Findology
    Anybody use these guys for advertising and if you have whats the good bad and ugly on them. Google is way too expensive, are they even a viable alternative.

Starlink

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    You get what you pay for. Work on your Google skills and expertise and your costs may come down.

I wish. The going rate for the keywords I use are going for $25 a pop. A little too pricey for me.

No way would I risk $25/click for a keyword. That is just disaster waiting to happen.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    You get what you pay for. Work on your Google skills and expertise and your costs may come down.
    Absolutely right!!

Star I understand your hesitation on expensive key words. But if you hone your G skills you will find that those key words don't have to cost a lot. You asked about findology. Yes, we tried it for nearly 3 months with three different campaigns. Great number of clicks - only problem is that they were fraudulent. Of over 1,000 supposed clicks, NO visitor went past page one, and hence, no sales. Compare that to G where 40% + of the visits we get go on to the sign up page.

We have tried numerous 2nd tiers and in some cases we got some sales, or even made a little profit as clicks are so cheap. But for every 1 that makes a small profit, there are 4 that will totally reverse that result.

I don't know if you have tried MSN, but if not you can give that a look too. But long term, like the "D" guy says - improve your Google skills and your costs may well come down. Good luck
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

There is just so much competition with those keywords, do you think maybe my dollars might be better spent on banner ads?

I looked into MSN and Yahoo but there is not much in savings per click. I heard that Google is going to make changes does anyone know what kind of impact that will have. I know the last time it wasn't too advertiser friendly.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I don't like banner ads myself, but hey maybe someone else has better experience with them. For the different programs we are involved with, I have been finding that a balance of seo and ppc is the way to go, but there is no immediate fix here.

With the major changes at G this year, a lot of folks have punted instead of digging in and getting better at using G. I wish you the best in your effort to find useful alternatives and hope you do.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlink
    The going rate for the keywords I use are going for $25 a pop.
    If the actual cost per click for the keywords you target is truly $25 a click (which I really doubt that all the top players are paying anywhere near that) then you're in luck! If the clicks are that valuable, it means you should be able to find many ways to reach them besides ppc. At this value, direct mail houses will have identified them as demo targets and you can do direct mailings. Phone marketers will have identified them as well, try to tap into that. It should be such a specialized B2B product that there are several more ways to reach this market.

And if you shoot for 5th position as your ultimate goal, instead of 1st, you can still get some of this valuable traffic at a terrific discount to your competitors.

Sorry to be a skeptical hard head, but there's a very teeny tiny chance that your targets are actually costing $25 a click down through a reasonable number of top spotters (say 6)... and if it is the case and it's too pricey (meaning negative roi, i assume), you need to be super positive you've milked every conversion rate fractional increase you can, cuz it sounds like there's big money to be made.

I agree wholehearted with you Donuts! except buying at a more reasonable cost say $22 will actually get me onto page 10-15. Google has a nice place where you can check out your adwords and see how much placement will cost you. Hence I found out the pricey investment. With all the underhanded clicking going on I can't afford the risk or the cost.

Looking for more cost effect ROI on my marketing budget. What is the best avenue for finding new affiliates?

Starlink

Ok - I'm speaking out of turn here because I don't really know the ins and outs of PPC bidding personallly. But through my day J*B I do see and hear things.

My understanding is that as long as you bid just over someone, you can cheat the bid a little bit.

Meaning you have the people possibly paying $25, but after you get by that bunch there are probably a lot of small time players. Say that group starts at $5. The guy that Google says is paying $25 is actually only paying $5.01. Plus, after Google did its last thing about putting a value on your landing page, it would place bids way high if the landing pages weren't valued correctly, but if yours was your bid would be lower.

Like I said, I have never tried any PPC on my personal sites, so this is just what I see at work. For whatever that is worth.

Sheri

Avoid findology - full of fraudulent traffic. zero conversions. We just wasted our money.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michelleus
    Avoid findology - full of fraudulent traffic. zero conversions. We just wasted our money.
    Finology claims to "ensure results by identifying fraud, optimizing traffic, increasing return-on-investment and developing brands." They state this for all three bullet points for Advertisers on their home page.

That, alone, might tell you something.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread