ABW Ambassador
    Arrow Request for Better Access to Linkshare Affiliate Area
    As a member and on behalf of many other affiliates that are fed up with the current Linkshare login system, please give us a better way to login to the affiliate area as the current system is flawed, slow, user-unfriendly and makes accessing merchants links a chore instead of it been easy. I for one find going to CJ and other networks enjoyable as opposed to the awful way I have to login to Linkshare and I dread going there unless I have to these days as it means I have to manually type in lots of details each time just to access the links, account & reports etc.

Please take a lesson from websites like PayPal, CJ and Ebay which handle secure logins each day by the thousands.

What do they all have in common that Linkshare does not have?:

1./ Easy home page login access (we can enter our login details without needing to go to another page first)
    2./ Login details & passwords are stored in the browser (both IE, FF & most other browsers) so we only need to type the first letter of the login name and all the details will be instantly inserted for us & we just need to then submit - Linkshare does not remember our details except occasionally in Firefox the login name may be remembered. This is one of the worst things with the Linkshare login as often the login details are not remembered in the browser.
    3. None of them make you enter a security code which is a slow and unnecessary step if the site programmers fully understand SSL & secure logins as opposed to Linkshare who force us to manually type in a number of several characters along side all the other login details that most of us have to also manually enter.
    4. None of the above websites require members to change their password every few months like Linkshare do, again this points to a lack of understanding from the programmers on SSL.

Slowing us down like this and making accessing the Linkshare website means we will go to the site and look for links less so if you want to improve sales and make everyone happy then please completely overhaul your login system.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

ABW Ambassador
    You can bookmark the login page.

https://ssl.linksynergy.com/php-bin/...ason=icf_login

I don't like typing in the security characters but it might take me all of 2 seconds. I don't think 2 seconds stop people from logging in and getting links. Don't like that or the changing of the passwords every now and then but it's nothing that will stop me from logging in, more of a minor annoyance.

Forget your password?
    Please enter the following information and you will receive an e-mail that will enable you to reset your password.

This does not work! Linkshare!
    I have tried for four days now. Maybe some Linkshare Merchants can get some action on this

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Mailman,
    The reset password form is working. It sounds like your email program may be blocking the message. Make sure the message is not blocked in your spam filter. You should contact our support team by filling out this form http://ssl.linksynergy.com/php-bin/a.../support.shtml.

Ranae

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    I don't like typing in the security characters but it might take me all of 2 seconds. I don't think 2 seconds stop people from logging in and getting links. Don't like that or the changing of the passwords every now and then but it's nothing that will stop me from logging in, more of a minor annoyance.
    That alone may not stop people, but it's just one of many little things that make the LS interface a chore. I dread using it and therefore it's the last place I'll go, and usually the last place gets no place.

It is more than the log in page. The entire LS interface (from both a merchant and affiliate point of view) is terrible! For example, I shouldn't have to log out and then log back in to view the affiliate side of things (to grab my own code for newsletters and such). I should just click and button to flip between the two sides at the very least!

It may not impact your bottom line directly, but I can tell you that I use web sites that have stellar UI much more often than ones that don't!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MINDsprinter
    It may not impact your bottom line directly, but I can tell you that I use web sites that have stellar UI much more often than ones that don't!
    that's an important point, many of us come from a web/graphic design background so ui design is something we pay high importance to and from my perspective there is something cluncky about the LS interface.

but it's just one of many little things that make the LS interface a chore.
    exactly, they all add up to make it a chore.

..but it's nothing that will stop me from logging in, more of a minor annoyance.
    Same here, if I need some links for a merchant etc then I will go there but I don't go there unless I need to because of the login & interface.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

ABW Ambassador
    "I dread using it and therefore it's the last place I'll go, and usually the last place gets no place."

You don't have a choice if the merchant you want to partner with is on the LS network. Would an extra 2 seconds really stop you from working with a merchant you think will make you money? I doubt it. I still don't like the extra steps tho but not a biggie.

It's not the nicest looking interface but I'm not understanding the difficulty in getting around. Let's see, I want to get links for a merchant.

I login.
    I click Create Links, I click on the merchant and then I can pick what kind of links I want to get. Pretty easy.

Reporting, easy too.
    Click Run Reports, pick the report you want to run, click go.

Pretty simple.

I mean, no question, LinkShare works on a basic level. But it isn't a "pleasure to use" like some other web apps out there. It may not stop some people, but it doesn't help! I'm drawn to user experiences that are friendly and easy to use. I wouldn't look at LS and say "no way, I'll never use THAT!", but it just might be the straw that breaks the camel's back in a way...
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

ABW Ambassador
    Not sure what you mean about "pleasure to use" . Like you said it's pretty basic, very simple to use. For me that's a good thing. What would you add to the way to get reports that would make it pleasurable? or getting links pleasurable? That's what I'm not getting. The login is a minor pain, agree with that. But after you login, what specific improvments would you suggest in getting links or running reports?

Google Analytics is a much better UI. Organized links (with drop down menues and such), nice AJAX pop ups and helpers. It makes it easy to do things.

Facebook has a great UI. All the things you could possibly want to do with a piece of info are at your fingertips. You click and button and fill out the form (on the same page!) and you're done, back where you started!

With LS, nothing is organized, everything is inconsistant (from a merchant's perspective anyway). For example, when I run a report on how my creatives are performing, I can drill down (after four screens) to a page that lets me know what affiliates have used that creative. Ok. If I want to check out a particular affiliate's site (to see why that ugly banner got so many clicks), I can't. No link, no info, nothing. Ok, so now I'm thinking, no affiliate site links, just their names.

Now I run a sales and activity report to see how people are doing. Oh look! The affiliate names are links now! Let's see that site that gets hundreds of sales a day! Click and....the boring grey LS info box. Ok, fine, the URL must be in here somewhere right? Oh, there it is...BUT IT IS NOT A LINK!!!! I have to copy and paste the damn thing into my browser to see the site!

Ok, so the affiliate names are links to the LS info window. Now, I'm ready to approve new affiliates. The list pops up with with affiliate names, and they are links. I click on them, expecting the LS info window, but no! This time I go to their site! If I want the info window, I have to click the get info link.

Come on people, this is terrible UI. Be consistant. Eliminate steps. It is not enough for it to just "work". Better UI is possible (see Digg, Facebook, Google, even ABW is easy to use!). Put some money into it please!!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

when I login to Linkshare..I need to put privacy into accepting all cookies..

I found that is risky! putting into the level that accepting all cookies only can Login!

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    You don't have a choice if the merchant you want to partner with is on the LS network. Would an extra 2 seconds really stop you from working with a merchant you think will make you money? I doubt it. I still don't like the extra steps tho but not a biggie.
    I do work with some merchants on LS. I will tell you, though, that I haven't been into the Linkshare interface in at least two weeks, maybe four, I can't remember.

I log into CJ and SaS countless times perday.

That prevents me from finding new merchants at LS and doing things that may improve the few existing relationships I do have. I doubt very much that I'm alone in that behavior.

I don't need it to be "a pleasure", and I'm not one to be petty or gripe, but they're simply in my way at every turn:

1. Login CAPTCHA (get over the AffTrack thing already and open it back up.)
    2. First thing I see every time I log in is a legal warning and how they cannot verify my business information. I've had to click past that for a year and a half now.
    3. Useless homepage, zero fresh information like a running balance.
    4. Getting new datafeeds is a process that I have to re-learn each time by digging into my emails or their resource center. And it and takes too long. The last request I made went unanswered probably because there are people and emails involved.

There are more, but I don't even want to log in to find them.

I bet if they just made it easier to do business with, they'd have so much new affiliate activity they wouldn't know what hit them.

Reminds me of a few real world examples...

My local BestBuy. Big new shiny store, filled with all sorts of great stuff. I WANT to give them my $1000 but for a while, more often than not it was impossible to get someone to help out. I've walked out of there more than once with my money (and I'm not impatient). They've fixed that recently, and I happily go there all the time now.

There's a great big shopping area close by to me (Rt. 9 Framingham/Natick for those of you from MA). I never go there even though there are the best stores for many things because traffic and parking is a nightmare. Instead, I'll drive farther away every time to a mall that has less to offer.

Is this rational? I don't know, but it is what it is.

If I were making several hundreds per day in LS, I'd surely put up with those things more. But I'm not and because of those things the chances of that happening are pretty slim.

ABW Ambassador
    Great post sjangro, I also want to add that the complete Linkshare website is soooo buggy it is not funny. I use a wireless broadband connection which at times is not the fastest connection around at least compared to when I had cable and I often have pages unable to load at all. I never ever have this problem on CJ, ShareAsale or any other network but just LS. This happens on both FF & IE so it's not browser specific.

In fact I know from 10 years as a website designer/developer that the LS website code is the problem & the whole backend is a disaster. Now don't get me wrong, I think they have a great program & very good merchants and I want them to succeed but I just don't understand why the hell they can't spend a bit of the huge profits they must make into getting a decent web developer to provide a stable and much better backend and interface??? To me it's beyond belief that a company that is in the forefront of the affiliate industry can not provide a proper interface with out so many bugs to it's clients?

This is really is one of the worst case's of business management I have ever witnessed, who ever makes the decision to let their website deteriorate so badly like this really needs their ass whipped! I'm sure some of my own websites have plenty of faults but I manage over 300 sites with a tiny budget and one person, they have teams of developers and huge budgets for one website and its shocking!

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread