Question No Affiliate Links on website, good?
    If I have an affiliate site with no affiliate links (not redirects either, but it gets them there) on that site, is that a good thing? Does it matter with all the talk of Google hating affiliates?

ABW Ambassador
    How do you have an affiliate site with no affiliate links? If your site is bad, it's bad, whether there are affiliate links or not. I think they do prefer merchants over affiliates in instances such as products but sites with affiliate links can still rank well, no shortage of them in Google.

I should say no affiliate links on the page and none that can be spidered or followed on a redirect (it has no redirects). If a human examined it then they would know it was an affiliate link, but it would have to be a person.

Google does not give a damn about whether a page has affiliate links on it.

So if you don't have affiliate links or redirects, how do you get them there? Surely you're not cookie stuffing...

Google doesn't hate affiliates. They hate duplicate content. But there's enough overlap between affiliates and duplicate content that many assume it's affiliates that Google hates.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

no. no cookie stuffing. nothing bad like that.

Maybe using javascript to hide the link?

i've read some articles that say G can or will be able to follow javascript links. Also have read that they even index plain text links! (no hyperlink). At the least they can pick out the affilite link from the source code even if they don't follow it.

ip cloaking? I echo what others have said especially the part about dupe content. Links links and more quality links in - that is the biggest thing Google likes and the hardest part of the equation .
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Well I can say this, a couple of years ago i made all my affiliate links javascript, which supposedly search engines can't follow?! I thought my page rank would go up becuase i have an affiliate site and no outbound links.

However Google is now spidering javascript links and the other search engines are soon to follow.

The most popular programiing language is current'y asp.net (according to microsoft), which is primarly built on javascript. So you can expect all the search engine to follow these kind of links

ABW Ambassador
    The affiliate links can be on pages linked to with rel="nofollow" and noindex,nofollow in the robots meta tag on those pages.

I've had Googlebot fetch a Goldencan link/URL from within the JS. They can, but doubt they'd want to expend the resources it would take to start dealing with JS as a steady diet.

Sorry, wasn't trying to be really "secret." I didn't come up with the idea, but saw it on another's site (nothing copywritten). I just want to save the details because I am thinking of starting a blog that covers technical aspects of building sites for affiliates. Not that any of my sites are what I'd call successful, but they work and each one gets better. Some might enjoy what I have to say and some might write back correcting me. Either way, it's good for everyone. Thanks.

I was thinking about this. Is this link cloaking? It's a redirect approach, but not as easy a redirect to follow.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    johnny, check your PM

And to jump on your point, if you do not have any affiliate link on a website, how are you going to earn your $$?
    Where is the traffic going to go and how are you going to gain some PR?

ABW Ambassador
    And to jump on your point, if you do not have any affiliate link on a website, how are you going to earn your $?
    Where is the traffic going to go and how are you going to gain some PR?
    I think what Johnny is getting at is that "technically" there are affiliate links, but they just don't look like they are. Instead, they look like a link to a page on the same site (can be via a CGI script) that are redirected through that "page" on the site and then go to the merchant's site as intended with the original affiliate link prior to it being obfuscated by laundering it with a redirection script.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    I think what Johnny is getting at is that "technically" there are affiliate links, but they just don't look like they are. Instead, they look like a link to a page on the same site (can be via a CGI script) that are redirected through that "page" on the site and then go to the merchant's site as intended with the original affiliate link prior to it being obfuscated by laundering it with a redirection script.
    I don't believe it's against any rules is it? To do things like that. (I hope it's not.)

So is it a redirect, or is it not? Your first post said it wasn't, but that sounds like what it is to me.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

What I do is simple. robots.txt:-

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /scripts/

And then link out to all my affiliates and any other links I do not want to be followed by bots who respect robots.txt using /scripts/redirect.php?linkid=xxx

With this method you also get an easy opportunity to track clicks out yourself.

As to whether or not it's a good idea to mask linking, I would say that as long as you link out to good resources then Google etc. will be happy. They don't need to know about every link out though do they

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread