Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question Affiliate links in Blogs???
    Is it ok to use affiliate links in Blogs?
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

ABW Ambassador
    Your own blog? I don't see why not, if you're not sure ask the merchant.

I've got a few blogs that I've used plenty of links with. Most of them are buried deep, and still pull in a few bucks here and there. As of yet, I've not had any troubles, but like Trust said, just ask the merchant for clarification.

15 years and counting
    Kevin - Is it ok to use affiliate links in Blogs?
    A blog is a web site like others. You can use affiliate links. Just be careful, by example LinkShare don't track on WordPress. A problem as old as LinkShare, & are changed in &

I didn't know about the WP tracking issue. Thanks!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

That you all for the feedback, The Blog that I am thinking of created will be hosted by blogger.com however I would have control of all content posted.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    A blog is a web site like others. You can use affiliate links. Just be careful, by example LinkShare don't track on WordPress. A problem as old as LinkShare, & are changed in &
    I didn't know that, thanks for the tip
    Does Linkshare state that in a TOS or anywhere?
    Is this an announced rule: "We don't track on the following: blah blah blah" or was this discovered by trial and error?

Generally speaking, I believe "your own blog" means a blog on your hosting.
    Check with each merchant for specifics.

Right now I have Blogger blogs on my hosting with affiliate links.
    I have Blogger blogs on blogger hosting but those are really "glorified bookmarks" for me. I don't place affiliate links on blogspot/blogger hosting.

I was tempted to start a WordPress blog but if Linkshare links are not tracked, I might stick to Blogger blogs on my hosting.
    Last edited by Rhia7; November 6th, 2006 at 06:05 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I have been actively accepting blogs for months if they are in niche. It is hard to tell if they are producing any traffic.

Here is what I have learned about blogs from several affiliates. Avoid adding affiliate links until you have about 30 posts. Google seems to avoid indexing the blog if it starts out with affiliate links. WordPress gets indexed sooner than Blogger, replace the buttons with FeedBurner and it will get more syndication. A hosted account does better than the free account.

If you play your cards right you can get yours indexed and get the same page rank as your site. One affiliate reported that his 3 week old blog got in Google's top 10 while his 3 year old site didn't for the term he was working hardest on.

I am running Google alerts for all the programs I manage and see blogs indexed daily. It doesn't mean they have great ranking, just that Google is picking them up.

Chuck, have you noticed any difference in terms of the types of blogging software used? Does it matter if you use Blogger or WordPress for your blogs?
    Zeus said that Linkshare links don't track in WordPress blogs?
    Is that true or false?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Does Linkshare state that in a TOS or anywhere?
    Is this an announced rule: "We don't track on the following: blah blah blah" or was this discovered by trial and error?
    I've never read anything regarding LinkShare and WordPress but I've several WP blogs and I did my own test.
    For years I had arguments with Messer before he admitted LinkShare didn't track sales with the first version of FrontPage.
    http://ssl.linksynergy.com/php-bin/a...telinks14.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Zeus said that Linkshare links don't track in WordPress blogs?
    Is that true or false?
    Why don't you test it yourself to have your own opinion?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I am hearing that WordPress is the better platform of the two. I have not heard anything about LS links not working.

Quote Originally Posted by kse
    Is it ok to use affiliate links in Blogs?
    I've been looking for and accepting niche blogs as our affiliates from the start. Haven't seen any problem so far. Blogs are no problem with me . But, again... check with your merchant first.

Zues -

I've got a couple WP blogs and I do want to run the LS tracking test. What exactly doesn't track? I mean, do you get credit for the hit, just not for the sale? Does the cookie not get set? Or does the link just not work at all?

--Jason
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by MINDsprinter
    Zues -

I've got a couple WP blogs and I do want to run the LS tracking test. What exactly doesn't track? I mean, do you get credit for the hit, just not for the sale? Does the cookie not get set? Or does the link just not work at all?

--Jason
    Jason,
    The link appears perfectly normal if you look at your WP blog. The link works, it will redirect you to the right page on the merchant site. BUT, the link don't track meaning the merchant is getting the traffic but your sale will not show up (and you will not be paid).
    To see what's going on you need to check your code. You can do it by using the html editor integrated with WP [write post - edit html code (alt +e) ] or just by looking at the source code in your browser.
    The character '&' is replaced by WP as '& and believe me, if you have & in your LinkShare code, it will not track.

Thanks for the details! I'll be checking it out today!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

15 years and counting
    Thanks for the details! I'll be checking it out today!
    I've no idea if it is doing it on all versions of WP. I'm using the 2.0.4 version hosted on my own servers, the latest one is 2.0.5.

Well, here's my unofficial test results:

I tried posting an LS link on a blog hosted by wordpress (ie. something.wordpress.com).

The link was automatically edited out and in the HTML, there was a comment:

Code:
    <!-- TOS violation -->
    Very interesting! It seems wordpress hosted blogs automatically detect aff links (at least LS links) and edit them out.

Next, I tried posting an LS link on a wordpress blog I host myself (ie. www.mydomain.com/wordpress/).

This link seemed to work perfectly! The link was posted and as far as I can tell, the code is identical to what I copied from LS. I haven't tried making a sale with that link, but the characters are all the same.

Zues, you said something about changing & to &amp;

What is that about? The LS link I tried did not have an & in it, so maybe I'm not testing the right thing...

Anyway, hope this is helpful.

<edit>I'm using WP version 2.0.2 on my hosted site. I don't know about the WP hosted site, probably the latest version though...</edit>
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

15 years and counting
    A typical Linkshare link looks like that:
    Code:
    http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=myaffiliateID&offerid=XXXXX.462364999&type=10
    See the difference with this one
    Code:
    http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=myaffiliateID&ampofferid=XXXXX.462364999&amptype=10
    With &amp instead of &, the link still redirect but doesn't track.

That definitely did not happen with the link posted on the wordpress blog I hosted.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

However, I do use a bunch of plugins, customized CSS and php code, etc... in my WP install, so any of that may have affected things.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

15 years and counting
    That definitely did not happen with the link posted on the wordpress blog I hosted.
    I'm trying again live on one of my blogs.
    If I paste the Linkshare code as a link on my blog, WP don't change it
    http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/...364551&type=10
    If I hide the link like here:
    Link
    & is changed in & #038;

If I use the WP html editor & is changed in &amp;

In the last two cases, LinkShare will not track

Very interesting. Again, it worked for me, but that might be my custom install...

I haven't actually made a sale with that link, but the code is exactly how it copied from LS. I guess the moral of the story is check your code to make sure.

It is too bad, because wordpress is an excellent blog CMS.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

15 years and counting
    I don't understand why WordPress can't accept LinkShare links, it's pretty lame.
    "I guess the moral of the story is check your code to make sure."
    That's the best advice. Just a quick look at the source can save you a bunch of money.

Zeus, that's really interesting. Never would have occured to me. I have a WordPress blog, I don't use the integrated html editor, and my LinkShare links get #038; added.

What's the criteria for not tracking - if a cookie is set, then they should track for sales - yes?

After changing the links using ChetF's redirect script:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...light=redirect

a merchant cookie gets set, so it should be OK (I hope!)

15 years and counting
    Quote Originally Posted by Radegast
    Zeus, that's really interesting. Never would have occured to me. I have a WordPress blog, I don't use the integrated html editor, and my LinkShare links get #038; added.
    What's the criteria for not tracking - if a cookie is set, then they should track for sales - yes?
    According to S. Messer, (a few years ago) cookies are not used for tracking at LinkShare, the cookie set by the merchant is used (only?) for return days. Remember the old thread between Todd Crawford (CJ) and Steve.
    I had my first tracking problem with the release of the first FrontPage HTML editor, (1997/1998?) I saw my LS commissions going downhill. I placed several test orders, no tracking. I looked in the code and I saw "&" replaced by "&amp;" it took months and months for LinkShare to admit they had a tracking problem with FrontPage. I talked to tech friends working at LS and they said even a slight mod of the link is a reason for not tracking. If you encode the link, it will not track either. IMHO, it could be easily solved by programming on LS backend. I don't understand their logic, they are not paid if it doesn't track.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast