Calendars.com issues?
    Has anyone else had strange data from calendars.com recently? My sales dropped off substantially recently, and so I suspended the associated PPC advertising campaigns until I had time to investigate. To my surprise, I've continued to see sales attributed to PPC clicks, days after suspending the PPC campaigns. I suppose these might be return visitors or repeat customers, and perhaps everything is just normal fluctuations -- but I'd like to hear from any other calendars.com affiliates if they have had "unexpected data" recently?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Hi mark, No an affiliate of them but I have bought from them before.

What is the time frame from the time you suspended PPC to the time you see some sales trickling in? I doubt that it could be return customers unless they have a 365 or lifetime cookie.. but then, people do clear out their cookies quite often.
    I would lean towards return visitors and/or the search engine might take x to 12hrs to pull your ads off their entire network.

Thanks, Eric. The time-lag was several days, so I don't think that was the issue. It certainly seems likely that "return visits" will account for the most recent sales occurring days after the PPC campaigns were suspended (and these are definitely "recent" return visits [not folks returning from last year], since my 2007 campaigns are coded with different sub-ids than my 2006 campaigns were). What concerns me is that my conversion rate dropped significantly in mid- to late October, and then when I suspended the campaigns, sales continued almost at the same rate as during the prior week.

I did initiate a test transaction (bought a calendar), and it did track properly.

However, my October affiliate earnings were only 25% of my September earnings from this merchant, even as my PPC expenses rose. (Normally, I see my calendar sales and earnings double every month from September to December).

Here are something to consider:

-Did they change anything on their site? I know that sometimes they would change something like a site format or font size and that could impact conversion.

-Was their site down? did they have checkout / shopping cart issues.

-Did they increase shipping by some crazy amount?

-Another aspect you want to look at is, did a big player like uPromise or igive move into their program. you get the drift..

Logically thinking, i would think that your conversion should take off as the new year approach

15 years and counting
    I like to hear from any other calendars.com affiliates if they have had "unexpected data" recently?
    I'm a calendars.com affiliate. I'm not paying much attention to them. I've sales everyday and I'm always wondering why people would buy a calendar in August or even now. All my traffic is organic, no PPC.
    I don't see strange data other than that. I'm getting emails for my sales, a check every month and I'm still unable to know what was sold. Is there a way to access real stats?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    I'm a calendars.com affiliate. * * * I'm still unable to know what was sold. Is there a way to access real stats?
    You can encode links with a "subid" and you'll know which link was clicked to drive the sale, but you still won't know for certain which product(s) the consumer bought. The parameter is "sub=" and here is a sample link:

http:// www. calendars. com /product .asp? IID=XXXXX &PID=1 &MGID=-1 &kbid=YYYY &sub=Zeus (spaces added)

(Here, YYYY is the affiliate ID, XXXXXX is the product ID, and "Zeus" is an example of a subid value. I don't think you can use a subid if you rely on their iframe code snippet.)

I use the subid to keep track of my PPC campaigns, to determine the optimal bid level -- for example, I might append "sub=g-dog-calendars" for a bid at Google for the phrase "dog calendars."

It's quite sad to have a "moderate-performing" program like this just dry up overnight, without any comprehensible reason why.

did you contact the program manager?
    he should be the best person to help you.

went to their site. Decent website that should convert. The only sticking point is
    - I Have to register/checkout only to see the shipping cost.
    a $12.99 calendar and shipping is $3.99..
    unless they offer free ship to affiliate so that it will help you convert, some might not find it worth the price to buy a single calendar..
    imho

15 years and counting
    Thanks Mark,
    I didn't know about the "subid", it will help me. I appreciate.
    "Eric - I Have to register/checkout only to see the shipping cost.
    a $12.99 calendar and shipping is $3.99."
    People buy, I'm not complaining about conversion, I just wonder sometimes if it worth my time and web space for a $1,94 commission.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread