Ever feel overwhelmed?
    Lately ive been feeling really overwhelmed by doing this affiliate business.

I tried creating sites and blogging and doing that everyday just seems so tedious.. i mean i woudlnt mind if the pay off was good but its not its like hardly anything you get back.

Same with creating sites.. 3 years ago you could create a site and get it ranked pretty quick now that google has made it even harder..

Spending my days creating affiliate sites, seems to be pointless..

im not saying im giving up or that money cant be made as im still making money but just that its got so much more harder,

I mean you can spend hours creating a site, getting backlinks, blogging on the site to find that 7 months down the road google changes everything and boom its no longer ranking or no longer indexed, or has lost its PR... or its not earning more than $2

So it seems it doesnt mattere if you create 50 small niches sites you have to spend the time updating them.. if you create 1 large site.. you have the same plus the fear that it might get shunned by google..

where is the light at the end of the tunnel.. i used to love affiliate marketing now it seems as though im barely keeping my head above the water and am so close to going back to the regular 9-5 job

It does get discouraging at times, but then a site like woot shows up and you remember it just takes a good one to put you on a beach in Belize.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    The challenges that come up in the ever changing landscape of affiliate marketing are really no different than the challenges faced by any business owner who is trying to keep pace and grow. What you are feeling right now is exactly what EVERY business owner faces day in and day out.

Be it offline or online business, the challenges are always there. You may lose a PR online, while an offline business loses position in print media. You may face higher PPC rates, while an offliner faces rising print and video media costs. You may have a lower ROI because rates went up, product popularity decreases, commissions changed. An offliner may have a lower ROI because ad and promotion rates went up, employee wages increased, product popularity decreased.

In ANY business ownership these challenges will always be there. The reality is that whether you are an affiliate, or you are a merchant, you "own" a business, and with business ownership comes continuous challenges. If you want to succeed in the long term - learn to accept that these challenges will always exist. Once you recognize this reality, you can then move to the next level, using the challenges to excel - using them as a spring board to developing a creative edge.

Challenge and overcoming challenges are part of the free enterprise system. The strong survive. There is NO business that you can just set up, and then expect it to perform at top level for the rest of your life. All businesses face constant challenge / change, including the owners of the businesses that hire people to work 9 - 5.

Let's look at a real time example of an industry that is going through major challenges right now: real estate.

New home sales and sales of existing homes have again hit a downturn, just like they do every 7 - 10 years. When times are good in home sales, everyone and their brother become RE agents. Within the total number of agents in the RE community, there are a percentage who are there for the long term, and a percentage who are there riding the wave. The long termers diversify when times are good, invest and build surplus. The wave riders spend every thing they make, and raise their cost of living expenses, ignoring the reality that one day it will change....

When housing sales hit the skids, through natural attrition, many agents find other employment, while those who have a plan and are committed to the long term get creative. They may widen their horizons through increasing their role in property or rental management, or may see it as an excellent period for property acquisition (lower prices = opportunity for the future) or they may assist sellers who want to sell their own homes to escape 5 - 7 % commissions because the market is slow and selling prices will need to be lower in order to motivate buyers. The key here is staying power, creativity and the ability to change with market conditions.

IN Aff marketing, if you are not willing to change with the landscape and keep creating, you cannot succeed for the long term. On the other hand, if you welcome the hard work it takes to grow, and ALWAYS keep looking for creative opportunities you do fine.

The days of putting up a site, and then raking in bucks while you golf or sit on a yacht sipping Pina Coladas for life are over. The internet, like the offline market - is a hugely competive arena and more players come into the picture every day. Thus, constant work and effort are required in order to stay profitable and grow. Now - there is your chalk talk for today!! I hope you find it useful.

You can stay at it, REFUSE to lose, COMMIT to staying the course and doing what it takes to succeed, or you can decide that it is not worth the stress, effort, challenge and do something else.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Great post ALH!

Just as in any business, not only do you need that one good idea, but you need the vision and the flexibility to make it work in the long term. Find that idea, find your vision, and hang in there (be smart!) and you'll make it.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

ALH - AmeritrustRx wrote

The key here is staying power, creativity and the ability to change with market conditions.
    ALH, a very good advise or rather useful lecture.

Staying Power: Todays staying power in affiliate marketing includes the dollars and cents. If you cannot sustain the amount used for ppc and your site are no where near the top SERP, well then, you have to come to the next option of creativity, which by no mean is easy just for anybody.
    And lastly, the ability to change with market conditions is just not like if you cannot sell these you sell other things. The changing of online market conditions is to move along with the fast moving technology of the internet which again for some is not that easy.

Whatever it is, the message from ALH is true:
    You can stay at it, REFUSE to lose, COMMIT to staying the course and doing what it takes to succeed, or you can decide that it is not worth the stress, effort, challenge and do something else.
    Thanks
    Richard

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    You have got to enjoy what you are doing!!! The sites you build have to interest you. It's got to be you baby and you want it to succeed.

It sounds like you just build a site and then your done with it and then you get another idea and your build another one. I subscribe to the Japanese Theory of Affiliate Marketing (I dreampt this terminology up). What I mean is you build a site and then continual marginal improvement. You must be continually adding new stuff to it. Sometimes you add content, sometimes you find link exchanges, sometimes you refocus parts of it. There is always somethign to do. You don't have to do it in one day or one week or one month, but as things accur to you improve it.

Now you may think that is tedious, but its only tedious if your site is in a subject you don't have a passion for. Stop thinking of this as work and start thinking of it as a hobby. There is never a reason to get overwhelmed, becuase since its your site, you get to choose when things are done. If you don't want to do something today do it tomorrow. If the site is on something you like then you'll keep coming back to it.

Me, I've learned to love cows and horses and dogs :-) The more I know the more I add stuff.

So, I guess what I'm saying is if you are feeling overwhelmed
    1) Stop adding new sites, you old sites aren't finished yet
    2) Sick with the sites that you have an interest in only
    3) on a separate note: If you are worried about PR make sure that all your sites, regardless of their subject are linked from their index pages.

Mike

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Have you tried networking, in person, with other affiliates? I've met some wonderful people through ABW and we now have offline relationships that have proved invaluable to my growth and enjoyment of it all. My income has climbed to all time highs and I can't think of much else besides normal skills progression to explain it - am thinking the talks, sharing, discussions, trust, skills, barter, banter that has come from it continues to make me a better affiliate in many ways. Form a circle if trust and see if your enjoyment deepens and your progress improves.

Just a suggestion and something to think about if you haven't already done so.

Internet Cowboy
    Always remember this:

Diversify Diversify Diversify

Google can now break your heart in the SERPS and also in PPC. Google can be your best friend or your worst nightmare. There are ways to promote web sites outside of Google, even not online. Certain types of sites can have quite an appeal to consumers who see bumper stickers, or other offline ads for your site.

Donuts mentioned networking offline with other affiliates. This is indeed priceless. If you are near other affiliates, reach out and try to make a friend.

Learn how to automate your sites. You can automate sites that are not cookie cutter datafeed sites. It is amazing what you can do to a datafeed with some simple php commands.

The light you are seeking at the end of the tunnel will come with diversifying your operation. Do not rely on one merchant, one traffic source or one anything else. Compose your pie of many small pieces from different sources and you will not be so heavily affected when a single source dries up or even goes away for good.

Hang in there and keep working. Never be scared to admit you were wrong and back up and try something different. Domains and hosting are cheap and on the web you can still compete with those who have MUCH deeper pockets than you have.

Thanks all..

im trying to not throw in the towel.. as adsense is still working for me, so is certain affiliate programs

just at times you feel like little man in a big ocean wondering where the heck land is..

Its just trying to find those goldmine affiliate programs.. the ones where 1 product or one company really converts for you

Shop - just wanted to add my support and agreement with what Donuts advised about personally meeting other affiliates. We are all of a common thread here in that we make a living, or supplement a living through internet relationships.

However, meeting peers personally is the way to success for those who truly want to maximize their industry success. You cannot sit and enjoy a face to face conversation through emails or phone chats. You cannot derive the same degree of comfort through online relationships as you do in person. A face in an avatar tells you nothing compared to looking a person in the eyes, shaking their hand, bouncing ideas and conversation together, "seeing" the person and "feeling" what kind of character, ambition, integrity, and sincerity reside in the person.

It costs money to travel, but if money is tight, there are other affiliates and merchants who live close enough that you can all drive to a central meeting point for something that can be so important to the networking of your business. The internet will NEVER take the place of personal meetings and "in - person" relationships.

Early on, I have met many great people through this forum and some other online involvements we have, and at every opportunity, I invest the time, money and effort to keep meeting, keep sharing ideas, keep bouncing plans, and keep culturing sound relationships. It's easy to do if 1.) you are a person who understands that in order for YOU to be enriched, you must want to enrich others, and 2.) you believe enough in yourself and your business that you are truly anxious to meet and network by shaking hands and sharing conversation. Try it and I think you will find that your mindset will change for the better and as your mindset goes, so goes your growth.

Best Wishes For You - I hope to meet you in Las Vegas in January!!
    Last edited by ALH - AmeritrustRx; October 31st, 2006 at 07:49 PM. Reason: typo
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

las vegas? is that affiliate summiit?

Hey Shop,
    I totally feel where you are coming from. This is a hard business for sure and it takes dedication and persistence. I have a pretty successful blog that I post to at least once a day. I do find myself at my computer every day for long periods of time. And it can be very exhausting and alienating, but I really believe that it can be done. There are so many people out there making a living on affiliate marketing, so don't give up!
    Just here to give my support!

Yes Shop the aff summit - I am bringing my support crew - hope you make it too.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread