Link spamming
    OK, here's a vent and information request.

I put up a link exchange system in very simple php (protected from injections). People submit links, I review them and if I like it I'll activate it.

Of late, I've been getting tons of link submissions sayng things like "Nice+site", "Hallo" and so forth (my personal favorite was "you were magnificent last night". I probably was, but who remembers?). Mostly nonsense, and a url to some actual site.

So I deleted the form and put up a temporary apology and non-clickable email address.

But the submissions continued. I realized that they must have saved the old form and were still shooting at my .php file that processes the requests. So I disabled that as well. Now things are quiet.

Can anybody clue me in as to what that was all about? Is this some sort of linkblaster program, or did they find a way to use the forms for spamming even though they were, to the best of my knowledge, secure (stripping out any injection headers)?

ABW Ambassador
    Programs scan for input forms, when they find one they just blast away at it based on the names of your form fields. It is getting to be a major pain in the ass. I now include one radio form question - pick the spam and offer multiple choices including one with a big arrow pointing at it that says spam - and i default the radio to another selection, that has stopped the problem 100% for me. Because a human is not visiting and is unable to see the obvious choice to make that all humans are easily able to make.

Chet

Thanks, chet.

If I follow you correctly, have a radio button answering the question "I am a spammer" set to default "yes". Then, set up the php to automatically destroy any submissions that have that answer (what code to do that, for this advanced beginner?).

are you able to determine IP address from the form submission?

I've experienced the same and have managed to block out & redirect the spammer through the IP address. It's not 100%, but have managed to reduce a number of these bots out there.

ABW Ambassador
    hazlcha, yeah you can do it for or against. It works pretty well either way. Blocking by ipaddress is an endless battle against new ips. The spammers can keep moving, but they won't change their methods, so it is easier to trick them.

Actually, I'll make the question "I am a lousy no-good rotten feces-eating spammer" and set it to yes by default.

Wonder what the search engines would do with that?

And then, what code to put in the php to destroy and submission with the yes checked? Thanks.

I wrote my own captcha for my forms and that certainly stops the bot/scripts.

I just did a quick search for 'free php captcha code' and found this:-

http://www.puremango.co.uk/cm_php_ca...script_113.php

Might be useful? If not there are bound to be others if you do more searching.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread