Merchants are being too zealous in monitoring ppc...
    I got an email from a CJ merchant recently claiming that I was trademark bidding on their program on MSN. That one caught my attention because (1) I don't trademark bid, and (2) I'm not an MSN customer.

After investigation, it turned out that some third party "made-for-adsense" website had submitted trademark bids on this merchant's brand name on MSN. When you click on their listing, you're directed to a website mainly consisting of adsense ads related to the merchant's offerings. Since we were bidding on google on generic terms related to the merchant's offerings, our ad was being shown there via the adsense network, along with a host of other competitor's ads. Hence the merchant made the mental connection that we were in some way connected to the trademark bids.

To keep the merchant happy, we removed our generic bids anyway. This of course is now hurting the merchant in two ways: (1) our generic searches for them are now no longer running, and (2) the offending website is still bidding on their trademarks on MSN, but now the made-for-adsense page that comes up when you click on their listing only refers you to their competitors, so that the merchant is probably losing all customers that go that way now.

There's clearly a downside to merchants being too zealous in monitoring ppc. I think merchants should above all make sure that they can afford affiliate commissions and make a profit, and then leave things at that, rather than going down into the details of the ppc muck and ending up shooting themselves in the foot.
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

That is crazy. Can I ask which merchant?

In this case, when zealousness is complicated by a clear lack of understanding of how PPC works, the merchant certainly does lose.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Hi Lav - just curious. Before you took the generics off on that merchant, did you speak with them about it to attempt a clarified understanding of what was happening, or did that not matter to them? Is their main goal to capitalize on Adsense revenue or are they concerned about their trademark due to others possibly abusing it for traffic that was then redirected somewhere else etc etc? Sorry to hear about it - but there are more fish in the sea.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    Hi Lav - just curious. Before you took the generics off on that merchant, did you speak with them about it to attempt a clarified understanding of what was happening, or did that not matter to them? Is their main goal to capitalize on Adsense revenue or are they concerned about their trademark due to others possibly abusing it for traffic that was then redirected somewhere else etc etc? Sorry to hear about it - but there are more fish in the sea.
    Wrote to them explaining what was going on, haven't heard back.

As to what their goals are in life, I won't hazard any guesses!
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

Merchants are being too zealous in monitoring ppc...
    The average term of account managers is about 6 months and they've been getting steadily younger as the prestige of the position falls in the industry.

Typically I'll get a note from someone on an account that's made less than $10 in the last month. If its clear that the amount at issue is worth less than either the acct managers time or my time, I'll just take down all advertising and unsubscribe from the merchants program.

I have way too much work to do. I just don't have time to fool with account managers who don't know what they're doing.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread