ABW Ambassador
    FTC Weak on Online Ad Industry Regulation
    Lot of names in the article, Yahoo, MSN, Claria, Valueclick, Google etc.

http://www.clickz.com/showPage.html?page=3623838

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I don't know if the FTC is weak, or it is just an unfathommable task to enforce advertising regulations, as well as enforce new regs formulatted to address the internet community. When it is a brick and mortar location with an address of record it's a much simpler task - but even then they have never been able to keep up with the millions of questionable ads etc that businesses put out.

Now the internet comes along and suddenly the brick and mortar is a cyber space moving target, or it's offshore, mirrored, domain registration information is fraudulent etc etc etc. I just see no way that they can effectively enforce the fair trade regulations they oversee with B & M's.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    More ammo for my B-a-HO.com project as the world watches the greed driven Adwhores move into Jehad mode. I'm reading a great book... Pimps, Hos, Playa Hatas, and All the Rest of My Hollywood Friends: My Life (Hardcover) by famous comdian/actor John Leguizamo
    http://www.amazon.com/Pimps-Playa-Ha...e=UTF8&s=books as I gather content for the site's launch.

My favorite quotable line from this Clickz article is ... "The interactive advertising industry does not want consumers to have any autonomy over their information, and it's time the federal government stepped in," . No counter PR spin can overcome the truth of the matter, as John Kerry's mouth and Bill Clinton's stain prove insurmountable for the deflectors.

Why do you think we, as affiliate industry insiders, are so protective of our own privacy information? We know the Adwhores running the interactive Ad biz have no boundries when it comes to datamining, privacy info peddling and using tricks for clicks to more quickly drain Ad budgets. samples: Compromised PC Leads To Big Fraud Losses For E*Trade and Ameritrade http://www.varbusiness.com/sections/...leId=193402614 or this jewel... Federal law enforcement officials Tuesday arrested the well-known CEO of White Plains, N.Y.-based MSP provider Compulinx on charges of stealing the identities of his employees in order to secure fraudulent loans, lines of credit and credit cards, according to an eight-count indictment unsealed by the U.S. Attorney's office in White Plains. ... http://www.varbusiness.com/sections/...leId=193500991

Yeppers. The consumer world has a immediate need for a TELL ALL type site, un-teathered to the industry spin masters, where anonomous insiders can even out their greedy unethical bosses. Maybe I should team up with Pud of F*ckedcompany.com rather then ABWers, who yawned about content monitizing ideas for B-a-HO.com. His problem always was the same as the one Air America faces.... lefties and gays drive away any chance of sustained discourse and viable traffic. Then again lurkers are drawn to train wrecks and whackoos as this PR7 site is run by the ultimate Adwhore.

Behavioral Adbrite targeting there brings up... F*ckedcompany.com is brought to you today by Trump University.... yada yada yada... complete with a scripting exploit to generate at incentive offer for immediate action! Maybe I could educate Pud to develop a harmless BHO that pops-up a Gottcha message scaring the crap out of the normal victims with gleaned info from common browser info Adwhore exploits, pointing them to a B-a-HO.com page for real online detection & removal tools. WTF ... and honest buck from a relivent consumer service Ad.

Hey It's late, Charlies asleep and my brain is getting fuzzy.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I guess FTC is going after the more serious / obvious offenders.
    FTC fines Zango $3 Million

Government regulators fined rogue adware distributor Zango (formerly 180Solutions) $3 million following charges that the company deceived internet users into installing its pop-up software and tried to prevent them from uninstalling it.

Zango, which bundles its pop-up software with downloads such as screensavers or games, agreed to the Federal Trade Commission settlement, but did not admit guilt.

Outsourced Program Manager Nick Prussakov's Avatar
    It's a good thing that someone has started doing something but, as mentioned by ALH, it's hardly ever gonna be possible to eradicate such problems because of web's breadth. FTC's jurisdiction doesn't extend to websites registered in other countries and this can be used by rogues to the full extent, at least until FTC teams up with other regulatory bodies... and I don't really see this happening.

ABW Ambassador
    Lefties, gays, bill clinton and john kerry - yeah that is why we have a problem with adware...

The FTC only acts when you complain, so always, always file complaints. It works. It will not work quickly, you will not see a change overnight, but stick to it, keep filing.

Chet

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    The FTC only acts when you complain, so always, always file complaints. Chet
    Chet has a good point on the above. (I'll skip the political side)

Inasmuch as the internet is concerned, the FTC is now complaint driven (reactive) versus the proactive body as it was in the 80's. The internet is so vast - compared to what was a much narrower U.S. based "offline" universe prior to WWW, and with that, policing effectively is not practical.

However, they ARE reactive to complaints. It will not be immediate (nothing is with federal agencies) but if you keep filing reports / complaints, eventually they will look into the complaint - and if the perpetrator is U.S. based, they may well pursue it.

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Outsourced Program Manager Nick Prussakov's Avatar
    Not to create a new thread:
    US internet advertising reached a new high of $4.2 billion (2.2 billion) in the third quarter, marking the eighth consecutive quarter of growth, a study by PricewaterhouseCoopers revealed. US revenues in the third quarter grew by 33 per cent from a year ago. But despite continued growth, internet advertising accounts for about 5 per cent of all US advertising revenues. The Times.
    Interesting figures. Do they tell you anything?

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread