Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connection Upgrade Question[s]
    I've been on Dial-UP for 10 years with the "same" company (now owned by EarthLink) and I pay $21.95 per month for the Dial-Up, 8 e-mail boxes (I only use two of the eight) and 10 MB of webspace.

I think being an affiliate would be easier for me if I had a faster connection to the Internet -- I'm just not sure which to pick and how to find the best value for my money.

I've been debating whether I should upgrade to either DSL or Cable (I also have a limited budget to devote to an Internet connection).

Earthlink (my current Dial-Up provider) recently sent me literature saying that I could upgrade to DSL for $14.95 a month for 6 months but when I went to their website, I was switched to this deal:

EarthLink DSL (Available)

* Downstream speed of up to 6.0 Mbps
    * $19.95/month for the first 3 months
    * Monthly Charge: $ 39.95/month thereafter
    * Up to 4 times faster than regular DSL! (regular DSL = 1.5 Mbps)

Not only that, but I read that I would have to have one of their technicians to come to my place to install the DSL (an additional charge of $100).

I see this as a classic bait-and-switch.

Any opinions? Do you think this is a good deal or are there better deals available and where could I find a better deal?

Verizon (I live near the telephone company) has a DSL Starter Package $14.95 for 12 months with a modem at no additional charge (what do they mean by that?) there's a line that says: Three installation steps
    Connection with speeds up to 768 Kbps

Verizon has another deal at $29.99 per month for 12 months including free wireless networking with Connection speeds up to 3.0 Mbps

Which is the better deal?

All Verizon DSL packages include:
    * Choice of Verizon Yahoo! or MSN Premium -- does anyone know what is meant by this?
    * 24/7 live technical support
    * 10 MB of personal Web space
    * 30-day money-back guarantee
    * 9 e-mail accounts
    * Self-install kit -- how difficult is it to self-install?

Should I get Cable or DSL? I took a look at Optimum Online, their offer is: $29.95/month for the first 6 months when you install it yourself* (I'm afraid of "install it yourself deals -- what exactly do I need to install?) Optimum Online Boost is an additional $14.95/month (I'm nost sure what that is). Optimum is not upfront about how much the monthly fee will be after the first 6 months.
    Is there anything else I should keep in mind when selecting a high speed Internet service?

Does anyone else still use Dial-Up?

Thanks in advance.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

http and a telephoto
    I used Roadrunner when I lived in your area and loved it. I will never use DSL, only cable.

As far as the pricing, it is common for all ISP's these days to offer lower rates for the first 3 months and then increase it. Sometimes you can get the deal for 6 months or longer, but not usually.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I used Roadrunner when I lived in your area and loved it. I will never use DSL, only cable.
    Is there a specific reason why you "will never use DSL, only cable?"

Thanks for the RoadRunner tip; if I choose cable, I would probably go with Optimum since they "control" my television service

Do any of the plans mentioned sound good for the price to anyone?
    Last edited by Rhia7; October 28th, 2006 at 11:34 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

http and a telephoto
    Yes. dsl is still a phone line with phone line problems. Cable is cable, much more reliable, and faster. In my experience.... others may be different.
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Earthlink (my current Dial-Up provider) recently sent me literature saying that I could upgrade to DSL for $14.95 a month for 6 months but when I went to their website...
    You'll need to call the number on the mailer to get that special deal. It's a promotional offer, that's why it doesn't appear on their website.

The "technician" is the phone company and I never had to pay for them to set it up. I got my modem in the mail from them and hooked it up using their instructions. Worked fine as soon as the phone company set me up for DSL.

As for not being able to afford it, you do know that you can claim your Internet access on your taxes?
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy
    You'll need to call the number on the mailer to get that special deal. It's a promotional offer, that's why it doesn't appear on their website.

The "technician" is the phone company and I never had to pay for them to set it up. I got my modem in the mail from them and hooked it up using their instructions. Worked fine as soon as the phone company set me up for DSL.

As for not being able to afford it, you do know that you can claim your Internet access on your taxes?
    No, I didn't know that and thank you for your tips.

As for the promotional offer, there was a slot online to type in the number (which I did) but there's a big difference between "$19.95/month for the first 3 months" and "$14.95 a month for the first 6 months." The brochure said that I could visit a web page for their offer but I paused after what happened and started to think of other possibilities.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    "Should I get Cable or DSL?"

Cable.

Someone in my family (who isn't as familiar with the Internet as I am) is encouraging me to go for Verizon (based upon the fact that someone this family member knows has just signed with Verizon).

Someone else suggested that paying $21.95 per month for dial-up is a big rip-off...and here I am not sure what to do
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

http and a telephoto
    Oh yeah, 21.95 a month for dialup is a total rip off.
    Deborah Carney

but there's a big difference between "$19.95/month for the first 3 months" and "$14.95 a month for the first 6 months."
    Yeah, the difference is about 16 cents a day

Cable certainly better than DSL, but DSL better than dialup by miles. When retrieving, cutting & pasting product links and other similar tasks, whatever takes 2 to 3 hours on dialup could be done on DSL or cable in 1/2 hour or less.

The Verizon deal sounds better than the other one. I used them for a few months and had no problems.

"Self Install" is a guided operation where you just check off prefences and stuff, the software guides you through the process. Takes maybe 5 minutes.

I didn't know dialup even existed any more???

ABW Ambassador
    I've paid $14.95 a month for DSL (with 10 extra sub-accounts which include email and ability to connect) as far back as I can remember, and it's flawless. The catch is that I have to commit for a year to get the deal (I recommit once a year for whichever deal they've got running online and they match it) and have to take a couple extra features with my phone service, like call waiting and Caller ID which I'd have anyway.

It was originally Prodigy so I got 15 meg of web space for each sub-account plus the primary, then SBC/Yahoo took over and now AT&T bought SBC out.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Cable for me. When I got rid of the di*l-up, I looked at DSL, Satellite, and Cable. While they all offered substantially faster download speeds, I saw that the non-cable options all had slow UPload speeds--some were as slow for uploading as dialup!

The UPload speed is very important (they don't tout it much, even when they have good up-speed, because the average Joe isn't uploading lots of stuff, I think)--for a large feed site update, it was taking 4 hours to upload it to the server at dialup speeds. And that's as a zip file! And even though I've switched that particular site to PHP, there's still plenty of decently large files to upload to other sites (I'd guess 1 hour wait time for those at dialup speeds). So any service that doesn't have fast upload speeds is junk to me, no matter how fast it can do downloads.

With cable, it takes between 1 and 3 minutes to send up a large merchant's worth of feed pages as a zip file.

As a side-note, I signed up for cable at about 3:30 AM, after a series of events so aggravating that it was down to either throwing things or calling Comcast: I had spent 4 hours waiting for a single zip file to upload...then the MSN dialup hung up on me just before it was completed. THEN I tried to upload it again, wasted another 4 hours...and then it hung up on me AGAIN! Before it was completed!!!

I wouldn't pay 2c for anything with slow upload speeds again. NONE of them seem to be able to have as fast of upload as they do download, but cable here is way faster than DSL on the up, and way, way faster than satellite was offering. Cable's also blazin' on the download.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    then SBC/Yahoo took over and now AT&T bought SBC out.

Just a little aside here...................I know that it is not real important, but I think that you will find that SBC bought out AT&T then assumed the AT&T name.

I agree that cable is the most efficient.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Oh yeah, 21.95 a month for dialup is a total rip off.
    Yes it sure is, especially when earthlink and peoplepc will work deals to keep you from leaving them.

I have used earthlink dialup since Nov 04, I used to have DSL but moved to a NON DSL and Cable locateion lol

I pay $9.95 a month thru earthlink promos (6 to 12 mths at 1/2 price). When they run out, I call and ask them to cancel my account. Guess what, I get a new promo deal
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/rowdyjrt]Rowdy Jack Russell Terrier[/URL]

Rhia7
    I had aol dial-up til a few weeks ago when I go the dsl. Can't afford the cable. Don't want to contradict anybody here or anything about the cable. But..think one factor you have to consider is how reliable is your cable provider in the area where you live and how is the phone.

As for the speed from everything I've heard...cable is a whole lot faster than the dsl. You have to have realistic expectations though going from aol to dsl. It defnitely is a whole lot faster, especially for things like the product tool at SAS. Dial-up would take forever to get to see the images of the products, dsl will show them pretty quickly. Sooooo definitely a big advantage there. Going from dial-up to dsl though is not gonna be like everything happens in a second or anything, though. You still have a little time to wait for things but waaaaaay better than dial-up used to be.

In regards to what I said about how reliable is your cable. Where I live, we have our cable go out pretty frequently. Really doesn't take much at all and when it does go out it can stay out for several hours at a time. We hardly ever have an outage with our phone. So...that was a big factor for me. I may have been able to try to spend the extra for the cable, but I would be losing it a lot too....so the dsl made more sense. So, before you do anything think about how reliable your cable is in the area you live.

Too - if anybody has aol for their dial-up you can still really keep your email and other features all for free.

Whichever you decide....you'll definitely be able to get it for a lot cheaper then what you're paying for dial-up now. You probably will have to sign up for a year at a time.

if you live in a larger US city you may hear hints of FIOS coming to your area. This is basically fiber to your street, then to the side of your house. much faster than cable and the cable companies in our area have been un-throttling their systems for competitive reasons.

but I think one should look to a complete package for the cost they're going to end up with. cable digital TV, digital phone (and unlimited calls in USA) and ISP service on one bill from the major cable companies around here is fairly competitive, although there may be an equivalent in the future from, say, verizon.

I don't worry about TV at all, so I have normal phone service and DSL. It works for me very well. The phone line comes into the house at which point I connect the special modem and the phone connection passes through a little filter to the phone. I connect the modem to a simple $15 router that acts as a firewall and provides ports to which I plug in more LAN cable. (I don't worry about wireless connections as I can make network cables in my sleep) The firewall function stops a lot of baddies from entering the house network. (this should be done no matter how you acquire a high speed connection)

if you buy into the verizon deal, make sure you read the propaganda that comes with your bill. sometimes there is information there that pertains to your service. Also, if you are contemplating DSL make sure you live fairly close to the phone company's service building as once you go over, say, 2 miles the speed starts to really suffer.

and I don't miss dialup at all: I used to tie up my phone line overnight just to put new updates on my [open source] internal server.

Land line with DSL and next week TV over that same phone line.
    No more cable. On the downside I do like those peak speeds on cable. On the plus side, no more dealing with the cable company and one bill for tv, telephone and DSL.
    I'm a bit of a bleeding edge kind of guy so I am jumping in with this brand new service (tv) from the telco but if it doesn't work out, I can always go back to cable.

edited ... the thought of going back to dial up makes me twitch. Don't even know how long it's been since I had that.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    if you live in a larger US city you may hear hints of FIOS coming to your area. This is basically fiber to your street, then to the side of your house. much faster than cable and the cable companies in our area have been un-throttling their systems for competitive reasons.
    Verizon said something about FIOS in its literature but when I went to the site for info, the site said FIOS was not yet available in my area.

I live in a big, congested city
    I'd be surprised if a phone line couldn't make it to my apartment.
    I asked somewhere else, What does "Choice of Verizon Yahoo! or MSN Premium" (with the DSL package) mean, and I got this funny answer:
    MSN Premium = browser for newbies. It's internet explorer with a shiny interface giving you acces to email, web, favorites and other crap ... absolutely not worth it unless you're an old lady that barely knows how to turn on her computer
    The plus with Verizon is that I live near Verizon. I'll have to ask Earthlink how close their NY deal would be to me.

The whole deal boils down to the speed/price ratio in the long run.

It would be worth a shot to call my present ISP and see if they would do any deals for me (as Crocket mentioned).

Someone else said that the Downstream speed of up to 6.0 Mbps deal being offered by Earthlink is a good deal because that person is currently spending $50+/month for 5Mbps cable.
    Another guy I've known over the Internet for 10 years also thinks the 6.0 Mbps deal being offered by Earthlink is a good deal. In addition, he thinks that I am one of the 4 remaining people he knows of to still cling to dial-up

In terms of cable, someone pointed out to me that with cable you are sharing a connection with all the other cable users in your area, but a DSL is a dedicated connection that is yours and yours only, no shared bandwidth with other local users.

Beyond my ISP, Verizon, and Optimum (a cable company), I'm not sure how to find a good quality (in my area) that would beat the ones I mentioned?

Well, thanks to everyone for the opinions and the advice
    Last edited by Rhia7; October 29th, 2006 at 05:59 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I just dropped Verizon DSL for cable. I was offline with dsl more than I was online. Signed up for the Earthlink deal instead of optimum as it was a little cheaper a month and the same speed.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Cool
    I believe when MSN premium is being mentioned, it is just a go-with bundled with the ISP deal. It was offered with my DSL but I cut off the installation before it could kick in, on purpose.

All I wanted was a pipe to the outside with no extras that were of no use. I had Compuserve too too many years already.

I've been debating whether I should upgrade to either DSL or Cable
    Dial-UP, DSL, Cable, Satellite.......

There is nothing better and faster than ESPC.

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    I just dropped Verizon DSL for cable. I was offline with dsl more than I was online. Signed up for the Earthlink deal instead of optimum as it was a little cheaper a month and the same speed.
    So you dropped Verizon DSL for Cable and then you dropped cable for Earthlink DSL?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Dial-UP, DSL, Cable, Satellite.......

There is nothing better and faster than ESPC.
    Is there a link reference?

I never heard of ESPC. Is it available in the United States? New York where I live?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Cool
    I think he has an extra-sensory PC. some people have all the luck.

If you are in affiliate marketing and you cannot afford to pay $29.95 a month for dsl or cable or some similar faster internet then maybe it is time to find another way to make a living. An extra $15-$20 a month is not that much. It is tax deductible, it will save you alot of time and hopefully then make you more money.
    I am not talking to newbies just starting out, but if you have been doing this a year an not making enough to pay a little more for something other than dialup, time to find a real job.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast