Scriptlance (and others like it ) Pros/Cons?
    I've finally come to the realization that there are some things I am just not capable of doing myself. I bought some software many here speak very highly of and could not figure it out. Luckily the company took pity on me and refunded a nice amount of what I paid. So, I've been looking around and came across a site where programers, designers, etc., bid on work. Have any of you ever used services like this and if so, how was your experience? I found one that looks legit - Scriptlance - anyone know of any others? Thanks.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Rent A Coder: http://rentacoder.com/

They have a good rep. A couple of good feedbacks from friends who used them awhile back were satisfied. Seems they have a lot of ways to make sure everyone is happy.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

I've used rentacoder (affectionately known by many as RAC) and have had 100% wonderful experiences!

The advantages are that you can get work done at a fraction of the cost of what it'd normally cost and without overheads like actually running the offices for a team of coders.

I've used it for graphics, medium custom PHP/javascript projects, very small adjustments and even outsourcing a server administrator. I believe there are over 140,000 registered coders, from all parts of the world. In fact, I'm also a coder myself (SEO)!

There are disadvantages though - the language barrier is the obvious one, but there are some timewasters and bad coders. Coders generally require plenty of guidance, so be specific in what you want. They're also well motivated by bonuses and repeat business.

The bad coders aren't hard to avoid. Ask a question in your bid request, or even ask for a sample/mockup and the best coders will reply clearly and concisely - and have good feedback. Depending on the project, you can expect to get 10+ bids overnight. Often, 60-70% of these are useless, but there are some gems out there.

One last thing - be very, very careful when specifying a bid request. Nail down every single requirement on your original bid request, and make sure they indicate that they understand perfectly. Also, remember to leave communication onsite for arbitration purposes.

Hope this has helped, and convinced some to try outsourcing, as it's often a fantastic solution. Oh, and if anyone wants the IDs of some of the great (i.e. highly motivated and full of initiative) coders I've hired recently, drop me a PM.

Good luck

ive used rentacoder, scriptlance and elance

elance is costly but good chance you will find top notch programmers

rentacoder is full of people from pakistand and the middle east who barely know a word of english.. it has its ups and downs.. i still use it but less now days.. i dont like the rentacoder staff they are con merchants..

scriptlance have outsourced 2 jobs.. 1 went bad.. 1 was excellent

with all outsourcing make sure you spell everything out.. get them to sign agreement forms.. dont ever ever every pay them the full amount of 50% upfront.. always only ever do 30% upfront or nothing at all.. has saved me TONS of money that way from being ripped off..

Never rush in.. fully ask them questions... as i tell you the truth.. there are people out there who have no clue

Excellent advice. Thanks!
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Now I just need to figure out how to explain datafeed in a bid.
    Last edited by leeann; October 31st, 2006 at 12:48 PM.
    leeann

try using camtasia thats what i have done before to show them, or screenshots

Leeann, What is it that you need done? If you don't want to post here, shoot me an email or a pm. Maybe I can help you.

Chris
    Recycled Talent - Architects of custom scripts and snippets, perfectly written to suit any need. We stay on top of the latest technology so you don't have to.
    Total Stupidity - Shining light on stupid things.

Quote Originally Posted by shopolic
    dont ever ever every pay them the full amount of 50% upfront.. always only ever do 30% upfront or nothing at all..
    No! Don't ever do any cash upfront! Ever! There's absolutely no guarantee they'll deliver, and if it's not against scriptlance's policy (it certainly is against RAC's), then they are the people to watch out for.

The whole point of the safe escrow system is to stop this happening. If you follow the rules and do it how it's meant to be done, all will go fine on RAC.

I've used RAC both as buyer and programmer, highly recommended.

Just make sure you review each person bidding before hiring them. As a buyer I usually pick 3-5 people based on their offer/reviews/portfolio then contact and talk to each of them asking around some details etc then make my decision based on their replies. For example if you have to wait 3 days for someone to reply then it's usually a bad sign.
    [URL=http://www.hesk.com]Help desk software[/URL]

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread