Lightbulb How to direct mail 200 businesses on a budget
    I just did this yesterday, so I thought I would share how I did this...

Step 1. Gather your mailing list. Use your own data, and go to InfoUSA.com and grab 100 free leads. When you're at checkout, click "live help" and tell them to apply that promo to your order. (about a $100 value, yours free in like 5 minutes)

Step 2. Pick up a box of envelopes and labels at an office supply store. I like the Avery 5263 size labels, because you can fit return address and address on the same label. (no messing with sticking 2 labels, plus there is room for your logo) Don't try running envelopes through your printer unless you have an industrial type printer, it will be a headache.

Step 3. Create a mail merge letter and labels in Word using your new mailing list. Be sure and personalize it as much as possible with your mailing list. Use first and last names, business names, city names, etc..

Step 4. Merge your document and labels and print them out.

Step 5. (this part is time consuming, might want to talk your 10 year old neighbor into doing this?) Fold letters, stuff envelopes, stick on labels and stamps.

Step 6. Mail!

There, that's it. I mailed a highly-targeted letter off to 200 business and it cost me about $7 for envelopes, $10 for labels, $78 for postage, and about 3-4 hours of my time. So, about $95 in total plus whatever toner i spent from my laser printer (not much).

Could I have paid to have this done? Yes, but it would still would have taken me 3-4 hours to figure out what vendor to use and it would have cost a lot more. The lesson: sometimes it's cheaper to do it yourself. Now, if I was mailing say 2,000 businesses, that is a different story.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Cool info, I had wondered where to get a decent mailing list from!

FYI, last I checked (a few years back) InfoUSA was getting their data from Dunn and Bradstreet (www.dnb.com) - so if you're buying a large list check that site too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zdig
    FYI, last I checked (a few years back) InfoUSA was getting their data from Dunn and Bradstreet (www.dnb.com) - so if you're buying a large list check that site too.

That's partially true. InfoUSA also has data entry clerks, and all they do all day is scrub yellow pages, etc., looking for corporate information and entering it by hand.

I visited them while on an interview. Quite an operation.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lilly
    That's partially true. InfoUSA also has data entry clerks, and all they do all day is scrub yellow pages, etc., looking for corporate information and entering it by hand.

I visited them while on an interview. Quite an operation.
    I bet they do a bit of site crawling and such too

i should add that i did consider mailing postcards, because the cost is considerably less...but i thought a letter hand-signed in ink would be the most effective for this mailing

i just checked prices at zapdata.com (dnb.com company i think) and it looks like basic mailing lists start around $0.17/lead (and less, depending on list size). if anyone has experience with other companies like this, please speak up!

Depends on how much mailing per month. SalesGenie has a great program on a subscription basis. They're an InfoUSA company.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Can anyone recommend a good company for doing a large one-time mailing. (1,000-10,000 list size) ?

(If my small mailing works out I might try a larger one, but I think 200 is about the max for doing it "manually")

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread