Alexa Ranking
    I've read a few places on the site that Alexa rankings can be misleading. How so? Is there anything else I can use when I am looking at a site to determine overall popularity or unique visitors?

Alexa rankings can be manipulated just by having the toolbar installed and visiting your sites over and over again daily.. so yeah those stats from alexa are meaningless.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

15 years and counting
    Maim133 - Is there anything else I can use when I am looking at a site to determine overall popularity or unique visitors?
    They are still a unique indicator and one of the best. Yes, they can be manipulated by idiots clicking over and over to boost their own stats but you can see it pretty fast.
    You can also boost your Google ranking with SEO tricks. Is Google meaningless?
    Try URLTrends.com

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I agree - ALexa rankings are one piece of useful information when checking into a sites traffic and popularity. It can be manipulated, but that is not a major concern, so by all means it is worth factoring in when evaluating a site.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    I agree - ALexa rankings are one piece of useful information when checking into a sites traffic and popularity. It can be manipulated, but that is not a major concern, so by all means it is worth factoring in when evaluating a site.
    They released today a new version of their graphs with new ranges from:
    7 days to 5 years. Not bad. Comparison and smoothing options.
    Good information for sites with a traffic rank under 100 000.
    Where else can you get 5 years of traffic history for a site? With an access to the wayback machine.

IMHO - Alexa Rankings are 100% worthless...

Example.. one of my domains.. is listed as being owned and pointed to Sesame Street .org...

Since this is the case MY domain has the same traffic and stats on Alexa as Sesame Street.org -- which makes it look WAY better than it really is...

I have NO IDEA.. how it got messed up... and I have tried to have it switched but ALEXA doesn't respond...

When I see how screwed up my own domains ALEXA RANKINGs are.. it makes me not trust any sites ALEXA RANKING....

I wouldn't say Alexa ratings are TOTALLY worthless. They give you a ballpark idea of the volume of traffic a site gets. I've always been partial to this Alexa traffic estimating map, http://www.sillyjokes.co.uk/alexa/index.php. I wouldn't bet my life on the accuracy of the data, but it's nice to look at.

I agree. Alexa = 100% worthless. Don't put any stock in them for SEO purposes.

ABW Ambassador
    Not only can it be manipulated, but educated surfers know better than to install that crap - and they don't even have a firefox version so there goes a giant bunch of sample data. And if the data can't be trusted, making any kind of decision on it is just silly.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Alexa = crap. I was able to blast one of my sites way up just by installing the toolbar. And it didn't even take visiting it "over and over"--just about 5 hits/day from me made enough of a rise to make the site look fairly major.

I've got posts about it in an Alexa thread around here somewhere, I think it was a year or 2 ago.

The initial spike may seem obvious, but that's only for sites who haven't been the target of months or years worth of self-clicking. Not only that, a 100% Legit webmaster who has the thing installed will run up his own stats just by normal updates, even when not trying to increase rank! An update-maniac would probably get it to say 1k before he got hit the first from "outside"...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    It's a joke. I don't know anybody who has the Alexa toolbar besides webmaster types. And what's been pointed out already, how easy it is to manipulate. Also the majority of users live in countries most merchants don't even ship too. When someone talks about their Alexa ranking the first thing that pops into my mind is newbie.

i would guess that there is a tipping point where the stats have some value, but would guess that it's skewed heavily in the direction of business sites (visitors more likely to have the toolbar installed)

I have a site that gets less than 50 visitors a month, but some how it was still in the top 1,000,000 sites....i don't think so ;-) But when you look at top 500,000 it may have more weight.

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbshouse
    i would guess that there is a tipping point where the stats have some value, but would guess that it's skewed heavily in the direction of business sites (visitors more likely to have the toolbar installed)

I have a site that gets less than 50 visitors a month, but some how it was still in the top 1,000,000 sites....i don't think so ;-) But when you look at top 500,000 it may have more weight.
    From Alexa Disclaimer, at the bottom. Don't forget your glasses!
    http://pages.alexa.com/prod_serv/tra...earn_more.html
    Bold added by me
    "In addition to the biases above, the Alexa user base is only a sample of the Internet population, and sites with relatively low traffic will not be accurately ranked by Alexa due to the statistical limitations of the sample. Alexa's data come from a large sample of several million Alexa Toolbar users; however, this is not large enough to accurately determine the rankings of sites with fewer than roughly 1,000 total monthly visitors. Generally, Traffic Rankings of 100,000+ should be regarded as not reliable because the amount of data we receive is not statistically significant. Conversely, the more traffic a site receives (the closer it gets to the number 1 position), the more reliable its Traffic Ranking becomes."
    For a description of other Alexa biases, see:
    Alexa rank information and the Alexa Toolbar
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexa_Internet

You can use Alexa once you know all these limitations.

ABW Ambassador
    No you can't. The numbers are still skewed. But people will insist... they will mention the data is broken... but you can... - No, you can't. Broken data is broken data, no amount of hoping it is true will fix the data.

Now 50 people will post how you can use it, or if you just do this then..., or in this case you can..., i only use it for... none of which fix the basic broken part of the data.

Chet

15 years and counting
    You can think what you want. I'm still USING IT and it works for what I HAVE to do.
    Just give us a better tool.

a9 toolbar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi
    Alexa rankings can be manipulated just by having the toolbar installed and visiting your sites over and over again daily.. so yeah those stats from alexa are meaningless.
    I just checked the website to download the A9 toolbar, and it looks like it is not being developed anymore. http://toolbar.a9.com/

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by UnitedSharingNetwork.com
    I just checked the website to download the A9 toolbar, and it looks like it is not being developed anymore. http://toolbar.a9.com/
    Check that:
    http://download.alexa.com/index.cgi

By the way, I'm not here to promote Alexa, I just don't like people bashing a free tool able to help you get some work done. I agree, it's a nosy tool, could be worse than what Molander can sell. Most of the time, you understand fast why some people don't like Alexa after running a test.
    "WIKIPEDIA - Alexa provides an important, useful, and, for most websites, also independent source of information about website traffic. It reports some share of the traffic created by Alexa toolbar users. Unfortunately, Alexa's rankings are often misinterpreted as an exact or approximate measure of popularity of web sites."

Quote Originally Posted by mrbshouse
    i would guess that there is a tipping point where the stats have some value
    Yes, I agree with this. Very low Alexa ratings tend to be tech sites, webmaster resource sites etc. but take a look at the truly great sites that you know have a ton of traffic, they also have low Alexa ratings. The tool isn't absolute crap, it's just like most things, you need to know how to interpret the data and therefore use it accordingly.

Alexa can be a useful tool if you remember that it is only a sample of a portion of your ratings. We combine several tools and analyze them against each other. Google Analytics is another valuable tool that we use.

As we check our site and watch our alexa ratings increase and then compare it with the analytics tools we can get a close estimate as how we are really doing.

Each use different data to judge their ratings. As each one incresaes accordingly we know we are doing something right. SEO is a constant changing thing and your best time spent. You can judge your progress by seeing its reflection in either one of these tools.

Regardless of fraudulent clicking, our site is different in the aspect we are not in your market so we feel our fraudulent clicks are at a minimum.

Starlink

Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    Has anyone tried this traffic tool from seomoz.org?

http://www.seomoz.org/tools/page-strength.php

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GigaGolf
    Has anyone tried this traffic tool from seomoz.org?

http://www.seomoz.org/tools/page-strength.php
    That's a pretty cool tool, Rick. Thanks for posting the link!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    A double thanks here too Rick - looks interesting. Have you or anyone here used widexl? Like to hear comments from anyone who has. Thanks again for the pass along.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Thanks for the link Rick, I'm having fun. As for wixdl it is a good site to have in your arsenal of tools. Each one is like a piece of a puzzle, used together they can give you the big picture.

SeoMoz is going to consume me along with MarketLeap. I think they make these things for the same reason they rank schools and the like. People love to see where they fall.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread