readable? Also, is this user-entered text following the "=" sign, of these attributes (not sure if I'm using the right terminology here) case-sensitive? I'll probably just stick to lower case, but I'm curious.

Thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    After you login, you can click on the Help Topics and it will go thru it:

Using Affiliate Defined Tracking

You can use the afftrack= portion of your link code to include affiliate defined tracking strings. Enter your tracking variable immediately after the afftrack= portion of your link code. This tracking variable will be echoed back to you in the Activity Details Report. The tracking string must be alphanumeric, and can not contain any spaces or special characters. There is a 255 character limit. If you are using the "Shortest Code Available", Email Links or Product Links, you may need to add the afftrack= wording to your link code.

A sample link would look like this:

http :// www. shareasale.com/r.cfm?B=70&U=XXXX&M=47

Where the XXXX is replaced with your Affiliate ID number.

You can add the afftrack= parameter to this code along with your tracking string. The tracking string must be alphanumeric, and can not contain any spaces or special characters. If your tracking string is "123ABC", then your new link would look like this:

http :// www. shareasale.com/r.cfm?B=70&U=XXXX&M=47&afftrack=123ABC The afftrack= parameter may already be in your link - be sure to use the existing one and not to add an additional one.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    the sas help files have more info, but i recall that afftrack can be 255 alpha-num chars - plenty! case will pass through and be retained. use the download csv to see it once you add one. since they have live tracking, grab your link, type in an afftrack in your browser, whack it, see it.

urllink is for pointing to any page on the merchant's site you want to land on - you're not limited to what the AM/OPM has entered into the standard available links section inside sas.

Coool. Thanks guys. I think I may refrain from using the "_" character since it says no special characters should be used. Finally an easy way to figure out where my converting traffic is coming from. I don't see an attribute on the transactions detail of CJ sales that shows this user-defined string. But maybe it's because I haven't used any. This will really help.

Still on the subject of the afftrack= part of the link code. I couldn't find this in the help files so I'll ask here: is the afftrack= string populated into the visitor's cookie? i.e., if Joe Customer goes through my affiliate link, doesn't buy right away, comes back days later (but still within the valid cookie time period obviously), but this time doesn't go through my landing page/affiliate link and instead types in www.merchantsite.com directly into their browser and buys then, will my afftrack=boogedyboogedyorama string still show for that SAS sale transaction?

I haven't looked to see if it's physically stored in the cookie, but YES--the afftrack= string will show up even if it's a return visit. Instead of storing the affiliate ID, creative ID, afftrack=, etc. in the cookie, I wouldn't be surprised if they just store a click ID and keep track of the details for that click on the server.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread