Can anyone recommend a Health Insurance provider?
    I haven't had any medical insurance since my 9-5 days, which was about 3 years ago. Can anyone recommend a descent affordable health "just in case" provider? Are the discount programs I see online worth it? I don't get sick so I really haven't put much thought into looking for coverage.
    Just in case I get theand need some

Check with your local chamber of commerce if you have one. They many times have programs for the self employed to get insurance cheaper thru.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

ABW Ambassador
    State Blue Cross Blue Shield http://www.bcbs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    State Blue Cross Blue Shield http://www.bcbs.com/
    OUCH!

Blue Preferred- Value Blue $1,000 Deductible 30% Copays $171.70/mo.

This was the cheapest plan they offered for me, and the coverage wasn't that great.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Is the appropriate time for a SHAMELESS PLUG?

Seriously though my recommendations are as follows...

Depending on your age, you could go with a high deductible health insurance plan combined with a discount card.

I have health insurance with a $5,000 deductible. I don't have it for when I get the sniffles (as I have right now ). I have it strictly in case I get hit by a car or have a stroke and have $150,000 in medical bills. I can manage $60 a month...not $150,000 all at once.

The discount cards that we deal with are legit. There are some crappy ones out there, but of the 4 I have seen that are legit, all were members of the BBB. The 3 that I know of that were not, are not members of the BBB, so this may be a pretty tell-tale sign.

Hope that helps!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dpl882
    OUCH! Blue Preferred- Value Blue $1,000 Deductible 30% Copays $171.70/mo. This was the cheapest plan they offered for me, and the coverage wasn't that great.
    We insure our employees through Kaiser, which has a minimal co-pay ($15.00 or so) and then covers 100%. If you have Kaiser, you could check into it. If not, Anthem Blue Cross has some competitive plans. The $171.70 per month you found is not bad. My wife and I pay nearly $1,700.00 per month for a $15 co-pay 100% after coverage - so I'd kiss the ground of the carrier if i could get $171 a month!!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

$171.70 isn't high? WOW! I guess I am just thinking of my 9-5 job where I paid, I think it was $20 something per week for good BC/BS coverage.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Your employer probably picked up the other 50%, or perhaps they had a big group and so they had a favorable group policy rate. As a merchant who employs people, we have seen healthcare policy costs rise about 18 - 20% annually. We review policy coverages / rates every quarter to see who had the best coverage at what price.

We cover our employees 100% - but most employers either offer a split or nothing at all. It's just too darned expensive. Comes with the turf when you are a merchant who employs an in house staff.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I pay about $366 per month for my daughter and myself and its one of the cheapest policy's available
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

ABW Ambassador
    I pay a little less than $100 a month for BCBS, I'm single and don't smoke or anything like that and like Matt:

"I don't have it for when I get the sniffles (as I have right now ). I have it strictly in case I get hit by a car or have a stroke and have $150,000 in medical bills. I can manage $60 a month...not $150,000 all at once."

It's mainly for something major.

I forgot that my employer picked up most of the tab. It was really good coverage too. I'm going to search a little more. There is so much out there, but some may not be as well known. I may still have to bite the bullet thought and pay the megabucks.

Heidi, do you find your coverage through your chamber of commerce?

TrustNo1, I didn't find any plans for under $100 on their site. I don't smoke and am in good health. Is it maybe location?

Yes, I got my coverage thru a local chamber of commerce, its far cheaper than what I could get on my own. I had the choice of about 6 different plans from Preferred Care and Blue Cross/Blue Shield
    Heidi

ABW Ambassador
    It could be not sure. It also could be that I picked a very high deductible. It's rare that I get sick and anytime I've went to the hospital it was pretty minor stuff, stitches, drill hole in thumbnail to release blood after getting hand caught in door, ear infection, stuff I don't mind paying cash for. My concern would be what Matt touched on, something that would go into the tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands.

I know I'm very glad I have coverage for the minor and major things - could be an age thing but I have some ions that I'm on for probably the rest of my life, I've had 2 major surgeries in the last 3 years. My daughter is also on multiple ions and even with insurance it costs me over $100/month for them. We all have to wear glasses too and the medical insurance gives us discounts on eyewear and eye doctor visits. All that stuff adds up when you have a family...
    Heidi

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread