Question Can .us domain names have private registration?
    1and1 said that they don't do private registration on .us domain names. Is that something all registrars abide by? How come? I had to change my information to some not so accurate info to protect me, but I could lose the domain, I suppose. I probably can't sell it either. Thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    It isn't private registration on .us domains - I've got one, and it's something similar but I don't remember exactly what. Not 100% anonymous though.

Can I sell it if I have just a valid email address?

.US domains recently had a major change, and I believe they can no longer be private and must meets some other criteria as well. I completely gave up on such domains afterwards.

It was almost "patriot act" special.

nakedgamer - I have a few dot US names... can you give us a link to any info on these changes...???

http://www.americansdeserveprivacy.com/

A recent and arbitrary decision by a federal agency eliminated private domain name registrations for the .US domain name. This means current holders of .US private domain registrations will face either making their personal information public for everyone to see (including the many thousands of predators who stalk the WHOIS directory daily searching for easy prey), or giving up their .US domain name. It also means that new purchasers of .US domain name registrations will not be able to purchase private registrations.
    With Godaddy.com for example you can no longer use privacy option, and you must also answer 3 questions:

In order to register a .US domain name, you must meet certain eligibility requirements. Please respond to the questions below to verify your eligibility. The responses that you provide below should apply to all .US domain names on this order.
    1) How do you intend to use your .US domain?
    2) What best describes the company?
    3) Select your country of citizenship:

I believe this was setup to stop international registrations of .US domains. Either way it's too much of a hassle to worry about for .US domain.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread