Question LinkAdage Good or Bad?
    I saw the site linkadage where you could buy x amount of links for x amount of dollars per month, claiming they would be on pr5+ sites. Is this a bad thing to get into?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate
    I saw the site linkadage where you could buy x amount of links for x amount of dollars per month, claiming they would be on pr5+ sites. Is this a bad thing to get into?
    The consensus here seems to be that "buying links" is generally not going to be successful -- probably not in the short-term, and definitely not in the long-term.

When the "pr5" sites add yours and other paid links, they will almost certainly lose the pr5 status. Thus, any effect is likely to be very temporary, and it is remotely possible that such efforts to manipulate pagerank may trigger some penalty from Google, at some time.

I pay for links if I think they will generate relevant traffic and product sales, period. (In fact, for the QuoteProducts site, we have not paid for any links, other than through our affiliate program.) I do not pay for (or exchange) links "on speculation" or to build pagerank or link popularity. I only seek links from sites that are "relevant" (with related or complementary themes to mine).

If you do pursue this: Ask for references, and research them thoroughly; have a specific list of questions to ask those references, don't rely on a boilerplate 'letter of recommendation.' Ask for a list of sites where your ad would appear if you pay -- they propbably won't give it to you because you'll see how dreadful and irrelevant those sites are, or they will give you a list "as an example only" and after you pay, you'll find that your links were placed on completely different (and less desirable) sites.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Mainly use your common sense. It can work, or it can eat your money, depending. And, to have any effect, it may take buying a lot of links, which can get expensive fast, and keeping them online, which means it'd be an ongoing expense.

If the place your link would end up on is blatantly saying it's got links for sale, that's also telling G the same information (it'd be easy to set up an algo to look for the text "buy a link" or the like). And if LinkAdage tells what sites they sell links on, that's another dead giveaway. G is reported to not pass the PR on from sites *that they know* sell links.

But when which sites are actually selling is a secret, that's another layer of protection against algoized detection.

(Checks LinkAdage. It IS possible to see which sites are involved in advance. This is bad: If I can see, Google can see, too. G may have to send someone to manually look [if LA's using some unspiderable method to show the info], but LA is a well-known link seller so G just may bother!)

I'd shy away from LinkAdage for the above reason. You want the links to look like they appeared there out of pukey social cliqueism, not because you're generous. Remember that G is living out its fantasy of being a social trendsetter in total disregard for how things work in the real world (or how sucks it was when they were just a couple of friendless geeks, as they likely were...you'd think they, of all people, would know better than to base anything on social popularity!!).

Anyway let G dream on. You need to find a place that doesn't blab that links on X site are for sale. Your links should mysteriously appear at sites which don't seem to be selling.

Keep in mind that if a site is willing to sell links...chances are that particular site doesn't have a helluva lot to lose if you get my drift. It may not be a *bad* site, per se, but that doesn't mean that G is ranking it anywhere. Or it may be a c*ntent site that doesn't convert much. Otherwise they'd be selling stuff, not links, and wouldn't want any leaks. Or, if they're into ad sales, I'd think they'd go for CPM if they had a lot of imps to offer.

But that doesn't mean their links are no good. It mainly points up the fact that getting a good PR and getting a site to *rank* in a findable spot are actually seperate skills. The links-in are like fuel--you need fuel to power the machine, but that's not *all* you need to get the proper result.

These guys at ReceiveLinks have been getting a lot of splash over at DigitalPoint. I signed up because they were giving away 500 points and everybody was getting on board. That is as far as I've gotten and haven't had time to figure it out or try it. I'm a little afraid to envolve a site that I care about, but it may be a good thing. It's supposed to be free.

Here is the thread over at DP.

I'm a little afraid to envolve a site that I care about,
    I think the best test would be to use a newly developed site. That way there aren't a bunch of other variables getting in the way of knowing just what's doing what. And, if it bombs with The Algo, you haven't tanked your "real" site(s). Plus, if it works, you then have another producing site!

So you think the good old just ask for reciprocal links is still a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate
    That's what I would do.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

You assume I ever thought they were a "good thing." I've done some, but I never really considered them as "good." More like, something I've occasionally put up with doing, and I've never had the patience to go and accumulate masses of recips like some people have done.

As for effectivenness, it may work, but I've also read that recips don't count for much anymore because they're not "one way" and G is reported to like one-way links best.

But I've never liked exchanges, even when they were considered a Great Thing by some, for several reasons--including (in no particular order):

1. Big merchant sites don't have a links page (there may be some flukey exception just waiting to pop up if I say it "never ever" happens, but...). And they typically outrank everything else. So that's a big disproof of the link-exchange idea, to me. If it was such a grand idea all the giants would do it.
    2. The highest-ranked non-news sites I see usually keep their nonpaid outgoing links to a minimum, with the exception of certain genres of content sites.
    3. It looks newbish to have a links page.
    4. Getting enough recips to do any good is an all-around PITA
    5. High-PR sites don't want to recip with low-PR sites, which pretty much negates the whole point. What's the benefit in simply reinforcing, say, a PR2, with more PR2 links?!
    6. Recips leave your site full of leaks, which isn't good if your money is made by people going to your merchants or through other paying links.
    7. The other site (the link partner site) may die, change into something else, or just plain delete your link--so you have to keep babysitting your links page.
    8. Exchange requests have a frustratingly low conversion ratio. If you email, you have to customize the emails or it looks like spam (imagine spending hours and hours customizing 100s of emails if you really want to make a campaign of it! Lousy ROI on your time.). And if you try to avoid the email route and use a link-exchange service type site, you'll probably find yourself awash in new, PRless, sites. Fine if you also have a new, PRless, site, but not worth much for getting to Level 2.

I'd do a return-on-investment calculation and go from there. Personally I think even PPC beats doing a link-exchange campaign, and is a lot easier on the stomach acid, but YMMV.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread