Angry Don't you hate it... ?
    ...when you bid on a keyword, get a good rank (avg. position) and a decent CTR, and then one day log into your adWords account to find out that your best-converting keyword has bee disabled and you need to increase your bid to a particular amount to get it active again?!

Geno

Internet Cowboy
    Their algo says your quality is not good enough. Watch the keyword saturation on your landing page. If your keyword is mentioned more than a few times G considers it SPAM. I found this out recently, they whacked many of my keywords. I set up a similar site with the same content and design but less keyword density and they love it and I am able to bid lower than ever and get great placement.
    Hint....they flag your domain. You might need to put a page for this item on another domain and point the campaign to that.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    Their algo says your quality is not good enough. Watch the keyword saturation on your landing page. If your keyword is mentioned more than a few times G considers it SPAM. I found this out recently, they whacked many of my keywords...
    Interesting... It's not that though. Definitely not that. They disabled the same keyword yesterday morning, but I didn't raise that bid, and they enabled it back again at the same cost... Weird way to do business......

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Weird way to do business...... Geno
    Yeah, it seems their entire business model is mathematical. Which is probably why they're seeing year-to-year growth of 70%+ the last three quarters.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    You're on the cusp and it's wiggling back and forth on you... make sure you have a clear privacy policy posted on your site as well as contact us page with accurate information consumer's can use. Scoot's density discussion is on the mark as well. And remember that since there's many inputs to the quality score, and you're apparently on the fence, work on your targeting, match type, keywords, ad text and landing page quality going forward. The better the correlation between keyword, ad text and landing page theme, the better. Ad some negs to improve your CTR (if you're not using exact match) and see if CTR can also help you get off the fence as well. If your ad group is large, consider splitting into smaller ad groups where each has a tighter theme / grouping than a larger one might have and improve the ad's relevancy for each to be better aligned.

Good luck.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    Their algo says your quality is not good enough. Watch the keyword saturation on your landing page. If your keyword is mentioned more than a few times G considers it SPAM.
    I never knew this applied to Adwords. I assumed it only applied to SEO.

Great advice Scoot!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Well, SEO and PPC are getting closer to one another. Google is trying to increase the relevence of its paid ads, which is quite a contradiction if you think about it in the right way...
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

when you bid on a keyword, get a good rank (avg. position) and a decent CTR, and then one day log into your adWords account to find out that your best-converting keyword has bee disabled and you need to increase your bid to a particular amount to get it active again?
    Same thing happened to me several weeks ago.

The problem was the ad would hardly ever show because it was DTM - but when it did - nice! So I made a new site for it and G killed the ads.

I thought G might have flagged the whole site. I have a privacy policy but no contact info.

I need to check the density. I know there are several keyword hyperlinks. (The vendor specifies tm bidding is allowed).

Hopefully, I don't have to switch domains...

Thanks for the tips guys!

You know what I started doing...checking on the Google keyword tool. This supplies the keywords in order of relevancy to a landing page. So now instead of pointing my keywords to what I think will work, I am asking Google what they think will work.

I don't know how well it is going to work out because I started doing it this week, but so far it has increased my number of clicks and lowered my mins big time. - just thought I would add that...

Well, SEO and PPC are getting closer to one another. Google is trying to increase the relevence of its paid ads, which is quite a contradiction if you think about it in the right way...
    This morning I had similar thoughts but in a different way.

If Google can raise the standards on paid ads to the same as free listings, why put free listings on the front page?

In a perfect G world, surely they want paid ad clicks to approach 100%.

Just a thought, at the risk of getting off topic!

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    You're on the cusp and it's wiggling back and forth on you... make sure you have a clear privacy policy posted on your site as well as contact us page with accurate information consumer's can use. Scoot's density discussion is on the mark as well. And remember that since there's many inputs to the quality score, and you're apparently on the fence, work on your targeting, match type, keywords, ad text and landing page quality going forward. The better the correlation between keyword, ad text and landing page theme, the better. Ad some negs to improve your CTR (if you're not using exact match) and see if CTR can also help you get off the fence as well. If your ad group is large, consider splitting into smaller ad groups where each has a tighter theme / grouping than a larger one might have and improve the ad's relevancy for each to be better aligned.

Good luck.
    In all honesty, has anyone been able to "resurrect" their site/keywords after it's been disabled? One of my datafeed sites has all of the necessary items (matching keywords, density, privacy policy, contact, articles, more content, etc) and it's still in disabled status.

I thought I had managed to get another site up and online again after the initial round - but it turned out to be a temporary thing.

Been speaking with reps and all they can say is the bot will come around and if the quality is good, it'll be re-activated. Somehow I have a feeling that hasn't happened to anyone yet.

Wish I knew what the real trick is...

Quote Originally Posted by MINDsprinter
    You guys seem to be just about on target as to their thinking. I received the following today in an email from Google:
    "Why are you focusing on landing page quality?
    The goal of our ongoing landing page quality initiative is to improve the experience of our users by providing high quality results not only in the ad text, but also once the user has clicked through to the site. We strongly believe that an excellent experience on the advertiser's site is an essential element in earning the continued trust of our users. Clearly, the better the user experience, the more likely it is that users (who are also your potential customers) will continue to seek out -- and click on -- AdWords ads over the long term. This is to the advantage of everyone: users, advertisers, and Google alike."
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

It just seems a bit odd to me. I mean, I'm PAYING for the ad right? Unless I'm doing something unethical, I should be able to point it wherever I want right? I can see the day when google charges a premium to point your ads to "unrelevent" landing pages.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Quote Originally Posted by MINDsprinter
    ...I can see the day when google charges a premium to point your ads to "unrelevent" landing pages.
    Seems to me that day is upon us.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    "Why are you focusing on landing page quality?
    The goal of our ongoing landing page quality initiative is to improve the experience of our users by providing high quality results not only in the ad text, but also once the user has clicked through to the site. We strongly believe that an excellent experience on the advertiser's site is an essential element in earning the continued trust of our users. Clearly, the better the user experience, the more likely it is that users (who are also your potential customers) will continue to seek out -- and click on -- AdWords ads over the long term. This is to the advantage of everyone: users, advertisers, and Google alike."

Wow - Google seems to be torn between being a neutral search engine or an ad broker. Seems a little out of balance for a business plan.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Adwords Algo Update coming up...
    New Adwords Algo update coming up within days....

From the Adwords Blog:

"In the next few days, we will be making two changes to how AdWords evaluates landing page quality. First, we'll begin incorporating landing page quality into the Quality Score for your contextually-targeted ads, using the same evaluation process as we do for ads showing on Google.com and the search network. Advertisers who may be providing a poor experience on their site will notice that their traffic across the content network decreases as a result of this change. Second, we're improving our algorithm for evaluating landing page quality and incorporating landing page content retrieved by the AdWords system.

As with our July system update, both of these changes will affect a very small portion of advertisers, so the vast majority of advertisers will not be affected at all by either change. However, those who may be providing a low quality user experience will see an increase in their minimum bids for Google.com and the search network and/or a decrease in traffic across the content network. In most cases, we expect that the higher minimum bids will cause the low quality ads and keywords to become "inactive for search.""

Yay - Google is trying to improve again. Always means good things are coming!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Google makes virtually all their money from ads - if consumers think they're not relevant and stop clicking, G will go broke. By putting the consumer's needs first (over the advertisers wants), G has been winning big.

This is also good for affiliates because it means all the ad spots can't be occupied by the large (rich) companies - we get to play (where we're specific and relevant).

Frustrating at times yes, but still better than all other alternatives.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmcowen
    New Adwords Algo update coming up within days....

From the Adwords Blog:

"In the next few days, we will be making two changes to how AdWords evaluates landing page quality. First, we'll begin incorporating landing page quality into the Quality Score for your contextually-targeted ads, using the same evaluation process as we do for ads showing on Google.com and the search network. Advertisers who may be providing a poor experience on their site will notice that their traffic across the content network decreases as a result of this change. Second, we're improving our algorithm for evaluating landing page quality and incorporating landing page content retrieved by the AdWords system.

As with our July system update, both of these changes will affect a very small portion of advertisers, so the vast majority of advertisers will not be affected at all by either change. However, those who may be providing a low quality user experience will see an increase in their minimum bids for Google.com and the search network and/or a decrease in traffic across the content network. In most cases, we expect that the higher minimum bids will cause the low quality ads and keywords to become "inactive for search.""
    Does this mean they'll whack the "made for adsense" click traps put up on millions of their slimeball "search partners" web sites and parked domains?? If they were honest they'd remove all DOORWAY pages in both the content and search network.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread