Does anyone have any advice for someone looking to get into the price comparison mark
    I have been looking around and I want to start a price comparison site, but narrow it down so it is more concentrated on certain items. I've looked at price tapestry's script and Kaon Softwares script and getting one made.

Does anyone have any experience for any of these options?

$450 is a lot of money, but I guess if it's good and all your sites can use it, the $450 might be worth the money (kaon). The other one is cheaper. Maybe you could try it.

Or maybe you could roll your own.

Do you have any experience with price comparison websites and using affiliations with it?

ABW Ambassador
    What are you going to different than every other comparison site out there? How are you going to set yourself apart of have you found a way to get traffic?

You're on the right track if you're thinking "niche". Find a niche that the general price comparison sites just doesn't do a good job with, and focus there.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I really appreciate everyone for supporting me in this, everyone else thinks I'm wasting my time and money. I'm not dumb I've been doing a lot of research and have not rushed things, but it seems that a majority of people now a day's just don't have the drive and will to start their own company. Everyone is like just work a 9-5 job, but I'd rather work for myself.

I was wondering what kind of return I could expect? I know it various but what is a good average to aim for as a beginner? I also know I could see nothing for a while I know I have to market and drive traffic but I am just curious about the estimated beginners earnings

ABW Ambassador
    There's no way to estimate that. Depends on how good a site you have, how targetted your traffic is, how much traffic you can get, endless things that can influence that.

O well I guess I will just have to see for myself.

So does anyone have any experience with any of the mentioned price comparison scripts? price tapestry's script, Kaon Softwares script or custom made one?

If you are planning to start a price comparison that focuses on the whole market, then don't.

What you need o do is create a price comparison for a niche market. otherwise you are competing with a million of other people that have a large budget.

If you are new to affiliate marketing, find a niche then do your price comparison on that niche.

I first started in the coupon business, and at 1 time i was making 10,000+ a month, however things are changed now and now making penny's on the dollar.

The best advice i can give you is focus on a niche market.

Thanks netnow22, That was my idea since the beginnning. I knew I could not compete with pricegrabber, streetprices, etc. I have about 3 or 4 common niches that I plan on focusing on and perfecting.

Thanks for all the help! Now I just need someone that has had experience with either: price tapestry's script, Kaon Softwares script or a custom made one?

So I can know which way is the best way to go

http and a telephoto
    Which software will work for you will depend on your needs. I don't have price comparison sites, so no experience with those software packages, however I do know that software that works well for one person can suck for another person. It depends on what you want, how you want to do it and how your server and sites are configured.

So the answer is not what you are looking for unfortunately, the answer is you need to compare what is available ready made with what you want to accomplish and see if maybe you need to have something custom made instead.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks loxly, I'll have to look more into servers. While you bring up servers, Does anyone know of a good hosting company to go with?

I really don't want to spend over $20 a month right now. It has been a major headache to find one. The main reason is I don't know how much bandwidth and disk space I will need; as well as how many MySQL databases I need!!

Does anyone have any suggestions? Starting out what amount of bandwidth and disk space will be efficient? How many MYSQL databases minimal should I go with? I plan on using PHP 5 and MySQL 4 (the newest version)

If you had no datafeeds and had to do everything by hand, could you do it and build a site? That might help you assess your needs.

Why would you build a price comparison site without datafeeds?

That sounds like trying to write an article without using words.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

My point was does he/she have experience building a site without datafeeds. If he has no experience with any kind of building then he needs to start somewhere else than grabbing a $450 script and building a website, imho. He/she needs more experience. The person may be a web developer guru, who knows...My question was to ascertain an experience level because it sounds like the OP has only limited experience. no offense, OP.

It is possible to build a price comparison site without a datafeed. If it were a small enough niche it could be done by hand.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread