30, 60, 90 day cookie, but what about the lifetime of the customer?
    I am very new into looking into the purely AM business, so please excuse my ignorance. In the past I have dealt with high traffic community sites, and tended to have a direct relationship with the advertisers I ran with.

Some of them offered a kind of tagging agreement, whereby if I sent a surfer who subsequently signed up and bought something I would of course get the commission. However, if they then return to them and buy something else, I get a commission again. Basically for as long as that person carried on buying from that merchant, no matter how they got there, if they signed on with their username/password and made a purchase, I would get the credit.

Now, the question is, does this happen in this business? If I send traffic to a merchant here and they make a sale, I would expect to see a %. However, they go back and make another purchase (perhaps let's say because they just received a newsletter or some such)... do I get another % or does the merchant now 'own' them?

Affiliate Manager
    With the cookie technology, it is not really foolproof.

An affiliate can keep on getting commission from a customer as long as the customer buys from the same computer again and again and does not delete cookies. Having a lifetime cookie is technically as far as a merchant can go in providing repeat sales, but due the nature of cookies, these can never be guaranteed.

There are some independent merchants like Big Daddy Smokes (has a forum here), however, that do provide commission on every order by a customer referred by an affiliate.
    Join The [B][URL=http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=10705]Giftshoppingzone.com[/URL] [/B] Affiliate Program on SAS - [B]10% on sales , Unlimited cookie, over 15,000 products in datafeed![/B]
    [URL=http://gift-ideas.giftshoppingzone.com/]Gift Ideas[/URL]

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Welcome to the halfway house Cafeman. This is a question that comes up on a rotating basis. The thread below should be a big help to you. Good luck.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=79721
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Thanks for the link ALH - AmeritrustRx. I can see it can get quite heated in here when people think shilling is going on. Fair enough, but I'm no ones shill

The reason I asked this question is because I see great things with this kind of residual income. I experience it directly. I sold a very high traffic site about one year ago. All but 2 of the sites I sent significant traffic to for many years stopped being interested in me straight away. My traffic to them from my now sold source was gone and therefore so was any commission that I could make, as you would expect. No big deal.

However, 2 of the sites I sent traffic to tagged the members I referred. These members were signed up to these sites and often received newsletters and reasons to go back and spend more. To this day (one year later) I still make a good amount of residual income even though I have not referred anyone new for 1 year. And why shouldn't I? Once these sites have the members referred to by me they are kind of locked into their sites. The reason they are there is because of me. Anyone else trying to send them there is now too late, unless of course they sign up with a different account via another affiliate, which is entirely possible if they either a) have forgotten they are already a member of this site or b) have forgotten their username/password or whatever. The point being that it's not taking money away from other affiliates, it's simply keeping my fair share from the merchant.

Anyways, I can see it's considered a newbish kind of question so I'll move on and accept the situation and see if I can't still try to make an honest cent or two with the current setup

I think this sort of comes down to technology. If cookies were foolproof (and they are far from it), then this kind of thing would be easy to set up. As it is, they are not. So, a merchant has to create and program a mechanism within their system to track these lifetime sales. This may be easy, it may not be, but the reality of it is that it does take extra work. With merchants already paying fees to their affiliate networks just to run their program, I can see why most don't put in the extra time and effort to come up with a lifetime scheme.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Not at all Cafe - just passed the link as a resource for you to help you out as you get started. Good luck.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread