ABW Ambassador
    I've been hearing a lot about the forest fires here in the states...wasn't aware of major forest fires in Canada...Today, here in Washington DC, it appears to be rather foggy..very low visibility..more than your normal haze. Turns out that smoke from some large Canadian Forest fires is catching the jet stream and covering us. Visiblity is less than 1 mile in some places....

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    I dont know if the smoke is from the fires or us fogging trying to get rid of these d*mn mosquitoes.
    [img]tongue.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    LOL...well, don't send them 'skeeters' this way...we have enough of our own..you can keep 'em. As for the smoke here...it looks kind of like a mostly cloudy dreary day...but there is not a cloud in the sky...LOL...and you can smell it...seems like your burning trees smell much better than ours.

I'm doing traffic today, and beavis and butthead keep calling...beavis asking about the weird fog that has enveloped the area...butthead keeps asking 'What Smoke?'

It's dem pine trees Tom. We've had it since late yesterday - I thought it was a storm brewing because it's looked like dusk here. I kind of liked the smell 'cuz it was like a camp fire but then it started making my eyes water.

It did keep the temperature down around here. Was supposed to go to 90 but only went to 85.

For those of you who are wondering what we're talking about, there are forest fires up in Quebec and the smoke is blowing 600-800 miles to the south.

You can read about the fires at CBC News

ABW Ambassador
    Hah...and they say its us Americans that are causing all the pollution...I beg to differ [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Your right about the storm brewing..its looked like that all day...Tommorrow our winds will shift to the south and blow it all back up to you... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Can you guess Mother of all Air Polluters?

Mother Nature!

According to Northnet.Org, people cause only about HALF of the air pollution that may hurt us. Both particulate matter and harmful gases are released into the Earth's atmosphere by volcanoes as well as by forest fires and grass fires ignited by lightning strikes. Strong winds lift debris, microbes and particles from the land and even the surfaces of the oceans to carry them throughout the atmosphere. The process of organic decay is a major source of all the harmful gases that are released into the atmosphere.

... Not to mention, of course, bovine flatulence. Cow F**ts constitiute 10% of the methane released into the atmosphere.

So, stay away from grass fires in cow pastures.

Doc

[ 07-08-2002: Message edited by: Doc Sawyer ]

I think the Cow Byproduct problem owes less to Mother Nature and more to McDonalds...

I

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread