View Poll Results: Network or In-House?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • an in-house program with a higher commission

12 57.14%
  • a program on an established network with a lower commission

9 42.86%
    Question Network or In-House?
    Over 3 years have passed since the time such poll took place at ABW.

Let's run one again - to find out what affiliates feel more comfortable with today. Please vote assuming that all other conditions (conversion, program support, etc) are the same.

Many thanks in advance for your participation.

Geno

Just one vote so far, it would be interesting to see what you guys have to say!

An independant program (with a good affiliate manager, say the few who you trust) or an established network with a lower commission.
    [B][URL=http://ablogfullofgames.blogspot.com/]Blog Games[/URL]
    [URL="http://fractalenlightenment.blogspot.com"][COLOR="Red"]Our Blog[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by clyderose
    Just one vote so far...
    I see four...

G.

ABW Ambassador
    Why is it that some people assume that the independant program will pay more than at SAS?

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    On programs where we are an affiliate, we go through a network on two programs and have an indie arrangement with another merchant. All three work out fine.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

50 50 Right now I hope the affiliate managers are not voting!

Ill use my vote to rig the poll later
    [URL="http://fractalenlightenment.blogspot.com"][COLOR="Red"]Our Blog[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

We are evaluating indy vs. SaS. SaS charges us 20% fees on each payment. For us, independent, we can pay out $20.00; With SaS we would have to pay out $16.50.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ward
    Why is it that some people assume that the independant program will pay more than at SAS?
    Well, the assumption comes from the fact that merchants say this directly; I know that I've mentioned in other ABW discussion threads that we could afford to pay 18% direct commission, but we can only pay 15% through SAS because the other 3% is paid to SAS.

The assumption is that if a merchant offers a direct program, they would pay XX percent commissions, but if they use SAS, the merchant would pay only about 80% of XX percent, because of the 20% fee that SAS charges.

Of course, SAS fees represent payment for a package of services and technologies, which the merchant still must purchase and manage, so it's entirely possible that the merchant's expenses with an "independent" or "direct" program might be higher than at SAS. (Either way, the merchant must budget additional expense for "management" of the affiliate program -- recruiting and working with affiliates, whether that's done in-house or through an outsourced program manager.

For a small merchant, SAS will be cheaper; for a large merchant, the direct program will be cheaper; for a mid-size merchant (or a merchant planning to be "mid-size" soon), the choice is harder.

How about "both"?

For programs where I don't generate a lot of business, I prefer a network like SAS. I get a single direct-deposited, consolidated payment for everything. I can take advantage of some automation (like the Deal & Coupon Database). I have consolidated reporting. I can rest assured that the network is monitoring tracking and payments. If I need to use a datafeed, it's standardized.

For programs where I can send a significant amount of business, I prefer a direct relationship where there's generally more room for negotiation on commissions.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Just check this poll. 50-50....

G.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeWalker
    We are evaluating indy vs. SaS. SaS charges us 20% fees on each payment. For us, independent, we can pay out $20.00; With SaS we would have to pay out $16.50.
    That means you aren't factoring in the costs to run your program inhouse.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Many smaller merchants would use a calculation like this, and it may be okay for some. Very seldomly can programs be run on auto-pilot, but if the merchant is selling a product that affiliates can sell well, most affiliates would probably appreciate that 20% difference in the base commission... But again, as you say, Debbie, it depends...

Geno

both ARE even now!

The race is hot!

Exactly. If he does it himself, I guess, he doesn't mind working for free.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    Exactly. If he does it himself, I guess, he doesn't mind working for free.
    Yep. That's your small businesses flexibility... May compromise the quality of management. But not necessarily... All depends on the passion the task is approached with.

Geno

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    touche Debbie! I actually never even considered that But I am not sure that there are any large costs to running our program, other than a few hours a week writing checks and postage.

I will say that all things considered an indie program is easier to manage. The biggest reason is that all the tools I need to run reports and track fraud, etc. are at my disposal. That being said, in my experiences, SAS has by far been the most accomodating with both "tools" and from a service standpoint.

That being said, we can definitely pay more in-house than through a network...as much as 20% more.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

It depends on the volume we're doing. If it's a small affiliate program for whom we just generate a handful of sales, we prefer them to be on a network. This mades admin easier: one login, one interface, one payment.

If it's a program we make a lot of money from or expect to make a serious amount of money from and the program is run by people we know and trust, we don't mind them being independent as they don't have to may middle-man fees to a network.

ic ic...good example like amazon!

In House program! Leading

only 20 voters? so little people take part!

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread