Too many hosting sites
    I recently just purchased a domain name with godaddy.com, but I don't want to use their hosting.

I am planning on opening a ecommerce site, but also have a database driven website along with it; as well as a price comparison site. I guess the best language to use is PHP and MYSQL so I will be using that. I have looked at so many web hosting sites that I have become burnt out.

I would like a honest recommendation on some. I believe I will need unlimited or many MYSQL databases if I plan on running a Price comparison site and a database driven site(Recipes). Will I need many?

What is a good amount of diskspace and bandwidth to have?

Also I am in college and this is my first startup business so I have a extremely tight budget; but I don't want something that is so cheap I don't have any great components from the hosting company and I want the site to be reliable, fast, and have great support. I know I'm asking for a lot but this is a extremely competitive market and it is defiantly a consumer driven market.

I'd say the rule of thumb is one database per site. A site can have any number of tables in that database.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

You may want to take a look at bluehost.com. They have several good plans and are very reliable as far as uptime goes and depending on which plan you choose you get as many as 50 MYSQL databases. Hope this helps.

Joey

Can someone explain to me something about MySQL databases? What would I use multiple ones for? Do I have to have a separate database for each data feed?

Quote Originally Posted by Davecore
    Can someone explain to me something about MySQL databases? What would I use multiple ones for? Do I have to have a separate database for each data feed?
    It really depends on how you organize things. The ideal way to do it is to have one database per site. Then inside that database you'll have multiple tables. Some people use a different table for each datafeed, but this is no good. The best way to go is to use a single table for all of your datafeeds. Just make sure you understand that a database contains any number of tables. And a table is like an Excel spreadsheet.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I use iPower for hosting. I freely admit I haven't done a lot of comparison shopping or anything, but they've worked for me for 4 years now...
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

There are also plenty of hosting packages that offer unlimited SQL databases, all reasonably priced.

Multiple databases are helpful for running different scripts within your site. For example a CMS, forum, shopping cart, guestbook, blog, etc... all will run off different databases.

There are MANY hosting companies out there that offer Huge packages with unheard of space, bandwidth, databases and other features. BEWARE......as the old saying goes.....if it sounds too good to be true..... Stick with a host that limits thier allocation but offers a fair price and you will probably experience better results and uptime!

Good Luck!

iPower looks good, do they have a good control panel?

I also like blue host, they offer a lot. I would really like to stay under $10.00 for right now, since I am just starting but I want to be able to upload scripts, data feeds easily, and make my web page interactive.

Again, I don't have hosting at any other company than iPower and I have never used anyone else, but...

Their control panel works. It is easy enough to use and I can do everything I need to do with it. To be honest, I rarely use it though. Most of my communication is done via ftp upload from Dreamweaver or some other web design/programming client.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Affiliate Manager
    I recommend you to chose the host and offers Cpanel. Cpanel is the oldest control panel. It is very powerful and is easy to understand for the newbs. Many hosts have flash tutorials that helps to quickly figure out how to do basic tasks like adding mailboxes, additional domains etc.

And if you want your site to be fast you should spend some time learning how to code it for performance. For example try to avoid using MySQL queries that copy data to temporary table for later processing, scripts that load all the table in memory (it's better to use 'limit' option in mysql queries), etc. Such queries produce a lot of DISK I/O and in worst case may cause server to freeze.

By following the above stated practices you'll have not just fast site but you'll also avoid chances to be suspended for server overload when you site get a burst in visitors (for exampel the site was slashdotted,etc.)

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread